Paper Folders

Features wanted...
admin
Site Admin

Paper Folders

Post by admin »

Just before you start asking (and to create a fresh topic for this mind-blowing feature): Yes, it is planned to add a special tree folder called "Paper" which has all existing Paper Folders as childs. It is planned for Paper Folders 2.0. :)

Enternal

Re: Paper Folders

Post by Enternal »

Darn it Don. You left me hanging for a long time with something "the virtual folders are 99% done" or something like that so I kept working on my SelectionStore script with similar ideas as possible to what you might implement (saving all selections simply as a file/folder per line in a text file) only for it to be obsolete because Stef123 decides to poke you about it again. I don't motivate you enough with all my pokes I did before? :evil: DON'S EVIL!!

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

And now you plan on making something like a Paper tree for Paper Folders? Are you kidding?! Here's some more advancement e-beers for you.

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

:lol: :biggrin: :lol:
Enternal - your script had bridged the gap for quite some time, though. I am sure many users benefited from it. I liked the way it cleaned up after itself (leaving no tag residues).

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Not working (yet) in my workflow: Copy/Move to other Pane. Could they be made smart enough to default to "Add to Paper Folder"?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Really? Works fine here. :?

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Nope. I tried to trigger it directly (via #804 instead of my F5 shortcut) - but no luck. :cry:

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Stef123 wrote::lol: :biggrin: :lol:
Enternal - your script had bridged the gap for quite some time, though. I am sure many users benefited from it. I liked the way it cleaned up after itself (leaving no tag residues).
Thanks! Glad to hear that it was still very useful.

Anyway, that's odd. It works fine for me as well. I selected a file and directly invoked #804 from the address bar and it's working as expected. I also tried it using the default keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+F6 and Shift+F6 and it's still working too.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Hmm - so it must be something in my config - but what?
I tried ::fresh; - I tried as admin, after a reboot ...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I now found a way to reproduce the bug! Fix comes...

zer0

Post by zer0 »

As mentioned in the other thread...

1. When you create a new PF, navigation goes away immediately from your current location to what's in that PF. Don't like it. Open it in a new tab if you have to open it right away.
2. How can I add a tab I am in to an existing PF? This is not immediately clear. I can convert an existing folder into its own PF, but I don't want to do that.
3. I would like to see an ability to have nested PFs. Otherwise, if/when number 2 becomes possible, my PF list will be as long as the Great Wall of China.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Hi Don,

for the lack of time this is all I can write right now: congrats to the release of another major feature. :appl: :appl: :D :appl: :appl:

Of course, I will post my questions asap upon start of my evaluations. :ninja:

Cheers,
Filehero

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:1. When you create a new PF, navigation goes away immediately from your current location to what's in that PF. Don't like it. Open it in a new tab if you have to open it right away.
2. How can I add a tab I am in to an existing PF? This is not immediately clear. I can convert an existing folder into its own PF, but I don't want to do that.
3. I would like to see an ability to have nested PFs. Otherwise, if/when number 2 becomes possible, my PF list will be as long as the Great Wall of China.
1. Why is it a problem? IMO that's what you (okay, everybody else) want.
2. You mean add the current location to an existing PF? You have to have the PF visible as target somewhere: either as second pane, as catalog item, or as tab. Then you can drag the current location from the Tree to it.
3. <xydata> supports subfolders.

Code: Select all

paper:Sub\YourPF

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:1. Why is it a problem? IMO that's what you (okay, everybody else) want.
2. You mean add the current location to an existing PF? You have to have the PF visible as target somewhere: either as second pane, as catalog item, or as tab. Then you can drag the current location from the Tree to it.

1. Why would I want my current folder location -- where I may be doing something -- to be taken over by a blank PF list? It's like when browsing the web: when in doubt, open the link in a new tab.
2. Why do I have to drag and drop items to it? Why is it not possible to right click on a tab I am currently in and have context menu choices to either create a new PF from the current tab's list or add the list to an existing PF?
3. Same as 2 in terms of ease of use: I would like to be able to select a list of items in an existing PF, right click on them and either be able to copy/move them to a new separate PF, add them to an existing PF or create a new nested PF within the existing one. Is this something I can currently accomplish without manually editing those text files?
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:
admin wrote:1. Why is it a problem? IMO that's what you (okay, everybody else) want.

1. Why would I want my current folder location -- where I may be doing something -- to be taken over by a blank PF list? It's like when browsing the web: when in doubt, open the link in a new tab.
2. Why do I have to drag and drop items to it? Why is it not possible to right click on a tab I am currently in and have context menu choices to either create a new PF from the current tab's list or add the list to an existing PF?
3. Same as 2 in terms of ease of use: I would like to be able to select a list of items in an existing PF, right click on them and either be able to copy/move them to a new separate PF, add them to an existing PF or create a new nested PF within the existing one. Is this something I can currently accomplish without manually editing those text files?
1. Open a new tab first.
2. Because that would need extra commands.
3. Use Copy To.

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 27 Jan 2016 20:23, edited 1 time in total.