Request More Detailed Error Reports

Features wanted...
Zardoz2293

Request More Detailed Error Reports

Post by Zardoz2293 »

I've encountered many times, as I'm sure we all have, for one reason or another an error message during a copy or move operation. I often receive the "The parameter is incorrect" which unfortunately tells me nothing of the root cause of the problem. In this case the error was generated immediately and not a single byte was copied. Really this part is what I'd call perfect logic and handling of what caused the problem. However, I don't know the offending reason / root cause. Clearly, the algorithm knows what the problem is but is keeping that information secret and just tells me something is wrong. There was more than twice the space available on the USB device. Eventually, I discovered the target USB device cluster size upset XYcopy. I'm requesting that when known facts exist please have that data reported in the error. In this case it would have said something of the effect "The target device has a cluster size of 32K and XYcopy only supports 4K..." I would have then saved much time figuring the cause. I also would have laughed and said to myself this XY product sure kicks ass. I'm sure many others would welcome more detailed/specific error reporting too. Requesting any enhancement to more detailed / specific cause of errors when they occur and to have this as an evolving process.

Code: Select all

FAIL (other reasons)       New  C:\Temp\Install\vs2013\en_visual_studio_ultimate_2013_with_update_4_x86_dvd_5935075.iso -> E:\en_visual_studio_ultimate_2013_with_update_4_x86_dvd_5935075.iso | The parameter is incorrect.
What are your thoughts?
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720