Catalogue & Favorite Folders/Files

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
beethoven

Catalogue & Favorite Folders/Files

Post by beethoven »

Sorry if this is a very basic question but I am just starting to configure my XY, trying to understand all the options.
I realise that catalogue and favorite files is a very strong feature and would like to us e this extensively. I had no problem setting things up but just for my bestter understanding, what exactly happens when you place files or folders into the catalogue/favourites?
I assume you are not actually moving files? Are you creating kind of shortcuts to the original location? Assuming the favorite files are huge, would placing a file into the cataloge cause the space used on the hd to be increased or is this irrelevant as the actual file only exists once and the file under favorites is more like a virtual file? Since I can also rename the file under favorites without affecting the original, I assume whatever I do under favorites does not change the original? I just want to avoid making extensive changes without fully understanding the outcome.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Welcome to the world of XY! 8)

Favorite files could be equated with Favorites in Internet Explorer or bookmarks in other browsers...just a way to keep a pointer to often used values...and presently, as far as I know, the catalog is similar...but may/will be expanded in future...

Look in the Configuration INI file via the Tools menu and you'll see the Favorites listed within it...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

beethoven

Post by beethoven »

Thanks for the clarification J_C, I think I will now reorganise my files with total abandon :wink: