Search Refreshing

Features wanted...
clarkedesign

Search Refreshing

Post by clarkedesign »

Hi,

I was just searching for some specific photoshop files on my computer.
I was searching through over 1 million files - so this took a few minutes to perform the search.

I then found the first file I wanted, opened it in Photoshop made some changes and then went back to XYplorer to edit the second file.

The search window was empty, and the search restarted itself - Another three minute wait.

Is there any way to stop the search facility doing this (even if it's just temporary) ?
I've got 55 files to edit and don't want this search to keep restarting 55 times.
Thanks,
Sean Clarke

Marco

Re: Search Refreshing

Post by Marco »

My idea would be:
perform that search, then tag/label those files with some specifical marker (a red label, or a "to do" tag, as long as it is unique and no other files have it).
Now you should perform another search, looking for that specific label/tag only - being a database search it will take only a fraction of a second. That's it, now you have a tab with all and only the files you want to edit.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

binocular222

Post by binocular222 »

a search for "photo" label would be: (paste this in address bar):

Code: Select all

*?:lbl:photo
I'm a casual coder using AHK language. All of my xys scripts:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 243#p82488

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Do you have Cache search results enabled?
It is in Configuration under Find Files & Branch View > Find Files.

tedy

Post by tedy »

@clarkedesign, no matter the caching, Xyplorer is not good at that specific scenario, just get used to that. Or use another search tool, I use Agent Ransack, wonderful tool that works exactly as exptected.
In another thread here just a day go I pointed Don to the exact same problem, and he said this was low priority (or something like that), so do not expect a fix anytime soon.
I still think searching for files and the solid behavior even when searching over high volumes of files and search results, should be above normal priority for a file manager. But that's good, as long as there are standalone free alternatives for such functionality.

Marco

Post by Marco »

tedy wrote:@clarkedesign, no matter the caching, Xyplorer is not good at that specific scenario, just get used to that. Or use another search tool, I use Agent Ransack, wonderful tool that works exactly as exptected.
In another thread here just a day go I pointed Don to the exact same problem, and he said this was low priority (or something like that), so do not expect a fix anytime soon.
I still think searching for files and the solid behavior even when searching over high volumes of files and search results, should be above normal priority for a file manager. But that's good, as long as there are standalone free alternatives for such functionality.
Little background: XY was born as a search engine (cfr. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XYplorer ). And the current philosophy is not to rely on indexes/databases, therefore providing always up-to-date results. Hence the lag in scanning 1M files, whenever a search is performed. An SSD, an i7 and the SO internal caching can reduce the required time, but not so much. XY is quite solid in this scenario, never crashed because too many files were searched for or because of complex search queries. It doesn't support IFilters and the related grepping, but it's pretty damn solid in its abilities.
One (or the?) solution is doing what I suggested in post #2. Somewhere else Don said something about (the planned) Virtual Folders. Just FYI, I believe that tags and VF will share a lot of code in common and will be very similar performance-wise.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer

tedy

Post by tedy »

I meant no offense. Several times I had praised XY for being the best file manager.
However, in this specific scenario we must admit it is not behaving well. As for now at least 3 people admitted it, now we have also a dedicated thread. And it requiers even far less than 1 million files to search, for me it depends on the number of found items as well. For few thousand of results I wait for about 9 seconds every single time I switch to the SR tab ;) . This you call "solid" performance?! Let's name the weaknesses when we face them.
I don't care how XY had started its existence. I see it as the best FM, but the search has this flaw, now and today. ;)
Again - this is a small inconvenience among all the well-thought unique features of XY.

Marco

Post by Marco »

I agree with you, XY could behave better by "freezing" the search results.

However I can't complain regarding performance. I searched my HDDs for files with uppercase extension (so I loaded a regex), scanned 150k+ files and found 340 matches.
First run: 84 seconds (including spin up of the external, USB2 portable drive)
Second run: 2 seconds. Caching always disabled.
I also grepped through 3200+ files, both binary and non-binary ones, and took 76 seconds to find 550 matches. Excluding the 900 binary files made the elapsed time drop to just 4 seconds.
And I'm using just a laptop with a i5 processor. In this case timings can be improved with better hardware only, especially grepping.

I don't think XY performances are poor. But, again, I agree with you that static SR tabs would be helpful for those not concerned with constant freshness of search results.

tedy

Post by tedy »

Marco, I think you still misunderstanding me.
I meant the performance when switching to SR tabs, that's all. It's not acceptable to wait 9 seconds every time when I switch to a SR tab with few THOUSANDs of items. For few hundreds it is better but still.
Searching itself is fast and plausible. It's just done everytime you switch to a SR tab. Subsequent searches involve at least OS caching and are almost always much faster than the first time, of course. In my case, the first search took about 2 minutes, then switching to this tab = 9 seconds every time.
That's why I use Agent Ransack for searching, exclusively, for this sole reason.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

Reading that first post seems like the OP opened the file in photoshop, so don't understand how search tab could refresh when there was no other tab OP switched to. Opening a searched file in photoshop should not return empty search tab and restart search.
If you need to go to another location, I would say, just use the other pane instead of switching tabs in same pane.
As long as the search tab is in view, search will not restart.

smahesh555

Post by smahesh555 »

I too face the same problem, after a search sometimes have to go to location of the file in a separate tab and come back to the search results.

Would be great if this could be changed and provide a refresh button if user wants to refresh the result.

Till then, thanks for this thread for information on 'Agent Ransack'.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:veryconfused: I don't get this thread. TheQwerty has given the answer already:
Do you have Cache search results enabled?
It is in Configuration under Find Files & Branch View > Find Files.
So, enable caching and you got what you want.

smahesh555

Post by smahesh555 »

I apologize.

When I saw the configuration pointed out by TheQwerty, I just saw value 1000 there and overlooked the check box.

Works like a charm now.