admin
Site Admin

Re: Support for Portable Devices

Post by admin »

Got it! :beer:

elqasar

Post by elqasar »

All is fixed now. No more crash at startup with either my Android device or iPhone connected, and connecting or disconnecting these devices causes the tree to update correctly while XYplorer is running.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

elqasar wrote:Filehero, but are you seeing portable devices appear and disappear correctly in the XYplorer tree on Windows 10?
No - how does it come you think so?
elqasar wrote:Since 1 June .....
14th of September 2015.

@Don: I'm almost tempted to come up with some Dancing Elephants. Fix confirmed! :appl: :appl: :beer: :beer: :D :D

Thanks,
Filehero

elqasar

Post by elqasar »

Filehero wrote:
14th of September 2015.
I said that based on the fact other users had not replied in this thread since 1 June when I brought it up, and because earlier today when I brought it up again, in this thread, Donald said "I'm not aware of such problems. Works fine here and no such complaints from others."

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

elqasar wrote:Works fine here and no such complaints from others."
Knowing how hard it was to come up with this feature I was trying to show some mercy with Don and didn't bother him too much with "my" problem.

The rest of the "no-complainers" have completely moved to the (unencrypted) cloud, I guess. :lol:

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

No more crashes so far. Good job!
:appl: :biggrin: :appl:
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

elqasar wrote:
Filehero wrote:
14th of September 2015.
I said that based on the fact other users had not replied in this thread since 1 June when I brought it up, and because earlier today when I brought it up again, in this thread, Donald said "I'm not aware of such problems. Works fine here and no such complaints from others."
I was aware of the crash, but I indeed had forgotten about the refresh issue.

When trying to reproduce the bugs months ago I had used by phone and my camera, but not my tablet. Phone and camera had no problems. Now yesterday I used the tablet and, bam, the crash! This is surprising because when I originally developed the Portable Devices support I only had the tablet, and never saw the crash. An explanation might be that the crash only comes with the compiled version, but not in my development environment. This is a rare thing to happen, but I have seen it before. Makes the hunt much harder, of course. Well, great that all is good now!!! :biggrin:

PS: Oh, and the nature of this particular crash bug is very exotic. I've never seen this before. It wasn't a coding mistake or a logic flaw, but something wrong deep under the hood of Windows that needed a pretty creative workaround. I feel lucky that I have found it so fast. This could have taken days... :maf:

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

admin wrote:When trying to reproduce the bugs months ago I had used by phone and my camera, but not my tablet. Phone and camera had no problems. Now yesterday I used the tablet and, bam, the crash! This is surprising because when I originally developed the Portable Devices support I only had the tablet, and never saw the crash. An explanation might be that the crash only comes with the compiled version, but not in my development environment. This is a rare thing to happen, but I have seen it before. Makes the hunt much harder, of course. Well, great that all is good now!!! :biggrin:

PS: Oh, and the nature of this particular crash bug is very exotic. I've never seen this before. It wasn't a coding mistake or a logic flaw, but something wrong deep under the hood of Windows that needed a pretty creative workaround. I feel lucky that I have found it so fast. This could have taken days... :maf:
Oh, this was quite a hunt... You know, I think we'd love to read more of devlog adventures like this. :ugeek:

--- --- ---
I saw one small intermittent glitch when plugging in devices in usb-storage mode, with This PC view visible: the portable drives show up, but I have to put focus on them to get the storage meter/status. Will be on the lookout. Thought I'd let you know.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Filehero wrote:
elqasar wrote:Filehero, but are you seeing portable devices appear and disappear correctly in the XYplorer tree on Windows 10?
No - how does it come you think so?
14th of September 2015.

@Don: I'm almost tempted to come up with some Dancing Elephants. Fix confirmed! :appl: :appl: :beer: :beer: :D :D

Thanks,
Filehero
Looks like I have to remove this fix. It was too general = too many undesired refreshes.
Currently I see no other way to make the elephants dance again... :|

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:Looks like I have to remove this fix. It was too general = too many undesired refreshes.
Currently I see no other way to make the elephants dance again... :|
That's a pity, of course. But so be it.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Code: Select all

v17.30.0005 - 2016-11-05 12:52
    - Removed a fix from v17.20.0030 - 2016-09-27 21:02: It was too general and 
      generated too many undesired refreshes of tree and list:
        ! Portable Devices: On Win10 the automatic refresh on plug in/out did 
          not work. Fixed.
      >>> Tried something experimental in ways of a better fix.
>>> No automatic refresh happens. But it's ok for me, reset tree does work for me.

Thanks for trying. :)