Tabbed Exploring

Features wanted...
RalphM

Re: Tabbed exploring

Post by RalphM »

admin wrote:Concerning the bug: good description, Ralph. Just uploaded v4.00.0049... could this be the solution finally? :wink:
Hi Donald

Apparently it helped to take the time posting a more detailed description, which gave you some new :idea: , and:
The weird behaviour is gone, the tool tips of the tabs are there and correct.
I'd say: All issues concerning tabbed browsing are set for now, I'm :D :D

Thanks & congratulations again for doing such a great job.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Re: Tabbed exploring

Post by admin »

Uff! Now I'm :D :D , too!

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

Why doesn't each tab have it's own tree view? It's natural to assume they would...
test everything. hold on to the good.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:Why doesn't each tab have it's own tree view? It's natural to assume they would...
See the tabs as "views" and it becomes natural.

Leopoldus

Re: Tabbed Exploring

Post by Leopoldus »

admin wrote:Leopoldus, I agree mostly. Find results caching is an option that will become real sooner or later.
For now I have been busy with the new toolbar
Hello, Donald!
This is a quote from our old correspondence (your letter of 03/04/2005) concerning finding tabs' lists auto-refreshing every time after changing tab (see http://www.xyplorer.com/forum/viewtopic ... c&start=30. How about it now? As for me this wish is much needed.

P.S.
IMHO it was not very good idea to move managing of option "Search result to..." from "Name and location" to independent "Option" section. This option is one of them many users (at least I can tell for myself) uses many time per day and it was very convenient to do it before (as it was in the last version as a toggling button or as it was in earlier versions in the right section). Well, may be this toggling button was not very good-looking. But in opposition "Functionality vs. Beauty" I would surely prefer the functionality.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

As one who participated in a active thread to get the Option tab added, I'd suggest you read some of what happened there...because...it was WORSE for an interim period...it was first buried in Config, then moved to an obscure usage on Find tab (that would have confused a new user for sure!), so this is actually a very good compromise! The space was needed so that the Info panel could be moved to the right to allow another new feature in the lower left quadrant, as I understand it.

I find that it takes just about one more click than before, so that's not nearly as bad as it had been....granted, it's not as easy as before but sometimes you have to lose a tiny bit to gain some more features!

And I found that I was only changing it about every 2nd-3rd search so having it there isn't as bad as I had first thought...it's almost easier than on the side as original, as I can slide thru Options tab on my way to the right to do find or set toggles...

See comments in 4.50.62 about where it first ended up.

Also see http://www.xyplorer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=645

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Find results caching? Describe again, what you are thinking of:

(a) caching the item names
(b) caching the item names and the properties (size, dates...)
(c) caching the item names and the properties (size, dates...) and the find settings of that search

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Leopoldus wrote:IMHO it was not very good idea to move managing of option "Search result to..." from "Name and location" to independent "Option" section. This option is one of them many users (at least I can tell for myself) uses many time per day...
Well, if you had said many "times per minute".
Losing what one has get used to is never nice, I know. But it makes you stronger emotionally and keeps your brain fresh. If you see the Catalog (the coming up feature of the year...) you will know what it was good for...

Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

admin wrote:Find results caching? Describe again, what you are thinking of:
(a) caching the item names
(b) caching the item names and the properties (size, dates...)
(c) caching the item names and the properties (size, dates...) and the find settings of that search
It was about compulsory reseaching every time after changing tab - please, see my post from 1 Apr 2005 22:16 and 4 our postes since 02 Apr 2005 09:00 till 03 Apr 2005 21:35 at page http://www.xyplorer.com/forum/viewtopic ... c&start=30. There is no matter to repeat those here.