Display image preview of archives

Features wanted...
Testing

Display image preview of archives

Post by Testing »

Hello devs! I'm testing your program (the 30-day trial) for a few days now, and I'm actually very impressed about how "responsive" your program is. I used a similiar software (free) for years, but it was never close to being this fast. You did a terrific job with it! :kidding:

I have only one feature which I'm in dire need of: Displaying the first picture of an archive, basically the functionality of CBX Shell (it can display previews of ZIP/RAR/CBZ/CBR archives in the Windows Explorer). Your program basically covers everything for me, the only thing left is this.

Also, on a side-note (not sure if I should open an extra thread for this): I couldn't find an option to specify which path a new tab should open. When I open a new tab, it display the exact same path of the last focused one - I find it actually irritating. Is there any option to change it to Computer/Workstation (where it displays all my hdd's and drives)?
Last edited by Testing on 13 Sep 2014 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

bdeshi

Re: Display image preview of archives

Post by bdeshi »

Hi, welcome to the Beta Club!
Testing wrote:Hello devs! I'm testing your program (the 30-day trial) for a few days now, and I'm actually very impressed about how "responsive" your program is.
Xyplorer has that effect on new users. :D
And there's only one developer, Donald, who roams the forum as 'admin'...

New tab path: you could try this: navigate to the desired location in a tab, then right-click the tab header and choose "Default Tab".
Or more like what you want: try this: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 890#p35483
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

Slavaon

Post by Slavaon »

Testing wrote: I have only one feature which I'm in dire need of: Displaying the first picture of an archive, basically the functionality of CBX Shell (it can display previews of ZIP/RAR/CBZ/CBR archives in the Windows Explorer). Your program basically covers everything for me, the only thing left is this.
XYplorer works great with CBX Shell, showing the preview in the archives of the CBZ, CBR & EPUB (maybe even rar, zip, I have not tried).
Perhaps you should include something in the settings.
Last edited by Slavaon on 14 Sep 2014 06:33, edited 1 time in total.

Testing

Post by Testing »

SammaySarkar wrote:Or more like what you want: try this: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 890#p35483
That did the trick. Thanks! :kidding:

@Slavaon: Wow, so CBX Shell is already compatible with XYplorer? :shock: Is it normally automatically activated? Because, I'm a somewhat advanced user and looked everywhere in the options, but I couldn't find any way to activate it.

Slavaon

Post by Slavaon »

Testing
Posted by connecting CBX Shell here: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 48#p111748

Testing

Post by Testing »

I followed all the steps accurately, but it still doesn't work. :veryconfused: I got the right files, there's no doubt about it (had to install my old XP in a VM). The paths are right as well (default install location). Too bad.

Edit: I just noticed that CBR/CBZ files do have previews in XYplorer and that it's the result of CBX Shell, with no need for special tweaks. But again, somehow it can't show previews of RAR/ZIP archives...

reyaz

Post by reyaz »

Can confirm, CBX Shell does not seem to work. I'm adding it in user-defined section and it even recognizes the class name, but nothing happens when a .zip file with images is displayed in a folder with thumbnails view.

CrimsonCard

Post by CrimsonCard »

I can't get it to work either unfortunately. It's working for CBZ/CBR and epub, but not for zip and rar.

CrimsonCard

Post by CrimsonCard »

I've tested the registry tweak out with an older version of xyplorer (14.xx) and while it does not actually display the thumbnails for zip/rar, it says they are being generated in the bottom right corner of the window. So maybe that's why people were able to get it working back in 2014 but not now, something in Xyplorer changed since then. Would it be possible to get native thumbnailing for archives? Or making tweaks to allow Xyplorer to let the shell handle the thumbnailing archives if we are using a program like cbxshell.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AFAIK XY never had thumbnails for archives. Does File Explorer have this?

CrimsonCard

Post by CrimsonCard »

admin wrote: 20 Oct 2021 15:33 AFAIK XY never had thumbnails for archives. Does File Explorer have this?
In the post that Slavaon linked above, people were using a program called cbxshell to make file explorer generate thumbnails for archives with pictures, and they claimed back in 2014 it worked in xyplorer with a registry tweak and adding the archive file types as preview handlers in XY.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Indeed, I excluded all archive types from the thumbnail creation routine in 20161026. Saves time.

This still makes sense. I think users with the interest and means to see thumbnails of archives (do you have a screenshot of them?) are a minority. So a tweak to allow certain file types to be thumbed should be enough.

jupe

Post by jupe »

To anyone interested in this, in case you don't look at the changelog, FYI this new feature is implemented in v22.30.0202.

Code: Select all

+ Added tweak to create thumbnails for certain extension that usually don't 
      have thumbnails. List the extensions separated by a dot, for example for 
      archive files:
        ThumbsExtraExtensions=cab.rar.zip
for instructions on how to tweak: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=tweak

CrimsonCard

Post by CrimsonCard »

Awesome! Thanks for the work Don. In case anyone is reading this in the future, I had to make two changes to my settings in addition to the "ThumbsExtraExtensions" entry to get it working for zip/rar. Make sure the extensions you want thumbnailed are listed in "Thumbs64Ext" in your ini file. This might be because cbxshell is 64 bit and Xy is 32. Then go to Settings -> Previewed Formats -> Preview as Thumbnail, and make sure those same file extensions are defined there as well.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Could you post a screenshot of the archive thumbnails? I'm just curious what they look like.