Support for Portable Devices

Features wanted...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Support for Portable Devices

Post by admin »

Report from the lab: Making good progress. Next week you should be able to list your files on portable devices. 8)

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:Making good progress. Next week you should be able to list your files on portable devices. 8)
8)

Mesh

Post by Mesh »

admin wrote:Report from the lab: Making good progress. Next week you should be able to list your files on portable devices. 8)

Excellent!

Just to clarify, when you say list your files, does that mean browse only? No copying/moving files to, from, or within?

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

The answer I'd expect:

"Cool, keep cool :biggrin: "

(In other words: it seems Don's working step for step...)
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Mesh wrote:Just to clarify, when you say list your files, does that mean browse only? No copying/moving files to, from, or within?
C'mon, you don't really expect Don to come up with such a quarter-baked solution, don't you? Rather he would resign, I guess. :wink: :beer:

Linkaday
Location: Hamburg, Germany - Win 10 Home v22H2 x64 1920x1080 (100%)

Post by Linkaday »

Mesh wrote:

Just to clarify, when you say list your files, does that mean browse only? No copying/moving files to, from, or within?
You´re meshin' with the Don! :biggrin:

Borut

Post by Borut »

PeterH wrote:(In other words: it seems Don's working step for step...)
It is the way to go and I would expect it to be so. The bases for the legendary stability of betas.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Working on it around the clock, but it's really a LOT to do. Might take some more days before you see the next step...

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Moin Don,
admin wrote:..., but it's really a LOT to do.
Frankly, I haven't expected the remaining 5% taking that long. :o :shock:

More seriously, what about MTP is that challenging (perhaps better: 'kaputt') that even a gifted guy like you has to code day and night for such a long time?

FH

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's an interface to a file system format that could not have been predicted years ago. XY is a highly optimized machine. Optimization is largely based on assumptions. These assumptions are wrong now for many many places.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

I see, a major refactoring which is a highly sensible task even if planned (and right from the design stage). Thanks for the follow up.

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

admin wrote:It's an interface to a file system format that could not have been predicted years ago. XY is a highly optimized machine. Optimization is largely based on assumptions. These assumptions are wrong now for many many places.
Yikes. Sounds like even more "fun". It's crazy how sometimes we plan so much but unexpected things always turn things a full 180.

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 27 Jan 2016 20:52, edited 1 time in total.

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 27 Jan 2016 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Hi Don,

Code: Select all

v14.80.0005 - 2015-01-07 20:53
    + Portable Devices: Now you can browse a device in tree and list. You cannot
      do much else yet, but the Breadcrumb Bar should work, the Address Bar, even
      image thumbnails and thumbnails caching (though the thumbnails are much
      smaller than under Windows).
Yeah, congrats to the next step! I hope, you have lots of :beer: arround. :D

Confirmations:
On my phone every file is shown as in WE, Breadcrumb and listing in drive lists works, too. Icons do match (see grindax's post). :tup:

You cannot do much else yet, ...
Just to clarify, this includes displayment of folder sizes, right?

- USB Path, aka "USB Device Path", is the "real" path to an item on a
        Portable Device as it is understood by the Windows shell.
Where can I see this path? Better: is this relevant for a dumb user like me?

- The speed is pretty lousy, ...There's is some room for optimization later...
If you'll get in on par with WE it's ok. ;-)

Findings:
- on the first trials the new phone tab hasn't neither used the default list settings (every option was unchecked etc.) nor has remembered them upon configuration. After the 3rd or 4th trial it besame persistent as it seems.

After some more checks: This 'setting lost' somehow is related to the password activation of the lock screen. Update: Not really. Perhaps it's just a matter of time (waiting...), will observe further.
Yes, at least for the tree, the phone node just vanishes (automatically of by refreshing the list, for instance) from it after some minutes, even if the phone is till shown in the list (including drive list). Only a restart makes it reappear there (<F4> doesn't help).

Edit
--+ every hit on <F4> and almost every hit on <F5> makes the phone tree node go away over here! :bug:
--+ the quirks with the list settings are obviously associated with the newly introduced list modes for portable devices which are still in the making, in other words they seem to be expected.

- a path of an unplugged phone seems to survive in the Hotlist

- in some relation I haven't really understood yet the locked tree sometimes gets expanded upon plugin/off the phone (using the path of another tab)

- when switching layouts/tabsets with the SessionManager the tree entry gets lost on every switch. There must be a SC which causes this. Any ideas?

Btw, how can I make the default icon sticky on the tab?

Good job!

FH