Features XYplorer MUST HAVE!

Features wanted...
xorro

Features XYplorer MUST HAVE!

Post by xorro »

Well XYPlorer is also a very old and well maintained but there are a lots of features it is still missing even i have long life license i am still not able to move to XYplorer due to lack of those features.
- Option to activate dual tree for dual pane mode
- No FTP support
- No support for Windows libraries
- No Custom plugin support
- No ability to change theme
- No Cloud Storage Integration (Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Pcloud etc...)

When it comes to fully customizable File Manager i think above mentioned features are also part of customization and adding those functions will improve XYplorer as i am also too much attracted to use this as daily driver.

Please please please it is my humble request to add these if not all then please first two are must.

WirlyWirly

Re: Features XYplorer MUST HAVE!

Post by WirlyWirly »

If you're looking to integrate (s)FTP/Cloud storage into xy, you can try the program ExpanDrive.

It will basically create a virtual drive on your computer that is actually an (s)ftp/cloud connection. xy (and just about any other program on your computer) can read it just like a normal drive and access the files inside. I use it on occasion, works great.

Also, there is TONS of plugin support, it's just in the form of scripts, have you even tried these? You can write your own or just download one that other users have written. As for theming, I'd say you have a dark and light mode with plenty of custom coloring options. It's pretty good already in my opinion. Can't say about windows libraries, I've never used them so I don't know what they do or if I'm missing out.

xorro

Post by xorro »

Well it is not about any 3rd party software like ExpanDrive as you will have to buy it separately it is about having all major features in one software. I know about ExpanDrive, Mountain Duck, Cloudmounter and several other options but my point was to get at least a plugin option or some other way to use it via XYplorer instead of buying other tools. If you have to buy each and evey 3rd party software to get job done instead of expecting it to get it done by one software then i Why there is even a Wishes Section in this forum?

Scripts are not plugins they are just scripts to do minor jobs. Plugins have much more reliability and features then scripts. There is no way you can compare scripts with plugins.

I am just suggesting features XYplorer must have to improve it's user base to get on top. Even there are many others i can mention to integrate with XYplorer but it kept with few major. Here are few other idea's i think will make XYplorer a part from other and will intimate people into buying XYplorer then other File Managers as not everyone is looking for colors customization only.

Security Features:-
PGP Integration (File Encryption)
Cryptomator Integration (Must be able to open encrypted drive with just one click and ask for password then mount instead of creating a button manually in XYplorer for cryptomator and then enter password in cryptomator then come back to XYplorer to access mounted drive to access files)

These are just idea's i am sharing and not forcing or expecting developers to get these done.

Why do we move to a 3rd party file manager instead of Windows default file manager?
Answer is simple. Customization and more features for productivity. If you will have these major features in one software i am sure people will not go for any other option.

I know adding a new features comes with tons of other work load like providing continuous updates for each and every feature. Also i have to accept that many other XYplorer competitors have way much more high prices but those prices comes with many other features which XYplorer must have. for example xyplorer already have Dual Pane mode + Tree. How hard it is to add another tree to a dual pane mode? this feature requires less work then other features as XYplorer already have one.

Scripts are not user friendly and not every user is very found of learning about how to add, and execute scripts instead plugins are just load and use.

I hope you are getting my point.
Last edited by xorro on 09 Dec 2021 06:19, edited 2 times in total.

Delphine

Post by Delphine »

xorro wrote: 09 Dec 2021 06:09 I hope you are getting my point.
+1 :tup:

Horst

Post by Horst »

2xorro
I don't full yagree with some of your points.
I'm a hardcore Total Commander user and also selected to buy a XY life-time license some month ago.
One of the main reasons for this additional file manager was the XY scripting functionality.
For a normal user there is no big difference using plugins like in TC or scripts to get additional functions.
Scripts are as simple to install and use like plugins in TC.
I guess the more technical oriented users, which don't like Windows Explorer, can have fun to customize scripts
or even write new ones.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

highend

Post by highend »

Apart from that all these things have been requested in the past...

I (as a pro user) don't need a single feature out of these

E.g. "plugins"
Who should write them? You?
Who should MAINTAIN them? You?

The essence is: If XY doesn't do what you need it to do, look for a different file manager that does all these things?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

highend wrote: 09 Dec 2021 14:11 The essence is: If XY doesn't do what you need it to do, look for a different file manager that does all these things?
+1 :tup:

Delphine

Post by Delphine »

highend wrote: 09 Dec 2021 14:11The essence is: If XY doesn't do what you need it to do, look for a different file manager that does all these things?
Theorized by Sigmund Freud, founder of psychoanalysis, denial is presented as an unconscious mechanism of defense and conservation aimed at not considering a part of reality. Denial is therefore a form of avoidance, a refusal to see reality as it is.