Support for Portable Devices

Features wanted...
Enternal

Re: Support for Portable Devices

Post by Enternal »

Congratulation on another step! It's inching more and more towards a very good state :biggrin:
I'm not surprised about the speed anyways. Even in WE, it's still pretty lousy. MTP in general is lousy like it does not seem to multitask easily. It's quite serial in a lot of cases.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

No success with the original Kindle Fire, which has an Amazon subset of Android operating system. "Removable Disk (P:)" displays in the tree for about a second or two then disappears. Even with WE however it displays Removable disk (P:) in the tree but you can't access it. A message comes up when I click on it that says "Please insert a disk in Removable Disk (P:)". My girlfriend has a brand new Kindle Fire HDX, I'll see what happens on that later.

Edit: I loaded my girlfriend's new Kindle Fire HDX and it does show in XY's tree as "Fire" with an icon, though there is nothing in the list and nothing happens when you double click on Fire.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

Borut

Post by Borut »

I have tried under WinXP SP3 with a Samsung Tablet (GT-N8000, Android 4.1.2) and Nikon Coolpix L20 camera, using a fresh 14.80.0005 XY.

In both cases I was not able to find anything anywhere (tree, list, buttons) after explicit refreshes, restarts of XY and the like. Both devices appeared in MS WE however.

Just in case this information could be of some use.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Borut wrote:I have tried under WinXP SP3 with a Samsung Tablet (GT-N8000, Android 4.1.2) and Nikon Coolpix L20 camera, using a fresh 14.80.0005 XY.

In both cases I was not able to find anything anywhere (tree, list, buttons) after explicit refreshes, restarts of XY and the like. Both devices appeared in MS WE however.

Just in case this information could be of some use.
Whoops, I did not know that it's supposed to work under XP. :shock: It did not work under my XP. So I currently limited it to Vista or later.

So you can browse your camera in WE and also copy files from camera to computer?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

klownboy wrote:No success with the original Kindle Fire, which has an Amazon subset of Android operating system. "Removable Disk (P:)" displays in the tree for about a second or two then disappears. Even with WE however it displays Removable disk (P:) in the tree but you can't access it. A message comes up when I click on it that says "Please insert a disk in Removable Disk (P:)". My girlfriend has a brand new Kindle Fire HDX, I'll see what happens on that later.

Edit: I loaded my girlfriend's new Kindle Fire HDX and it does show in XY's tree as "Fire" with an icon, though there is nothing in the list and nothing happens when you double click on Fire.
If it does not work in WE it won't in XY. I cannot do any wonders here.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

grindax wrote:Icons mismatch:

Explorer:
we_nexus4.png
XY:
xy_nexus4.png
FYI: icons are managed under this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB
Hmm, I see no other way to get the icon. :?

Are you using some Windows skin?

Anybody else gets a wrong icon?

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:Whoops, I did not know that it's supposed to work under XP. :shock: It did not work under my XP. So I currently limited it to Vista or later.?
Quote from http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol:
Wikipedia wrote:Microsoft Windows unterstützt MTP ab Vista (außer N-Versionen) nativ. XP und Windows Server 2003 unterstützen MTP nur, wenn der Windows Media Player 10 installiert ist.
And from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol:
Wikipedia wrote:MTP is supported in Windows XP if Windows Media Player 10 or later versions are installed. Windows Vista and later have MTP support built in.
:wink:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Filehero wrote:Hi Don,

Code: Select all

v14.80.0005 - 2015-01-07 20:53
    + Portable Devices: Now you can browse a device in tree and list. You cannot
      do much else yet, but the Breadcrumb Bar should work, the Address Bar, even
      image thumbnails and thumbnails caching (though the thumbnails are much
      smaller than under Windows).
Yeah, congrats to the next step! I hope, you have lots of :beer: arround. :D

Confirmations:
On my phone every file is shown as in WE, Breadcrumb and listing in drive lists works, too. Icons do match (see grindax's post). :tup:

You cannot do much else yet, ...
Just to clarify, this includes displayment of folder sizes, right?

- USB Path, aka "USB Device Path", is the "real" path to an item on a
        Portable Device as it is understood by the Windows shell.
Where can I see this path? Better: is this relevant for a dumb user like me?

- The speed is pretty lousy, ...There's is some room for optimization later...
If you'll get in on par with WE it's ok. ;-)

Findings:
- on the first trials the new phone tab hasn't neither used the default list settings (every option was unchecked etc.) nor has remembered them upon configuration. After the 3rd or 4th trial it besame persistent as it seems.

After some more checks: This 'setting lost' somehow is related to the password activation of the lock screen. Update: Not really. Perhaps it's just a matter of time (waiting...), will observe further.
Yes, at least for the tree, the phone node just vanishes (automatically of by refreshing the list, for instance) from it after some minutes, even if the phone is till shown in the list (including drive list). Only a restart makes it reappear there (<F4> doesn't help).

Edit
--+ every hit on <F4> and almost every hit on <F5> makes the phone tree node go away over here! :bug:
--+ the quirks with the list settings are obviously associated with the newly introduced list modes for portable devices which are still in the making, in other words they seem to be expected.

- a path of an unplugged phone seems to survive in the Hotlist

- in some relation I haven't really understood yet the locked tree sometimes gets expanded upon plugin/off the phone (using the path of another tab)

- when switching layouts/tabsets with the SessionManager the tree entry gets lost on every switch. There must be a SC which causes this. Any ideas?

Btw, how can I make the default icon sticky on the tab?

Good job!

FH
- displayment of folder sizes: PD is so slow already, I don't think folder sizes should be supported. It would takes ages.
- USB Path: there is a column for this... No, you cannot do much with the path, but it contains some hardcore info that might be useful for whatever... look it up in the web...
- Your other Findings: hm, I don't get that here at all, but I'm only testing witha tablet and a camera ATM.
- how can I make the default icon sticky on the tab? You mean the PD icon? No way. You will only see it when the PD is plugged in (and in active state -- as it appears to fall into sleep on your end).

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote: - Your other Findings: hm, I don't get that here at all, but I'm only testing witha tablet and a camera ATM.
Not even the F5-triggered 'escape' from tree? Strange.

I'll wait, perhaps it gets 'auto'-fixed with one of the next betas.

FH

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Filehero wrote:
admin wrote:Whoops, I did not know that it's supposed to work under XP. :shock: It did not work under my XP. So I currently limited it to Vista or later.?
Quote from http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol:
Wikipedia wrote:Microsoft Windows unterstützt MTP ab Vista (außer N-Versionen) nativ. XP und Windows Server 2003 unterstützen MTP nur, wenn der Windows Media Player 10 installiert ist.
And from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol:
Wikipedia wrote:MTP is supported in Windows XP if Windows Media Player 10 or later versions are installed. Windows Vista and later have MTP support built in.
:wink:
Aha! Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Filehero wrote:Not even the F5-triggered 'escape' from tree? Strange.
Semi-yep, F4 is mis-behaving. Fixing now...

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 27 Jan 2016 20:53, edited 2 times in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK; but I think I'll stick with the default icon for now.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Just a short report: Nikon D300

Setting "Mass Storage": still OK :roll: (Works as if it's an external drive)

Setting "MTP/PTP"
- you said it: slooow (but don't mind (in the beginning)!)
- easy to see all the folder structure
- when selecting a lowest-level folder (where the pictures are in) it takes very much time, and doesn't show activity - you really might expect it hangs. But after some time the filelist is shown.

OK: time for a folder is dependent of number of contained files - and this folder has 1250 files :whistle: Takes about 70sec - without hint of any activity.
Next folder 302 files: ~20sec. But this time: after ~5sec "Prog antwortet nicht" and cursor starts cycling.

Delays sometimes are rather long - and bad if you might expect that nothing will happen.

(By the way: connection by USB2.)
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

If it does not work in WE it won't in XY. I cannot do any wonders here.
No worries. I have utility programs that can access the Kindle Fire file system even through WiFi. Thanks.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440