Way to make script symlinks from inside xyplorer

Features wanted...
Evolve

Re: Way to make script symlinks from inside xyplorer

Post by Evolve »

Junctions can be created w/o admin rights unlike symlinks.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Evolve wrote: 02 Jul 2022 14:12 w/o admin rights unlike symlinks.
This can be changed too with the Group Policy Editor (of course, you need admin rights for that. Win 10 Pro, too?):

Computer configuration → Windows Settings → Security Settings → Local Policies → User Rights Assignment → Create symbolic links

Just add the group or user there. After that, you can "Paste As Symbolic Link(s)" in XYplorer w/o admin rights. Disclaimer: I haven't checked that with xy scripts.

Evolve

Post by Evolve »

Interesting... I mostly use junctions for two purposes: path abstraction and folder sharing.
And symlinks don't seem to work for the second one unlike junctions.

I can create a junction for an unshared folder in a shared one and go through it into that unshared folder from another PC, it just works.

I tried the same trick with a symlink, first it gave me this error:
The symbolic link cannot be followed because its type is disabled.
I fixed it with this incantation:

Code: Select all

fsutil behavior set SymlinkEvaluation L2L:1 R2R:1 L2R:1 R2L:1
But it still wont work, it gives me a different error:
The system cannot find the path specified

Any advice?

3QQPcr

Post by 3QQPcr »

highend wrote: 02 Jul 2022 10:24 XY can create junctions (if that's what you're referring to) via the script command new()

XY needs to be started with admin permissions for that
Thanks for the suggestion but an actual symbolic link must be used for my purpose.
A junction link is not ideal this situation and neither is the kind of "symlink" mazot's script creates (I think it's more of a regular shortcut).

If possible, the symlinks created by LSE (https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshe ... nsion.html) are what I would like XYplorer to create.
There is a difference between the LSE symlink, mazot's folder shortcut script, and junction links.
The LSE symlink is recognized as a regular directory by other applications while the other aren't.
Additionally, once a junction link's path becomes absolute when saved opposed to symlinks that still function when moved.
These may seem like inconsequential differences, but when handling hundreds or even tens of symlinks, it makes a difference.

Please see the attached screenshot demonstrating the difference in links: https://i.imgur.com/idFNqZ1.png (admin mode is always used).

Is there a way to script the ability to create LSE-style symlinks from within XYplorer?
This would be incredibly useful as it's currentlyu a very tedious process to open a separate File Explorer instance, then go through the right-click context menu in order to generate symlinks.
If a mazot-style script could generate LSE-style symlinks (or junction links as a last resort), it would increase productivity a lot.

Thank you in advance.

3QQPcr

Post by 3QQPcr »

3QQPcr wrote: 03 Jul 2022 02:09 If possible, the symlinks created by LSE (https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshe ... nsion.html) are what I would like XYplorer to create.
Is there a way to script the ability to create LSE-style symlinks from within XYplorer?
@highend, any chance you know how to accomplish this?

I would settle for true junction links too, although symlinks would be preferred (if both are possible then I wouldn't mind scripts for each).