Folder Preview Tabs like in Visual Studio and VSCode

Features wanted...
nideii

Folder Preview Tabs like in Visual Studio and VSCode

Post by nideii »

Currently XYplorer will switch to the folder if click the left-hand side tree view. Since I cannot remember which directory I store my files, I might just want to browse all the possible folders without committing it to my current tab.

I would prefer the preview feature just like the file preview in Visual Studio and VSCode. I do understand that there are some difference between file content and entries under a folder. However, I think the only difference is that you can "preview a folder" in a folder tab.

Thus, I suggest a system as below:

1. If user click on the tree view on the left-hand side, then instead of switch the active tab to that folder, add a new preview tab to display the folder under the same pane as the active tab.
2. For 1, if there is already a preview tab existed in the the same pane as the active tab, then switch the preview tab to the new folder user just clicked.
3. Preview tab should only be one per pane and the "tab button" should show at the right most, and might add a "*" or change color to indicated it is a preview tab. e.g. if we are previewing "Folder C".
|| This Computer | Folder A | Folder B | ................................................... | *Folder C ||
4. If user done some operation to the preview tab, then make it normal tab. For example, still, previewing "Folder C", if user open a file or open a sub folder of "Folder C", then the tab to change into a normal folder.
5. The preview tab should stay open unless the user close it. If user close a normal tab in the pane, I suggest that the preview tab should turn into a normal tab.
6. If user enable "Dual Pane" mode, then click on a sub folder in one pane, a new preview tab should open in the other pane and follow the same rule as above.

Since there are too many settings and I am too lazy to go through and do some experiment with all of them, if this kind of a feature already exists, you could discard this thread.
(To be honest, add a settings preview will help a lot. I understand the text, but I just don't know how it effects the experience.)

highend

Re: Folder Preview Tabs like in Visual Studio and VSCode

Post by highend »

Configuration | Information | File Info Tips & Hover Box | [x] Show Hover Box

and you'll get a preview of the files and folders inside a directory in the tree, when you hover over the _icon_ of that item...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal