Tabbed Exploring

Features wanted...
RalphM

Re: Tabbed Exploring

Post by RalphM »

admin wrote:Hmm, it should look like this.
Well it does.
Besides the minor differences between W2K and WXP it looks the same on my system.

Let me try to further explain it.

The row height of the inactive tabs is less than the one of the active tab, which results in two top border lines for the inactive tabs, if the background colors aren't changed.

But it's really just a minor concern.

Ok?
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

RalphM wrote:The row height of the inactive tabs is less than the one of the active tab, which results in two top border lines for the inactive tabs, if the background colors aren't changed.
Ah, now I see how you look :wink: ... I'm seeing the open tab not only higher but also in the foreground whereas the other tabs are like sitting in the back under a little roof (that's the top grey line :) ).
While I like the current design (and I tried a lot of alternatives) I agree that there are still many lines, and if I believe in anything at all then it's "less is more"! Maybe I come up with something new, maybe not, we'll see.
Thanks for your observation. Good screen design is essential!

Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

RalphM wrote:The column widths aren't remembered on my system, i.e. if I select another tab and then the customized one again, the column width settings are reset to what seems to be some standards as soon as the find results are displayed.
Yes, I have the same bug (Windows XP Pro). And not only with the columns' width, but the columns's order too (they are in non-default order in my system).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Should be fixed now, isn't it?

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

admin wrote:Should be fixed now, isn't it?
Nope, with 3.60.0162 it's even worse, the tab that was active on exit is automatically changed when restarting TV3 to "...\Documents and Settings\ActiveUser\Startmenu" and the column widths are still not remembered, sorry about that.
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Total mystery! It works perfect here, and I cannot imagine any reason why it should not elsewhere. There are no OS-compatibility issues involved here. I don't even know what questions to ask.
:? :?
EDIT: maybe your INI is confused. Close all tabs (but one), shut the app, open the INI in an editor and delete the section [Tabs], start again and see what happens.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

admin wrote:... Close all tabs (but one), shut the app, open the INI in an editor and delete the section [Tabs], start again and see what happens.
Did as you suggested with the following results:

Deleted the tab section of the INI
Started TV3 again
Changed focus in tree view to "c:\temp"
Exit TV3
Opened INI again, whereas the tabs section looked like that:

Code: Select all

[Tabs]
Count=1
I1=1
C1=C:\temp
D1=
A1=|||||||||
Restarted TV3, whereas the focus of the tree view was back to "c:\Documents and Settings\MyUser\Start menu"

If I start TV3 from by program folder "c:\temp" gets the focus.
If I start TV3 by right click on Start, Track... the behaviour is as described above.

Therefore, any other suggestions :?:

BTW another question: What's the purpose of the files "tab_X.dat" in the subdir "FindTemplates" and how are these referenced :?:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

[Tabs]
I1=1 ---> that's the tab's ID: should be a different one for each tab.
RalphM wrote:BTW another question: What's the purpose of the files "tab_X.dat" in the subdir "FindTemplates" and how are these referenced :?:
Those are the find settings for the finding tabs (X = tab's ID)

I cannot reproduce your problems. Maybe you customized your command switches? :wink:
Still does not remember the coloumn settings??

Is anybody else reading this and has some comment?

Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

admin wrote:... Close all tabs (but one), shut the app, open the INI in an editor and delete the section [Tabs], start again and see what happens.
I've done it too, this works OK at my system (v 3.60.0162). May by the reason of Ralph's problems was another?

But another problem appears. When search result is displayed on the panel and you switch to another tab - and than go back, found files list is cleared and the regular folder is displayed.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Leopoldus wrote:But another problem appears. When search result is displayed on the panel and you switch to another tab - and than go back, found files list is cleared and the regular folder is displayed.
Yes, this is by design. I'm not sure whether to change it... Any other opinions out there?

Manifold

Post by Manifold »

Hmmm. I admit that I never use the TrackerV3 search, so I have no comments..

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Manifold wrote:Hmmm. I admit that I never use the TrackerV3 search.
Uhm, why not? :o :?

RalphM

Tabbed exploring

Post by RalphM »

Hi Donald

Since you didn't know what questions to ask and me neither, I decided to uninstall TV3 completely and see what a virgin new installation would look like.

What I did:
- Uninstalled TV3 3.60.0162 with the uninstall.exe
- Deleted all remaining INI files in ...\TrackerV3 (but left the gdiplus.dll and redist.txt there)
- Cleaned my registry from the "Track..." keys
(since I still had 2 entries in the context menu for it)
- Restarted my system
- Installed the newest beta in ...\TrackerV3 (3.60.0163)

Result:
- TV3 crashes on startup with the following error message :evil:

Code: Select all

Error 	9
	Subscript out of range
	TrackerV3 3.60.0163
Dll	0
	Load@40
- The TrackerV3.ini has only the first to comment lines in it.

Please advise me how to fix it

Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Re: Tabbed exploring

Post by admin »

Yes, I could reproduce this easily :lol: Thanks for catching it!
I'll fix it in a minute...

Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

admin wrote:Yes, this is by design. I'm not sure whether to change it...
Well, let's discuss the problem in general, not only in TrackerV's aspect.imagine we have two nice pictures or two complex tables opened in two windows simultanously. You look at the first one, then you go to the second one to check something there - and when you are back at the first one --- Oops, your picture or table has gone away and you have something other here, for instance Windows XP flash sreeen. :shock: What is you feeling? Yes, right, this is :twisted: