Directory synchronization

Features wanted...

Directory synchronization

Post by -529 »

The only function I think Tracker is missing is directory synchronization, like the one in "freecommander" or "totalcommander".
I always use Tracker but from time to time I jump to "Freecommander" :? for synchronize directories...

-529-

admin
Site Admin

Re: Directory synchronization

Post by admin »

"freecommander" and "totalcommander" are dual pane, right?

I wonder how to implement the user interface for this function in a single pane manager. Any ideas?

peterbonge

Post by peterbonge »

Maybe via dragging with the right mouse butten (like copying or moving). But just when dragging folders and not files.
Regards,
Peter Bonge

My System: Windows 11 Pro, 64-bit, German

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

If you are thinking of adding a dual-pane facility have a look at some dual pane file managers with a tree option first.

The single tree and two pane layout seems to work best, the type where you can have two panes each with it's own tree just gets too cluttered - four panes even on a 1280X1024 screen is just rather messy.

The layout concept that ZTree uses I find the best where either pane can be a tree or a folder list (it can also be a tree and folder list in each pane). If you don't know ZTree it is based on the original XTree so has a DOS appearance and as far as I know nobody has adopted the layout concept used in ZTree to a Windows GUI - perhaps it's a copyright situation.

I also use a dual-pane for moving / copying files. It's purely a psychological situation, seeing the files appear in the destination folder gives me confidence that they are there.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:I also use a dual-pane for moving / copying files. It's purely a psychological situation, seeing the files appear in the destination folder gives me confidence that they are there.
I'm not thinking of adding a dual-pane facility, but what about adding a shortcut Ctrl+F7 "Jump to previous target location" for a quick paranoia-relieving check?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

peterbonge wrote:Maybe via dragging with the right mouse butten (like copying or moving). But just when dragging folders and not files.
Yes, more exactly when dragging one folder.

Now, Directory synchronization, as I understand it, is:
(a) copy non-existing files (cross-wise)
(b) overwrite older files (cross-wise)

OK?

Re: Directory synchronization

Post by -529 »

admin wrote:"freecommander" and "totalcommander" are dual pane, right?

I wonder how to implement the user interface for this function in a single pane manager. Any ideas?
Well, looking to Totalcommander's TABS...I wonder, maybe a TAB synchronization thing?... :?:

peterbonge

Post by peterbonge »

admin wrote:Now, Directory synchronization, as I understand it, is:
(a) copy non-existing files (cross-wise)
(b) overwrite older files (cross-wise)

OK?
I think so.

Maybe this would also be useful: An option that copies newer and not existing files to the target and deletes files and folders in the target if they are not existing in the source. This could be called "Make exact copy"...
Regards,
Peter Bonge

My System: Windows 11 Pro, 64-bit, German

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

peterbonge wrote:Maybe this would also be useful: An option that copies newer and not existing files to the target and deletes files and folders in the target if they are not existing in the source. This could be called "Make exact copy"...
Would be same as: first delete everything in the target, then copy everything from source, right?

Here's another maybe useful idea, "Move to new subfolder":
- select any number of files
- right-drag them somewhere
- click "Move to new subfolder" in context menu
- dialog opens to enter new folder name, click OK
- this folder is created under the dragged-to folder
- then the selected files are moved into it

Nice, or?
Last edited by admin on 17 Sep 2004 19:27, edited 2 times in total.

admin
Site Admin

Directory synchronization - 2nd thoughts

Post by admin »

I think the task of directory synchronization, when you want to do it right, is a touch too involved for a general purpose program like TrackerV3. See here for a number of interesting options/parameters. Some things have to left to the special progs.
It's the same with mass renaming. TrackerV3 just does some basic operations but for sophisticated stuff you should use a specialized app. Don't wanna do bloatware (aka creeping featuritis).

Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

Gandolf wrote:The single tree and two pane layout seems to work best, the type where you can have two panes each with it's own tree just gets too cluttered - four panes even on a 1280X1024 screen is just rather messy.
..... either pane can be a tree or a folder list (it can also be a tree and folder list in each pane)."
Why not? PowerDesk has such possibilities. As maximum - two horizontal panes with its own tree in each.

Three pane is not so bad idea as well: one tree and two horizontal file panes.

Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

another maybe useful idea, "Move to new subfolder"
Surely useful idea! Why not ot automate the common task everyone who works much with files have to fulfill many times per day!