Floating Preview & Preview Tab Improvements

Features wanted...
Enternal

Floating Preview & Preview Tab Improvements

Post by Enternal »

Floating preview should be capable to display all the things that the preview tab is able to do such as videos and other types of files that are supported. One benefit of the floating preview is that you can have the property tabs hidden while you have a smaller floating preview floating around so that you can have a lot of space to display your files and at the same time, able to preview them. The problem with the preview tab is that it's horizontally placed. Therefore even if you preview videos where the width and height are finite, you end up taking a lot of space horizontally. For example, previewing videos, they take up only a small space within the preview tab while there are a lot of empty white space on the left and right of the tab. As a result, you will also have limited view of the list and it becomes worse if you need to have the preview bigger. Or alternatively:

The preview tab can be placed vertically along the left or right side depending on choices. They are places on the sides just like how the catalog and tree are placed.

sinilill

Re: Floating Preview & Preview Tab Improvements

Post by sinilill »

Feature(s) that I greatly miss from other file explorers.

+100

binocular222

Post by binocular222 »

Both ImageEye and Media Player Classic Home Cinema have option to turn off titlebar, menubar, statusbar... which make them "float" literally, perfectly, beautifully. You only see a borderless content
I'm a casual coder using AHK language. All of my xys scripts:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 243#p82488

sinilill

Post by sinilill »

In my case it's not about borderless or float thingies.
I need to preview lots of single page Web & Office files as big as possible, but Floating Preview doesn't support Web & Office files.
With widescreen monitors nowadays it makes totally sense to have a long file list on the left and a big preview on the right, currently with Info panel preview it's not possible.
I think both Preview setups that Eternal mentioned are great. Vertical preview tab would be great on a single widescreen monitor, because there's no need to position the preview window, it's already a part on XYplorer and Floating Preview (with extended file type support) would be great with a multi monitor setup.

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

sinilill wrote:In my case it's not about borderless or float thingies.
I need to preview lots of single page Web & Office files as big as possible, but Floating Preview doesn't support Web & Office files.
With widescreen monitors nowadays it makes totally sense to have a long file list on the left and a big preview on the right, currently with Info panel preview it's not possible.
I think both Preview setups that Eternal mentioned are great. Vertical preview tab would be great on a single widescreen monitor, because there's no need to position the preview window, it's already a part on XYplorer and Floating Preview (with extended file type support) would be great with a multi monitor setup.
This is exactly it. I already know about MPC and used it daily for years. But it's not about that. While the horizontal tabs are great for most of the things that XYplorer has (find files, properties, and more), it's not great for a preview tab in many cases especially when it comes to portrait documents, videos, and more. It just ends up wasting a lot of space to the left and to the right.
Empty.png
Empty.png (90.62 KiB) Viewed 4250 times
All that empty space! Now what if you need a bigger preview? You pull up the tab to make it bigger and bam, you have even more wasted space.

sinilill

Post by sinilill »

I hope it will be the next big thing after Portable Devices support.

Pretty please :biggrin:

Wouldn't it be great?

Example http://i.imgur.com/5MIfDRm.png

calude

Post by calude »

one window to preview everything that can be previewed

+100

Cal

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

thumbs_up.png
thumbs_up.png (530 Bytes) Viewed 4214 times
[/size]Here's my vote.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

You make YX look like all the rest :mrgreen: - but hey, I am all for it
++200
If this gets implemented, dual pane handling is my top concern: No matter whether the other pane is replaced fully by the preview or only partly, commands like "Copy to other pane" should still work. Even though I might not see the other pane because of the preview - I still know it's there - ready to receive the file I am previewing.

BTW, this kind of preview would also pave the way for more zip-comfort. But that's another story for another wish.

lian00

Post by lian00 »

+1. Previewing images is much more easier in vertical mode - and no need of floating preview in this case.
Windows 10 64 bits

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

I would rather settle for the floating preview supporting all previewable formats, instead of a radical change in how the pane system works.
The floating preview could be made to position itself over the inactive pane, matching it's size.
[ this user is asleep ]

sinilill

Post by sinilill »

The vertical preview doesn't have to be in a tab, I would like to see it as a panel, like catalog and tree, a part of the layout. When disabling catalog and tree, then there's room for dual panes and a preview panel and etc, endless possibilities.
It's just a third way to preview files :D Floating Preview would be still very useful, especially with a second monitor.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

SammaySarkar wrote:The floating preview could be made to position itself over the inactive pane, matching it's size.
:idea: - that would keep all dual pane functions intact

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

+ :ball: for vertical preview!
It's been one of my top hopes for quite some time... :)

The way I see it (for phase 1, to keep it simple):
:arrow: Just add a third state to Floating Preview: Docked — to its existing two states (Fullscreen and Floating).
Floating Preview could thus be docked inside XY on its left or right, top or bottom.

Then for the next phases, that would still leave the possibility to add the same versatility as the InfoPanel Preview, enable locking of the currently previewed file, etc.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

especially
FluxTorpedoe wrote:enable locking of the currently previewed file, etc.
[ this user is asleep ]