Move to recently used tab

Features wanted...
surrender

Move to recently used tab

Post by surrender »

I have say 4 tabs open "a","b","c" and "d" (in that order). Now i click tab "b" and then go to tab "d" and close it. I am automatically taken to tab "c".
I know that moving to left the is an expected behavior. But would be nice if it takes me to the previous tab "b" i was working with. kind of intuitive to me.

Similarly, it would be nice to have an option to cycle tabs in recently used order.

zridling

Post by zridling »

I agree with that. Right now, XYplorer uses the same tab behavior as many browsers do. I know Opera does this, so it's familiar to me. But jumping to the last (far right, that is) tab after closing "D" is not where I want to go every time. Most of the time, it feels natural to go back where I came from.
- Zaine Ridling, The Great Software blog

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

*BUMP*

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

serendipity wrote:*BUMP*
After 1 year, not bad. :) Later... :P :wink:

Pagat

Post by Pagat »

Since i slowly get used to using tabs in a file manager ( :) ) i also miss the option to cycle tabs in recently used order. It would be just perfect for e.g. compare two folders just by clicking CTRL+TAB instead of switching between CTRL+TAB and CTRL+SHIFT+TAB.

Ideally it could be made configurable under "Configuration | Tabs" as seen in Opera:

So long...
Pagat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Pagat wrote:Since i slowly get used to using tabs in a file manager ( :) ) i also miss the option to cycle tabs in recently used order. It would be just perfect for e.g. compare two folders just by clicking CTRL+TAB instead of switching between CTRL+TAB and CTRL+SHIFT+TAB.
I don't get it. If you have more than 2 tabs, how would CTRL+TAB be useful to compare just two folders?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I wasn't sure either, but just tried one situation that maybe makes a difference: Have 3 tabs, with leftmost being "Search Results"; using CNTL+TAB as is now, I end up on the SR tab, where I don't want to be, so to swap just between the other two, I have to alternate with CNTL+SHIFT+TAB, which is a tad less convenient than just using same keystrokes repeatedly.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

I think pagat means just how one would use alt+tab (hold 'alt' and press&release 'tab') to switch between tasks one could use ctrl+tab to switch between recently used tabs.
I think one can have either cycle tabs in recently used order or cycle tabs left to right (for ctrl+tab). Personally I like recently used tab style because especially after closing a tab, XY takes me to a totally unrelated tab which I was never working with in the first place.

Pagat

Post by Pagat »

admin wrote:I don't get it. If you have more than 2 tabs, how would CTRL+TAB be useful to compare just two folders?
Let's say you have four tabs with folders [A], B, C, D (where [A] is the active one). You want to compare folder A with B.

Situation as it is now (Cycle in tab bar order):

[A] - B - C - D

CTRL-TAB

A - - C - D

CTRL - TAB

A - B - [C] - D

CTR-TAB

A - B - C - [D]

Cycle in recently used order

[A] - B - C - D

CTRL-TAB

A - - C - D

CTRL - TAB

[A] - B - C - D

CTRL-TAB

A - - C - D

This way you switch back and forth and you can immediately see any difference in the list of files.

(Sometimes i also use this technique comparing two small text files by opening them in Notepad (same window position and window size) and switching between these two windows via ALT-TAB)...

EDIT: I think it would be a little more complicated to implement this, because you would have to mimic "real" ALT-TAB style: While holding CTRL you need to be able to browse through the tabs by repeatedly pressing TAB without activating them to be able to reach folders C and D. (Similiar to CTRL-PGDOWN)
Last edited by Pagat on 08 Nov 2007 21:12, edited 2 times in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Pagat wrote:Cycle in recently used order

[A] - B - C - D

CTRL-TAB

A - - C - D

CTRL - TAB

[A] - B - C - D

So C and D were never used??? That's hardly possible (unless maybe if they were created as background tabs and never opened).

BTW, I have a hot tip for you: F7 (= got to previous location)! :D

Pagat

Post by Pagat »

I edited my above post but you were faster...:

EDIT: I think it would be a little more complicated to implement this, because you would have to mimic "real" ALT-TAB style: While holding CTRL you need to be able to browse through the tabs by repeatedly pressing TAB without activating them to be able to reach folders C and D. (Similiar to CTRL-PGDOWN)

Yep, F7 would be a possibility... Let's see if i can work with that :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Pagat wrote:I edited my above post but you were faster...:

Yep, F7 would be a possibility... Let's see if i can work with that :)
Ah, I got it. I did not realize that you expect that the MRU sequence is updated immediately... but I don't think others would want it that way, because Ctrl+Tab then would always only switch between the last two of the MRU sequence...

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

admin wrote: but I don't think others would want it that way, because Ctrl+Tab then would always only switch between the last two of the MRU sequence...
I want it that way. Well, as long as you provide two options:
(1) Cycle tabs in recently used order.
(2) Cycle tabs in tab bar order.

In (1) Ctrl+tab will work like how alt+tab works for switching tasks in windows and in (2) Ctrl+tab will work like it does now.

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

Ignoring the CTRL+TAB idea (I like it how it is now) I fully support the moving to the last used tab when you close one.
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I suspect that serendipity's idea of two options would satisfy most everyone's ideas of how it best works for them.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.