What is the quickest/shortest way to do this task?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

What is the quickest/shortest way to do this task?

Post by j_c_hallgren »

This task happens quite frequently and there is likely a quick way to do this that I've not realized... :oops: so...I'm asking here:

Background: I typically only have 2-3 tabs open and prefer that...and one being Search Results...I have a number of folders set as Excluded, such as IE Temp, etc...

I want to do a search for some file name pattern, such as *.pdf or similar, which I can often pick from my drop-down of prior ones..fine..but...
I most often want to look in "C:\" and that entry box/value typically gets set to something else...is there a quicker/shorter way to set just this value only?

Right now, I use the drop-down, which is ok, but takes a bit more time.
Templates might work but they seem to involve more keystrokes and/or mouse action than not..

I'd almost wish there was a checkbox under Location to say "search entire drive" which would use whatever drive was in the Location and ignore any folder that was there...kinda the opposite direction to "Include subfolders"
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

Yes Templates could do it (Alt+T on FF tab (after Ctrl+F) and then just choose the template, if needed, and Enter). Note that in this case, unless the Template has the pattern you want, you should load it first as it will set its stored pattern obviously.

Another way to go, if I understand you right (as in only filter used here is name, no dates, etc) is to do Ctrl+G (Go to feature, a really cool one IMHO 8) (just wish it'd support relatives paths.. :P), you can do the same in the Address Bar too if you prefer though) and then type: C:\?*.pdf /r

This will start a search for *.pdf in C:\ and recurse folders. I think it's the easiest way to go, and after you did it once that pattern (C:\?*.pdf /r) will be on the MRU so available from the list too ;)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Why don't you create a search template with the desired location in it and have it open in a find tab all the time.
Whenever you go there you might have to hit ESC to stop the search if it's on autostart, select your search pattern from the drop down and run it.
As long as you don't touch the location it stays.

Or create a template for each of your search jobs and once you load one with "run at once set" they just fly...

...and maybe we will soon be able to add search templates to the catalog as kind of an "autoload and run at once" kind of thing...
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Thanks for the inputs! However, there are a couple of things that make some suggestions maybe not as practical, and the main issue I'm having is that the Location box gets set to the current folder that I'm browsing, and that I most often wish to search the entire drive.

Also note that I personally prefer only having 2-3 tabs open at once...

The other factors are that I often include some custom date criteria that may stay constant or change with each search, and may also use size criteria...and once I've set these, loading a template knocks these out, right? And as the date criteria usually changes on a daily/usage basis, can't easily keep this as part of a template...

That's why I thought of the idea to have a checkbox under location to ignore any folders and search entire drive, and this would be reset to "off" when search is completed or aborted so as to not affect next run accidently.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

j_c_hallgren wrote:The other factors are that I often include some custom date criteria that may stay constant or change with each search, and may also use size criteria...and once I've set these, loading a template knocks these out, right? And as the date criteria usually changes on a daily/usage basis, can't easily keep this as part of a template...
Yes loading a template will "overwrite" your current settings (it's the whole point ;)) but what you could do is save a template that only have the name filter enabled, and is set to C:\ with inc. subfolders.

Then, once it's loaded (Ctrl+F, Alt+T, arrows keys & Enter. Pretty easy & quick I think), just input your pattern, and maybe set the date/size/etc you need and start the search.
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

jacky wrote:...Another way to go, ... type: C:\?*.pdf /r

This will start a search for *.pdf in C:\ and recurse folders. I think it's the easiest way to go, and after you did it once that pattern (C:\?*.pdf /r) will be on the MRU so available from the list too ;)
Thanks Jacky for that input, 'cos it's the first step to instant searches from the catalog:

Create a new item in the catalog and enter the search string, i.e. C:\?*.pdf /r as the destination. Here you go, an instant one click search "template".
Since the string is copied to the address bar when used, it's quite easy to edit the search criteria...
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)