Alternatives to moving files and opening new tabs

Features wanted...
aliteralmind

Alternatives to moving files and opening new tabs

Post by aliteralmind »

I'm sort of blown away by XYplorer so far. Here are the first feature requests that come to mind:

I wish there were more flexible ways of moving items, and for creating new tabs in either pane.

I'd like to be able to drag a folder or file to a breadcrumb bar item, or to a sub-item under one of its triangles, to move/copy it there.

I'm especially interested in emulating the behavior of Google Chrome and Firefox, where you can open a new tab by dragging a link to either between two currently-open tabs, or to the empty space on the tab-bar (either or the open-a-new-tab plus-sign, or the empty space next to it). In XYplorer, I'd like to:
- Drag a breadcrumb-bar item, or a triangle-sub-item, to the spot where you want the new tab. (I don't think it makes sense to drag a breadcrumb item for the sake of copying or moving its contents.)
- Drag a folder from either a list or the tree to the spot where you want the new tab.

Finally, I'd like some alternatives to opening a new tab via the mouse (I don't like Ctrl+double-clicking or middle-clicking a folder). For example:
- Alt+left-click/right-click a folder, in either a pane or in the tree, to open it in a new tab in the *active* or *inactive* pane.
- Ctrl+Alt+left-click/right-click a folder to open it in the *left* or *right* pane.
- Same mouse/key-combinations for when clicking on a breadcrumb item or sub-item.

That is all. For now :)
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

bdeshi

Re: Alternatives to moving files and opening new tabs

Post by bdeshi »

Well, XY is mainly a file manager, so drag-drop file operations have more weight than drag-drop tab creation. :wink: Not saying that would be a bad thing though.

Breadcrumbs: there have been some more threads for making the breadcrumb more interactive. But alas. (example: follow the links: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 293#p58383)

Similarly there has been some (so far unsuccessful) discussion to add mouse triggers to customizable keyboard shortcuts. But again, alas. http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 066#p64158

I vehemently support both! +1 +1
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

aliteralmind

Post by aliteralmind »

Perhaps these two context menu commands
- "Open all selected folders in new tab (active pane)"
- "Open all selected folders in new tab (inactive pane)"
would make the above stuff less critical.
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

aliteralmind

Post by aliteralmind »

The more I think about it, the more these two open-all-selected-folders commands would render much of my original suggestion less important.
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

aliteralmind wrote:Perhaps these two context menu commands
- "Open all selected folders in new tab (active pane)"
- "Open all selected folders in new tab (inactive pane)"
would make the above stuff less critical.
Easily scripted. Open Tools -> Customize File Associations. Click the pencil button at the bottom to convert the dialog into a textbox, and add the following lines to the text (make sure they're in their own lines)

Code: Select all

+|"Open folders in new tabs"\>::$SelDirs = <get SelectedItemsPathNames>;foreach ($itm,$SelDirs,<crlf>){if (exists("$itm")==2){tab(new,$itm)}};
+|"Open folders in new tabs (in inactive pane)"\>::$SelDirs = <get SelectedItemsPathNames>;#802/*togl.pane*/;foreach ($itm,$SelDirs,<crlf>){if (exists("$itm")==2){tab(new,$itm)}} wait 1;#802;
[/size]Now select folders, right click -> Open With -> Open folders in new tabs/Open folders in new tabs (in inactive pane)
[ this user is asleep ]

aliteralmind

Post by aliteralmind »

SammaySarkar wrote:Now select folders, right click -> Open With -> Open folders in new tabs/Open folders in new tabs (in inactive pane)
Wonderful!

I can get this working via the Ctrl+Alt+Enter keyboard shortcut, but I don't see any "Open With" option when I right click. This is true both in my current XYplorer setup, and when I start it with "/fresh".

Windows 8.1, 64-bit

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Make sure you have it enabled under Configuration > General > Menus, Mouse, Safety, Context Menus
Ensure Custom Items in shell context menu is checked (based on your screenshot it is) and then click File List... to configure which items are shown.
screenshot.10.png
screenshot.10.png (54.4 KiB) Viewed 2479 times

aliteralmind

Post by aliteralmind »

That's it.

Thank you both!!
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

aliteralmind

Post by aliteralmind »

SammaySarkar wrote:

+|"Open folders in new tabs"\>::$SelDirs = <get SelectedItemsPathNames>;foreach ($itm,$SelDirs,<crlf>){if (exists("$itm")==2){tab(new,$itm)}};
+|"Open folders in new tabs (in inactive pane)"\>::$SelDirs = <get SelectedItemsPathNames>;#802/*togl.pane*/;foreach ($itm,$SelDirs,<crlf>){if (exists("$itm")==2){tab(new,$itm)}} wait 1;#802;
Is there a way to extend this to shortcuts that happen to *point* to folders?
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

*.lnk shortcuts to folders should also popup these Open With menu items.

(*.lnks automagically inherit their target's Portable File Associations)
[ this user is asleep ]

aliteralmind

Post by aliteralmind »

I've been running it via the User scripting menu. Only actual folders work that way.

I'll consider moving it to Open With...
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

aliteralmind

Post by aliteralmind »

Tried it both ways. It doesn't work if a folder-shortcut is selected, whether selected via Open With, or via a key command to an item in the User script menu. The only two choices given, though, are the two "Open folders in new tab" items.

+mp3>C:\applications\audio\Audacity\audacity.exe
+bat,html,sh,txt,py>"C:\applications\text\textpad_7\TextPad.exe" C:\applications\text\textpad_7\working.tws
+bat,html,sh,txt,py>C:\applications\text\sublime_text_3\sublime_text.exe
txt>Notepad
txt;rtf>Wordpad
|"Copy file size in bytes" *>::copytext <cursize>
|"Append modified date" \;*>::rename , '*-<datem yyyymmdd>'
+|"Open folders in new tabs (in inactive pane)"\>::$SelDirs = <get SelectedItemsPathNames>;/*togl.pane:*/#802;foreach ($itm,$SelDirs,<crlf>){if (exists("$itm")==2){tab(new,$itm)}} wait 1;#802;
+|"Open folders in new tabs"\>::$SelDirs = <get SelectedItemsPathNames>;                   foreach ($itm,$SelDirs,<crlf>){if (exists("$itm")==2){tab(newb,$itm)}};
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Oh. :oops:
Right, what I said earlier is true, but our script needed to be modified to work with shortcut targets.

Try these sripts in place of the earlier ones:

+|"Open folders in new tabs"\>::$SelDirs= <get SelectedItemsPathNames>;foreach ($itm,$SelDirs,<crlf>){if (exists("$itm")==2){$target=$itm}if (getpathcomponent($itm,ext)=="lnk"){$itm=property("#LinkTarget",$itm);if (exists("$itm")==2){$target=$itm}} tab(newb,$itm)}
+|"Open folders in new tabs (in inactive pane)"\>::$SelDirs= <get SelectedItemsPathNames>;/*togl.pane:*/#802;foreach ($itm,$SelDirs,<crlf>){if (exists("$itm")==2){$target=$itm}if (getpathcomponent($itm,ext)=="lnk"){$itm=property("#LinkTarget",$itm);if (exists("$itm")==2){$target=$itm}} tab(newb,$itm)} wait 1;/*togl.pane.back*/#802;
[ this user is asleep ]

aliteralmind

Post by aliteralmind »

That did it. Thank you!
Windows 8.1, 64-bit