ZIP Support

Features wanted...
Buttonpusher

ZIP Support

Post by Buttonpusher »

Don,
I have been on a quest to find a replacement for powerdesk (which I have been using forever). Is there a plan to support ZIP in the tree and D&D in XYplorer?

I feel that the end of this quest is near! You have developed a super product!

Don McAfee

admin
Site Admin

Re: ZIP Support

Post by admin »

Don McAfee,

why don't you use McAfee? :wink: I can understand that you are used to built-in ZIP support and do not want to miss it anymore. But I have to say: I will add ZIP support on the next day I have nothing better to do -- and this day is quite far from now... (see the roadmap http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?t=830).

Don

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

Welcome to the beta club buttonpusher. It's one of those things that people have been pestering Don to do from the beginning f time. I'm sure he'll get to it eventually (as he said) but don't hold your breath for it ;) In the mean time, why not use WinRAR, or if you want something free (that sometimes compresses better than RAR, sometimes not) give 7zip a try?
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)

mikes16

Post by mikes16 »

I second the wish for Zip support.

It is SO convienient in DoPus to navigate through zip files like they are folders. I work with a lot of zip files and it is nice to not have to UNZIP them to get to their content - I can just double click, the zip opens like it is a folder, then there are all the files that are zipped. Once I am done looking at them or opening them, I can back out and the zip is there. I store a lot of files as ZIPs because it takes up less space.

With ANY other zip manager I would need to unzip, view the files, then delete the unzipped directory.

More steps. Less productivity. It is all about least amount of mouse movement and least number of clicks.

scoleman2272

Third adding zip file support

Post by scoleman2272 »

I'll buy when zip file support is added. Until this it's useless to me

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: Third adding zip file support

Post by j_c_hallgren »

scoleman2272 wrote:I'll buy when zip file support is added. Until this it's useless to me
While it may not quite as useful or practical to you without zip files, I'm sure there are thousands (maybe even tens of thousands) of files on your system that are not zip's and where XY would be very useful in dealing with...

Ok, so it may mean dealing with two different file managers, but some of us use more than XY depending on what we need to do, since we know XY isn't the tool for everything everywhere, but for those things that XY is best at, there doesn't seem to be another product like it...now granted, I've not fully tried all the various FM's, but some of them seem to have such a steep learning curve that I didn't even bother trying those.

Besides, XY has one thing that many products don't: Great support! Both from the author and us users...

So why not see how XY works for all those non-zip files, ok? And even for zip files, you don't always need to know exactly what's in them or work with the contents, right? For example, using the scenario that got me into XY, do you really need zip support to find the zip file that was created yesterday between noon and 1pm that you misplaced? No, but XY find using date and time will do so...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

scoleman2272 wrote:I'll buy when zip file support is added. Until this it's useless to me
What exactly do you mean by zip file support? If it's justing packing and extracting then any shell integrated zip tool will do.

scoleman2272

Post by scoleman2272 »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
While it may not quite as useful or practical to you without zip files, I'm sure there are thousands (maybe even tens of thousands) of files on your system that are not zip's and where XY would be very useful in dealing with...

Ok, so it may mean dealing with two different file managers, but some of us use more than XY depending on what we need to do, since we know XY isn't the tool for everything everywhere, but for those things that XY is best at, there doesn't seem to be another product like it...now granted, I've not fully tried all the various FM's, but some of them seem to have such a steep learning curve that I didn't even bother trying those.

Besides, XY has one thing that many products don't: Great support! Both from the author and us users...

So why not see how XY works for all those non-zip files, ok? And even for zip files, you don't always need to know exactly what's in them or work with the contents, right? For example, using the scenario that got me into XY, do you really need zip support to find the zip file that was created yesterday between noon and 1pm that you misplaced? No, but XY find using date and time will do so...
Perhaps my wording was a bit strong. I used XYplorer for two days and It was incredible. It has (almost) everything I want/need. The problem is that several times I ran across a zip file and when I tried to extract by drag and drop to XYExplore I got an error (I saw that someone else on this board documented this error). The error dialog gives an option to copy to clipboard but nothing gets copied there.

Except for this one missing feature XYPlorer has everything. I don't want to have to go back and forth between tools

Fedorov

Post by Fedorov »

While it's nice to have everything in ONE tool I actually disagree on this one. Certain individual tools are better and it would keep XYplorer from turning into DOPUS bloatware.

WinRAR has done the job perfectly for me for so many years and if you want a FREE alternative then the suggested 7-zip is fine.

Just my own opinion anyway :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

scoleman2272 wrote:Perhaps my wording was a bit strong. I used XYplorer for two days and It was incredible. It has (almost) everything I want/need. The problem is that several times I ran across a zip file and when I tried to extract by drag and drop to XYExplore I got an error (I saw that someone else on this board documented this error). The error dialog gives an option to copy to clipboard but nothing gets copied there.

Except for this one missing feature XYPlorer has everything. I don't want to have to go back and forth between tools
"missing feature"...? Sounds more like a bug to me. What zip utility are you using?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Fedorov wrote:While it's nice to have everything in ONE tool I actually disagree on this one. Certain individual tools are better and it would keep XYplorer from turning into DOPUS bloatware.

WinRAR has done the job perfectly for me for so many years and if you want a FREE alternative then the suggested 7-zip is fine.

Just my own opinion anyway :)
Exactly my opinion, too. WinZip does the job in my case for many years.

Only a portability related thought has weakened my position a bit: When traveling with XY to a host system with no zipper installed, it would be nice to have the basic functions available (zip + unzip). I might add that when I get a convincing vision of the UI.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

admin wrote:"missing feature"...? Sounds more like a bug to me. What zip utility are you using?
I think this is a scene to follow? I've tested a bit, with my zip-utility IZArc, current version 3.81. (It's free to use everywhere.)

Opened a .zip of XY (xyplorer_xxx.zip) and tried to drag the contained XYplorer_xxx.exe to a directory inside XYplorer - cursor changed to sign meaning "can't drop here". Opened WindowsExplorer, draged same file to same directory - it was extracted without a problem.
That is: I can drag an entry of a zipped file from IZArc to WinExplorer, but cannot drag it to XYplorer.

Don, I think you are right: sounds like a bug?

mwb1100

Post by mwb1100 »

admin wrote:missing feature"...? Sounds more like a bug to me. What zip utility are you using?
It sounds very much the same as is discussed here: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... highlight=

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

PeterH wrote:Don, I think you are right: sounds like a bug?
Sure does, I believe Don has no problem with WinZIP, and I do such drag&drops with WinRAR (best archiver of all) regulary just fine, and there's been report of users with 7zip having no problem either.

Does that mean IZArc does things differently, is it coming from XY, or from IZArc, I have no idea.
Suddently I feel not so helpful, but it's too late now so I'm posting anyways ;)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

bergfex

Post by bergfex »

jacky wrote: Does that mean IZArc does things differently, is it coming from XY, or from IZArc, I have no idea.
Suddently I feel not so helpful, but it's too late now so I'm posting anyways ;)
I just tried it with Squeez (speedproject.de). It also doesn't work.