New user: 10 Feature Requests...

Features wanted...
sl23

New user: 10 Feature Requests...

Post by sl23 »

A few simple FR's...

I am a big fan of Cubic Explorer, I've used it for around 4-5 years now and despite it's minor bugs it is simply the best file manager for my needs.

As it is becoming apparent that the dev is not going to continue with it I'm looking for a replacement. XYplorer, MultiCommander and FreeCommander are the only viable options for me. The XYfree won't suit me so I would definitely be interested in the Lifetime License should my requests be met. Though I realise you have to choose what you think is in your best interests.

We all have our ways of working and although it's impossible to cater for everyone's different ways, it is possible to achieve this to a great extent by making apps completely customisable.

A simple interface is also a major key which few dev's seem to realise. It's good that app's have a 1000 features to cater for the masses, but most users probably only use around a third or less during the life of the app.

The more a user can change things to suit their 'style' the more likely you have a winner app. So with this I politely request the following features:

1. Open Bookmarks and Drives in a New Tab by default:
Drives - via buttons on drop down or toolbar
Bookmarks

2. Theme needs to cover ALL components of user interface. Not just Fileview, Tree and Tabs.

3. More flexible customisation options:
Toolbars - Customise items shown throughout Toolbars. Have button for the main menu instead of toolbar. Allow buttons to be moved between Toolbars.

Buttons - Change icon sets.

Menus - Ability to customise which items are shown so as to be easier to use and spend less time looking through many unused items. Something like Ffx's MenuEditor Addon

Info Panel - Ability to remove tabs not used or maybe have option for basic panel as in windows. Conform to theme colours.

4. Session Tabs - On startup I want certain Folders open each time, but no others.

5. Single display only, not everyone requires a dual display at all times.

6. Close button on all tabs.

7. Remove borders around Toolbars and Fileview area.

8. Allow custom colour for Highlighted Button border.

9. Allow custom colour for non-focused Tab Borders so as to more easily distinguish Focused Tab.

10. Auto-updater for either Portable or installer version.

Thank you for your consideration

Scott
Last edited by sl23 on 08 Mar 2015 22:08, edited 2 times in total.

aliteralmind

Re: A few simple FR's...

Post by aliteralmind »

Welcome to the club! Join us. Do not be afraid.
sl23 wrote:1. Open in New Tab by default:
Drives - via buttons on drop down or toolbar
Bookmarks
I'm not understanding this. Can you please clarify?
sl23 wrote:3. More flexible customisation options:
Menus - Ability to customise which items are shown so as to be easier to use and spend less time looking through many unused items. Something like Ffx's MenuEditor Addon
Not critical for me, especially given how much work I'm guessing it would take, but it would be really nice.
sl23 wrote:4. Session Tabs - On startup I want certain Folders open each time, but no others.
Read in help about Tab Sets. Although I'm not sure how, I'm reasonably certain there's a way to set one to be used on startup.
sl23 wrote:5. Single display only, not everyone requires a dual display at all times.
Panes menu > Dual Pane (should be called "Toggle 1 and 2 panes"). I've assigned this to Ctrl+\
sl23 wrote:6. Close button on all tabs.
Configuration > Tabs > Show X close buttons on tabs
sl23 wrote:10. Auto-updater for either Portable or installer version.
AutoUpdater script:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8744
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

sl23

Re: New user: 10 Feature Requests...

Post by sl23 »

Thank you for your quick reply.

1. Ok. Open new Tab, let's say it opens C:/, Now click on a Bkmk or Drive Buttons and XY opens these in current Tab thereby losing current location. Should open in New Tab when L-clicked. But Should be optional.

3. A minimalistic layout aids workflow, but should still allow access to all other lesser used functions via Main Menu Button.

4. I've managed to set one as start up Tab But would like two folders which allow navigation but always stay within the main path. Hence request No.1.

5. Gotcha, thanks.

6. Gotcha, again, thanks.

10. Hmmm... Not too user friendly though. Will look into that one.

11. One more FR. Is it possible to have XY set as default explorer and replace Windows Explorer?

Thanks for your feedback. Any chance of a response from the Dev?

aliteralmind

Post by aliteralmind »

1. Ok. Open new Tab, let's say it opens C:/, Now click on a Bkmk or Drive Buttons and XY opens these in current Tab thereby losing current location. Should open in New Tab when L-clicked. But Should be optional.
Interesting idea.
11. One more FR. Is it possible to have XY set as default explorer and replace Windows Explorer?
Configuration > Shell Integration > XYplorer is default file manager
Last edited by aliteralmind on 05 Feb 2015 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

sl23

Post by sl23 »

1. Yes, it works well and I've used it in Cubic Explorer for years. It only works for Drives and BkMks so doesn't open many extra Tabs without you wanting them. I love it as it has become second nature.

11. Sorry, once again I missed this option, thank you for pointing it out.

sl23

Post by sl23 »

I've been trying Several FileManagers but keep retrying XY. I may just go for that Lifetime License but would really appreciate that Menu and MenuItems could be customised and removed to cut down the clutter a bit. That's one of the main things that put me off! Would that be possible?

Thanks

Scott

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's planned! :)

sl23

Post by sl23 »

Oh good, do you know if any of my other f/r's stand a chance of being added?

Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No idea, I only work my own lists. :)

sl23

Post by sl23 »

OK thanks for the reply

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

sl23 wrote:OK thanks for the reply
Just as a comment: Typically, the longer the list of items like this by a new user, the less likely Don is to consider it/them...it's kinda like an Android phone user switching to iPhone and then requesting that it act/look like Android...now tons of user requested features have made it into XY over the years but there will always be things that each FM has that makes it unique -- if there wasn't any uniqueness, why would one ever switch products, right? And -- what may be 'critical' to you may be a 'why would anyone do that' to many others...doesn't make the request unimportant but Don has to consider what features have the biggest chance for being used by more than just one or two users because that makes best use of his time...that's just my $.02.

So - I'd highly suggest you buy the Lifetime License and then have some patience and see what happens, ok?
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

sl23

Post by sl23 »

Thank you for your comments.

I do fully appreciate all you have said though admittedly your first point had escaped me, my apologies for that. Had I thought of it I wouldn't have posted them all together. As for the other comments, well all I can say, with respect, is that if you don't ask you don't get!

My only concern is paying for a license and then being unhappy with what I've bought. I think I'm going to have a serious go with XY by making it my default manager and see how it goes. It's looking like a safe bet so far though.

Thanks again ;-)

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

sl23 wrote:I do fully appreciate all you have said though admittedly your first point had escaped me, my apologies for that. Had I thought of it I wouldn't have posted them all together.
Posting one a week or so would have made a much better "first impression" here but as you see, others have given ways to accomplish some of the items in the XY way.
As for the other comments, well all I can say, with respect, is that if you don't ask you don't get!
True - it's just how it looked to some of us - like "really nice house you have - but - paint that wall, change that sofa, put window there, etc" so it wasn't WHAT you asked for but how/when...and I think you get that now which is good!
My only concern is paying for a license and then being unhappy with what I've bought. I think I'm going to have a serious go with XY by making it my default manager and see how it goes. It's looking like a safe bet so far though.
We consistently ask new users to fully exploit XY for 30 day trial and see if they love it like we do...there are MANY things that XY does which other FM's can't so I'd really look to see what needs you have that are NOT met by prior FM that XY does vs what other FM does which XY may not.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

sl23

Post by sl23 »

My needs are actually really very simple. I'm no expert with computers but know enough to fix most problems. Therefore knowledgeable enough to use advanced software functions. But I still find little need for many many functions that most file managers have.

The list above is really the main 'differences' I require, as generally, FM's have the same functions that are standard requirements.

I'd be quite happy with XYfree, but for a few very likeable functions ~ portable file associations and open with are probably the main ones. Customisation is the next.