Mirror browsing between panes

Features wanted...
tomtom

Mirror browsing between panes

Post by tomtom »

Hi,

I've previously used xplorer2, which had a very useful "Mirror Browsing" option which meant the two panes followed each other as you worked up and down the folder hierarchy. So, If both folders contain an "images" folder, opening in one pane would automatically open it automatically in the other. Navigating up the tree would have a similar effect.

I've used it quite a lot when comparing a local version of a website with one that's hosted on another server. Would work really well with existing sync scrolling feature! It's currently the only thing I'm missing from xplorer2...

Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Mirror browsing between panes

Post by admin »

Hi and welcome!

You mean the two folder hierarchies are on different drives? If yes, is it only the drive letter that is different, or can the difference be more complex?

Don

calude

Post by calude »

+1

Stefan

Re: Mirror browsing between panes SyncBrowse

Post by Stefan »

+1

I am interested on a "SyncBrowse" feature based on same folder name on each pane

(even with different parent paths), like

F:\Images\2012\own\
___\01_Jan
___\02_Feb
___\03_Mar

U:\Backup\Stefan\Bilder\1999
___\03_mar
___\02_feb
___\01_jan

If I go into a folder named "03_Mar" on left pane, XY should open a folder named "03_mar" on right pane too. (not case-sentisive)

I often do that by hand every other week with install sources stored on server in comparison to a new gotten install DVD.

- - -

Of course, if it could be implemented by browsing same folder number, counted from top, too, I won't complain:

F:\Images\2012\own\
___\01_Jan
___\02_Feb
___\03_Mar

U:\Backup\Stefan\Bilder\1999
___\01January
___\02February
___\03March

If I browse into second from top folder on the left, XY opens the second from top folder on the right.

- - -

To let this work, I would first open both (different) paths on each pane, then enable that feature to look top-main-folder and start sync browsing.

just my ideas...

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

I'd be interested in something like this too.

tomtom

Post by tomtom »

Hi Don,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes, typically the folders will be on two different drives and yes the difference can be more complex. A good example is the following:

I have a copy of a site on my local drive, say: C:\Development\Sites\SomeWebsite
Another copy may exist on remote server, say \\QaWebSever01\Sites\SomeWebsite\current

I open local on the left pane and remote on the right. In xplorer2, I'd hit Ctrl + M and as I navigate up and down folders it changes would be visible in both panes. I assume it's just checking by folder name, nothing more complex than that?

Any more questions or clarifications needed, please say!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, thanks, that should be enough, I'll do some experiments...

Note that it has been wished already earlier as "Sync Browse": http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8725
And "Sync Browse" will be the name for it in XY. If I do it... :mrgreen:

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

+1
I want XY to serve soft ice cream. Please Don, make XY serve soft ice cream.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

I am a bit surprised at the many +1. I simply use FreeFileSync. No way to miss the tiniest difference by using this kind of tool.
EDIT: Additionally I checked the website of the mentioned file manager. It states about this mirror browsing feature: "Remember that this is a manual method, and therefore not very reliable. A reliable method of comparing near-identical items is to flatten both directories in the opposite panes of a scrap container and then compare them with synchronization commands (F9 or CTRL+F9)."

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The whole Dual Pane paradigm is manual/visual, and therefore lacks the exactness typical for computers. But that's exactly its appeal I assume. It's so neolithic. :)

calude

Post by calude »

if you want to grow your customer further than the IT specialized crowd, you better somehow understand some "analog" and "neolithic age" ways of handling!

Calude

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, my design goal should be file managing stone axe. AXYplorer... or FileAxe... hmm... even the com domain is still free... :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I gave it a try, check it out. 8)

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

It really works well, thank you.

On more testing...

1)
Only,... if I go upwards out of the "starting" folder, the "other panel" changes to the path of the active panel,... confusing.
But only if on same drive.
Can/should the "starting" folder be locked while Sync Browse is enabled to prevent going up to far?

2)
If I on different drives, Sync Browse only works on one pane, not on the other.

Will test more for better explanations...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Fixed 2), then could not repro 1). Probably both were related.