Bypass search when switching to SR tab? How?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Bypass search when switching to SR tab? How?

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Ok... :oops: Memory is not that good!

So...if I have two tabs open, one being "C:\My Documents" or similar and the other being "Search Results"...and I have an active Find Files criteria set...when I switch to the SR tab, the search restarts...is there a way that I don't at moment recall to block this auto-refresh for this tab only? I know I can hit ESC to stop it, but suppose I wanted to do a new search and went to this tab to do it...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Re: Bypass search when switching to SR tab? How?

Post by jacky »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Ok... :oops: Memory is not that good!

So...if I have two tabs open, one being "C:\My Documents" or similar and the other being "Search Results"...and I have an active Find Files criteria set...when I switch to the SR tab, the search restarts...is there a way that I don't at moment recall to block this auto-refresh for this tab only? I know I can hit ESC to stop it, but suppose I wanted to do a new search and went to this tab to do it...
Nope, no way to avoid the "refresh" (XY has to fill the List ;))

But, with a name like that I'm guessing you may have the Options for your search to be done in the "Search results" tab, so then just start your search in your first tab and it will automaticaly go in the SR tab ;)
(if you don't have that setting, just set it up in Find Files/Options)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Thanks, jacky! Yes, I do have "results to SR" as my standard...It was one of those "did I forget something obvious?" questions...and I can easily remember to set up search prior to switching to the SR tab...

However, in this case, I first wanted to sorta take a second/third look at my current SR tab after doing something unrelated in another tab, and didn't really want or need it updated...so...having a way to prevent a refresh might be an interesting idea...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

surrender

Post by surrender »

j_c_hallgren wrote:...so...having a way to prevent a refresh might be an interesting idea...
to me too. i wish it would not refresh again and again when i switch tabs.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

surrender wrote:
j_c_hallgren wrote:...so...having a way to prevent a refresh might be an interesting idea...
to me too. i wish it would not refresh again and again when i switch tabs.
You are talking about caching a search. Currently XY is proud to show all data live and fresh. But caching is on my (famous) list since long. And maybe a bit longer, but the day will come...

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:You are talking about caching a search. Currently XY is proud to show all data live and fresh. But caching is on my (famous) list since long. And maybe a bit longer, but the day will come...
Reviving this old thread...because...I had done a multi-drive search to SR tab and needed to do some operations based on results, which required me to go to other folders to delete/rename some files...
Since XY always does this auto-refresh, the only way I could see to do what I needed was to use Win Expl so I could task swap between XY's SR tab and WE to do the work...I'd naturally have preferred to stay within XY world...but...without search caching, I couldn't.

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

I'm with ya JC, I think caching the search should be default behaviour. After all, you just have to hit F5 to refresh it if you want ;)
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

j_c_hallgren wrote:the only way I could see to do what I needed was to use Win Expl
Here's another idea: start another XY, and switch between the two XY! :idea: Seriously, who needs the damn Explorer?? :twisted: :wink:

Regarding caching results, I think this is planned and will come along with Drop Stack, as one will be able to put his search results into a new DS.
Then, you'll be able to use VF or even run another search within previous search results thanks to DS. Oh yeah, DS are sweet 8)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

jacky wrote:Here's another idea: start another XY, and switch between the two XY! :idea: Seriously, who needs the damn Explorer?? :twisted: :wink:
I'd considered this...but the minor disadvantage to that is keeping track of which XY session is which...so using both app's makes it a bit easier...one for each function...I tend to have both up most all the time anyway, and often keep WE pointed to whatever folder I'm working with from other apps, which works best for my way of doing things...