Custom Copy Move Operation

Features wanted...
slimokanta

Custom Copy Move Operation

Post by slimokanta »

Custom copy is activated.

Wish1:
I want to move a PDF file, that is open in PDF-Viewer. XYplorer can be configured "On failures: ask", but there is no button to repead the operation. The standard Windows 7 Copy operation asks, if I want to repead the operation. So I can close the PDF-Viewer, click on repead an the move-operation goes further. Can update this in XYplorer.

Wish2:
I use the config "on name collisions: Overwrite if different size or date". When I move e.g. 20 files from folder1 to folder2 and 5 files of folder1 exist already in folder2, these files stay in folder1.
All files in folder1 should be deleted, if they exist in folder2 after move-operation. Can update this in XYplorer.

Thanks

slimokanta

Re: Custom Copy Move Operation

Post by slimokanta »

Hello,

I repeatedly get into the issue described in wish 2. Is there a perspective to update the begaviour of movement files with the described option, so that files do not stay in source folder?

The option "Overwrite if different size or date" was a feature request of me. I have seen, that now Windows 10 has a similar colision handling (not so good as xyplorer). The result ist the same. On movement identical files stay in source folder. So it is not an alternaitve.

Please give a feedback. Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

slimokanta wrote:Wish1:
I want to move a PDF file, that is open in PDF-Viewer. XYplorer can be configured "On failures: ask", but there is no button to repead the operation. The standard Windows 7 Copy operation asks, if I want to repead the operation. So I can close the PDF-Viewer, click on repead an the move-operation goes further. Can update this in XYplorer.
OK, I see if I can add that.
slimokanta wrote: Wish2:
I use the config "on name collisions: Overwrite if different size or date". When I move e.g. 20 files from folder1 to folder2 and 5 files of folder1 exist already in folder2, these files stay in folder1.
All files in folder1 should be deleted, if they exist in folder2 after move-operation. Can update this in XYplorer.
Ah yes, interesting. I think this should be optional. Like a checkbox "On move delete skipped sources" or so. Do you know of any other software that has this behavior?

calude

Post by calude »

admin wrote: "On move delete skipped sources"
+1

slimokanta

Post by slimokanta »

No, I do not know other apps with the described function.
Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

IMO that functionality is a little risky. I don't like the idea that sources are automatically deleted. I think "skipped" should be defined more closely (e.g. "skipped because identical files exist in target location"), or there should be a prompt before anything happens: "Delete skipped sources now?"

calude

Post by calude »

you decided the move by selecting a set of files already!!
if some of those files are kept in the origin folder then you will have to cleanup anyways

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I decided to move them to some better place. That does not mean I agree that they are auto-destroyed. Unless under very strict and safe conditions.

slimokanta

Post by slimokanta »

On name collision handling "Overwrite if different size or date", I assume, that the files in source and destination are the same (name, size, date are the same) when they are skipped, so I think as calude "if some of those files are kept in the origin folder then you will have to cleanup anyways". This is exactly, what I do now.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Currently the exact individual cause of each skipping is not logged. If skipping was caused by a block on the file by another process you would not want your file to be auto-deleted. I think this can become a can of dangerous worms. I won't open it.

slimokanta

Post by slimokanta »

But in the options of custom copy there is a difference in "name colision" and "error".
The deletion in source should only be done on name colision, especially with option "Overwrite if different size or date", not on errors.