Cloud functionality

Features wanted...
zer0

Cloud functionality

Post by zer0 »

While the word "cloud" is often thrown around quite frivolously, I have to say that there have been quite a few occasions when I wished to be able to grab a snippet of a script on my home machine to use on my work one for a particular task. Therefore, I would like for XY to bring out cloud support. There are multiple use cases for that:

a) Being able to access scripts, tags, catalog, PFAs. PFIs, etc on another machine
b) Stemming from a), being able to sync those items between multiple machines
c) Backup that data so that, should a machine be unrecoverable, configuration restore can be performed from the cloud

I know that some people have suggested that Dropbox can be used for some/all of the above, but I am looking for native integration with the usual snazziness that Don brings to the table.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

bdeshi

Re: Cloud functionality

Post by bdeshi »

I know Don was once talking about something like this. Like pulling snippets, custom columns (maybe) etc from an online location.

Let me untangle the threads...

edit: this is apparently what I recalled: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2853
sorry, not what you're looking for.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Nope, it's not. Thinking out loud, the License Lounge can be the online portal for where those things can be viewed in the browser.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Are you suggesting that Don host a backup/syncing service for XY?
or
Provide the capabilities for users to point XY to their own, user-supplied backup/syncing service?

If the former, how much are you willing to pay to subscribe to such a service after the price of an XY license?

zer0

Post by zer0 »

TheQwerty wrote:Are you suggesting that Don host a backup/syncing service for XY?
or
Provide the capabilities for users to point XY to their own, user-supplied backup/syncing service?

If the former, how much are you willing to pay to subscribe to such a service after the price of an XY license?
The former and I would like for it to be included as a lifetime license perk.
Windows 7/10

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Bold.

Wouldn't it be much better if Don just paid customers to use it?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:biggrin:

aliteralmind

Post by aliteralmind »

Make your settings folder a Git repository, and back it up to Bitbucket. Then you can open it (is it called "pull"ing?) at any other location.

Versioned backup and syncing, all at once.
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

zer0

Post by zer0 »

aliteralmind wrote:Make your settings folder a Git repository, and back it up to Bitbucket. Then you can open it (is it called "pull"ing?) at any other location.

Versioned backup and syncing, all at once.
Thanks, but I am after a native solution within the product. As mentioned before, I already know I can "outsource" this to other products.
Windows 7/10

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Likely to need to move from one laptop to another in the not too distant future, so this ability to just "pull" the configuration (to include MRUs, history and the like) from the cloud would come in nicely.
Windows 7/10

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Windows already offers a solution at the "right" layer (the file system): move your <data> folder to your cloud drive (or folder) and create a symbolic-link with the same name pointing to the outsourced folder there.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Filehero wrote:Windows already offers a solution at the "right" layer (the file system): move your <data> folder to your cloud drive (or folder) and create a symbolic-link with the same name pointing to the outsourced folder there.
Please do not take offence, but I really wish people would stop offering "solutions" that do not involve XY. If I wanted to do this at the cloud storage provider layer level, I would not be posting here. My desire is for XY to provide a native experience that does not require reliance on a 3rd party cloud storage provider.
Windows 7/10

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Then please change the thread title to something, it is really misleading. You want to have Don starting is own online-storage service.

zer0 wrote:If I wanted to do this at the cloud storage provider layer level, I would not be posting here. My desire is for XY to provide a native experience that does not require reliance on a 3rd party cloud storage provider.
Frankly (and sorry, Don) I would always prefer a 3rd party provider whose core business is cloud storage.

Besides that, I still didn't get what's behind your "native experience". Currently I have to sync the "Filehero XY config" between 3 machines. How do you think putting this "one" settings config to an "online remote place" would help there?

My 3 machines represent 3 environments with differing file-system structures there is no "one global config" (especially true for scripts, UDCs or bookmarks). All my env-aware stuff, be it. scripts, favorites, path-dependent colorings/highlights, icons necessarily is (and stays) existing in exactly 3 flavors.
zer0 wrote: a) Being able to access scripts, tags, catalog, PFAs. PFIs, etc on another machine
b) Stemming from a), being able to sync those items between multiple machines
Simple access is not a problem. But how should using those functional items across different machines actually work without heaps of conflicts, script errors and <?>-icons? How should a "centralized service" help in what is a central design task of the "inventor" of these functional items?

But I may still haven't understood what you're exactly expecting from this "cloud service" in terms of a) (besides backupping, of course) what a single copy task between machines couldn't do (including backups, of course).

zer0

Post by zer0 »

There are 2 purposes that I am looking for from the cloud configuration:

a) Easy protection of all my configuration, history, etc in the cloud for DR purposes
b) Easy ability to restore a fresh installation of XY as one of the profiles saved in the cloud

The a) is interesting and obvious, so let's focus on b) for a moment. I want to be able to assign a specific profile to each XY installation and have each profile -- with its corresponding configuration, history, etc -- saved in the cloud. For example, call my personal PC installation "Home", call my work laptop install "Work" and so on. If i need to transition from one machine to another -- or if I add another machine to my collection -- I could just install XY, plug in my name and key and be presented with a list of profiles to choose from (or choose to start afresh) to pick one that I feel will be most suitable. Once the profile is chosen, all the config -- including open tabs, state of the tree -- is pulled down and applied. I am then presented with a box to enter the name of this new machine profile (optional).

At the moment, all those various workarounds involving 3rd party cloud storage providers put the burden of implementation and maintenance on me and the ease of use in doing so would not be as great as experience that I described above. Hopefully the above clarifies my desires in this area.
Windows 7/10

cpusrvc

Post by cpusrvc »

On Nov. 10, I posted my cloud support request (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16645)

To combine these, here is my post:
My apologies if this is already discussed in another thread, but i could not find any.

Are there plans to integrate file browsing for cloud services? Android has the excellent X-plore file manager (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... mes.Xplore) that has excellent integration of multiple cloud services (Web Storage), FTP, etc. so the user can use these files as if they are local. Here is a screen shot of their implementation:
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (32.23 KiB) Viewed 3225 times