mouse-down blow up enhancment

Features wanted...
bdeshi

Re: mouse-down blow up enhancment

Post by bdeshi »

Err, I wish the BlowUp of the bottom preview pane were moveable likewise too... :)
(that is not moveable if preview->shrink to fit is enabled -- at odds with mdbu behavior in list)
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I see, but not possible at the moment.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

admin wrote:And what's a good reason against allowing to move? Shaky hands, okay.
Not because of shaky hands at all. When I open (blow up) a picture in fullscreen, I move the mouse pointer from above the picture in order to enjoy the whole without the small arrow. I have just realized, that I do this instictively, so that's why I felt your modification awkward.

Display

Post by Display »

Is it possible to trigger MDBU with middle-click somehow? Please?
(Also while I'm asking, why does middle-click drag select and/or move files? Is there anyway to disable that from happening but still retain the middle-click to focus list/panes/addressbar?)
Thank youuu!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Display wrote: 19 May 2019 12:41 Is it possible to trigger MDBU with middle-click somehow? Please?
(Also while I'm asking, why does middle-click drag select and/or move files? Is there anyway to disable that from happening but still retain the middle-click to focus list/panes/addressbar?)
Thank youuu!
Sorry, late reply. Is that still an issue?

Display

Post by Display »

admin wrote: 04 Sep 2019 12:27 Sorry, late reply. Is that still an issue?
No probs!
I do still crave MDBU with middle-click :) Having it on MMB would free up LMB to click/drag the images (without needing to focus the file or click/drag the filename text) and operate like a normal LMB.

The middle-click selecting/moving files is a huge issue for me though. I use graphic tablets and due to the sensitive nature of tablets they tend to jitter a lot. Middle clicking is the best (safest) way to focus panels without having the unwanted consequences of selecting/deselecting/dragging folders around when pressing the stylus down to activate the tips' "click".
I'm getting better at focusing panels by hitting deadzone areas with the middle-click, but often I'll accidentally drag/drop a folder into a folder. Super thankful that there's an excellent Undo Log though :D
But yea.. it's super frustrating when I've spent ages making a super complex selection set in branch view.. only to alt-tab back to XYplorer and accidentally middle-click the wrong pane/area and lose the entire selection :<

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alright, I'll look into both.

BTW, there is also Edit | Select | Restore Selection in case you lose it again. :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

MDBU on middle-click: Should I make this setting general to MDBU (section Configuration | Preview | Mouse Down Blow Up | General), or confine it to thumbnails/icons in the list (section Configuration | Preview | Mouse Down Blow Up | Mouse Down on Thumbnails and Icons)? I'm not sure, opinions please...

PS: My opinion: confine it to thumbnails/icons in the list, only there we have to solve a conflict with other left button functionality.

PS 2: Done.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Because of this new feature being added, and the subsequent disabling of all the middle click list actions, now when a user wants to open a file/folder in a new tab it requires selection first, then a middle click, I use this feature regularly, in search results lists etc, and would be surprised if I was alone in this, so assume others will be affected, also middle click "open folder in new tab" in the tree/catalog seems non-functional now too, so the tool-tip for this setting for instance is now incorrect?:

Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Safety | Mouse | Middle-click opens folder in new tab

Is there anyway that you can keep the legacy behavior and only change it when this new middle click MDBU option is enabled, or should everyone affected just get used to all these changes, even if they don't\won't have the new middle click MDBU enabled?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'd think most of the middle click actions that I dumped will not be missed by most users.

Let's collect those that you think should work and I will see if I can make them work.

Display

Post by Display »

admin wrote: 05 Sep 2019 09:50 BTW, there is also Edit | Select | Restore Selection in case you lose it again. :)
Wow I didn't notice that at all, that's getting hotkeyed immediately!
jupe wrote: 05 Sep 2019 21:39 now when a user wants to open a file/folder in a new tab it requires selection first, then a middle click, I use this feature regularly, in search results lists etc,
Ahhh is this why middle-click is click-selecting everything then? So that it can then execute a sequential "open in new tab" command? I too use this frequently for folders (not files though) and would miss it if it's disabled.
I assumed middle-click was content aware on some level, like it knows if it's clicking on the Breadcrumb bar to open in new tab, and if it's clicking on the Tab bar it should do the preferred "On middle-click" command. Is it possible to retain the middle-click on folder functionality but disable middle-click on whitespace?
Middle-clicking folders feels like a natural extension of web browsers (opening links in new tabs), yet I've never wanted (or needed to) middle-click&select|drag files or whitespace in "List Browse". I mean, left-click does an excellent job of handling this function already :)

Since my Middle-click device is jittery and haphazard, I personally disabled Middle-click on file as it didn't make sense to me while in "List Browse" view. If I wanted a duplicate tab I'd Ctrl+T or Middle-click the Breadcrumb bar. This reduced the number of accidental tab-openings I was experiencing. However, I can absolutely see the advantages of having Middle-click on file to 'open containing folder' in Search results... and I too would use this feature, but only when in "List Find" search results.

These are my thoughts on the interaction:
- Middle-click on folders/Breadcrumb opens-folder in new tab.
- Middle-click/drag on whitespace in List/Tree views ideally does nothing other than focus the pane/address-bar/search-box/control etc.
- It would be a super cool bonus to be able to isolate Middle-click 'open containing folder' for files in "List Find" and not have it affect "List Browse" files.
- Middle-click on thumbnails|icons allow for MBDU.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The next beta should fix was has broken.

But I'm not so much into special rules for "List Find"...

Display

Post by Display »

admin wrote: 06 Sep 2019 08:53 But I'm not so much into special rules for "List Find"...
Yeah, I kind of agree. Having the button behave differently in List views would be an inconsistent design choice (and would probably confuse users for little benefit).
Just been playing around with the beta; its ssooo good! Thank you so much, I'm so grateful for your hard work!

Edit:
Actually, now that the MDBU works so well with the middle-click (and no longer having the MMB select/drag issue) enabling 'Middle-click goes to files in new tab' feels good too! :D
Again, thank you immensely!!

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Don, since you're hard at work on Middle mouse click, how about doing middle click some real justice and power and give it the same CEA click on white space options as you have for right click?

Code: Select all

; Tweak: 0=Favs, 1=Favs Full, 2=Drives, 3=Drives+Special, 4=Tabs, 5=FavFiles, 6=Script
CEA_TreeMiddleClickOnWhite=6
CEA_TreeMiddleClickOnWhite_Script=Load "<xyscripts>\User_White_ Space_Script.xys"
; Tweak: 0=Edit menu, 1=Folder's shell menu, 2=Favorites, 3=reserved, 4=Tabs, 5=FavFiles, 6=Script
CEA_ListMiddleClickOnWhite=6
CEA_ListMiddleClickOnWhite_Script=Load "<xyscripts>User_White_ Space_Script.xys"
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I'll make a note.