Search one day easily

Features wanted...
danman

Search one day easily

Post by danman »

I'd like a file search option for "all files created today" where I just click one button, without having to type something in BEFORE this date and/or AFTER this date. It would be handy, too, for the search to default to the highlighted directory, with an option to add other directories..or drives. Also, add an option to just type in the date I'm looking for.....w/o the BEFORE and AFTER stuff would be handy for searches that do not involve "today." Maybe all that is possible, I dunno. I use version 12.8. I find the file search feature in xy fairly confusing, so I use xy for most of my file handling stuff and FreeCommander for searches.

serendipity

Re: Search one day easily

Post by serendipity »

For your date related queries, go to Find Files (menu Window | Show Info panel | Find Files) and click on Date tab and the orange menu button will give you some options you are looking for. Make sure to choose Created on the left (default is Modified).

To include highlighted directory in your search, in Find Files' Name & Location tab check Selected locations.
Also, right-click the ... button next to Location: field to get some interesting options including Append current path.
So you can go around browsing and keep appending paths to the location field.
Note: Uncheck Auto sync before you start appending multiple locations, else location will get reset on each browse.
Hope this helps.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

1) Have you looked at the "Auto Sync" and "Selected locations" checkboxes on Name&Loc tab?

2) Have you tried the orange arrow next to 'between'? Gives you a nbr of choices that may suit your need.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:2) Have you tried the orange arrow next to 'between'? Gives you a nbr of choices that may suit your need.
For example the first choice: "Today". :biggrin:

BTW, I use color filters to mark all files created today. So I don't need to run a search -- I just see them all the time.