Custom sort

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

admin wrote:
David.P wrote:I use this feature about like one million times a day, it's become absolutely indispensable for me :D.
Yeah, that sounds like quite indispensable.

XY's "Visual Filter" is in fact a file find under the hood: the data are filtered at browsing time rather than at showing time. This would be too slow for a "Find as you type filter box". So I would have to rewrite my VF for this... (should have done it the right way in the first place :roll: ). I'll insert that into the roadmap...
Does this mean that when you do this, applying the VF to a search will be near instant? :D
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

David.P wrote:
lukescammell wrote:...but imo, MAN that is one ugly looking setup you've got there!
Haha! As long as it is not as ugly as Tot*l Command*r, I'm perfectly happy with it...
Feel free to delete this link if you want Don, but IMO, the new Total Commander doesn't look too bad. Not as lovely as XY of course :) but certainly passable. http://exhibitq.com/XYplorer/Total%20Co ... -28-19.jpg

The quick filter thing you're talking about, does it wrk the same way as the one in Thunderbird? If so, I'd love to see that in XY, that would seriously rock :)

If you were to enable regex in it and have a "new tab" "go" button at the side of it as well, that would be the sherry on the cake :)

David.P

Post by David.P »

lukescammell wrote:the new Total Commander doesn't look too bad.
Indeed! I like especially the obviously new list mode "psychedelic view"... :shock: :lol: 8)

David.P

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

lukescammell wrote:
admin wrote:
David.P wrote:I use this feature about like one million times a day, it's become absolutely indispensable for me :D.
Yeah, that sounds like quite indispensable.

XY's "Visual Filter" is in fact a file find under the hood: the data are filtered at browsing time rather than at showing time. This would be too slow for a "Find as you type filter box". So I would have to rewrite my VF for this... (should have done it the right way in the first place :roll: ). I'll insert that into the roadmap...
Does this mean that when you do this, applying the VF to a search will be near instant? :D
Yep. :D

But, I maybe was too quick. XY's VFs have the nice property to stick to their tabs. They are in fact properties of tabs.

The filter-as-you-type box should be rather a global thing, I think. So it would in fact be another layer of filtering! ( :? or :D ... don't know yet).

But whatever it will be, it will be extremely fast!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

David.P wrote:
lukescammell wrote:the new Total Commander doesn't look too bad.
Indeed! I like especially the obviously new list mode "psychedelic view"... :shock: :lol: 8)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

Hey, if we have both, surely that's :D

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Another example of find-as-you-type, I believe, is the Google toolbar that brings up a list of matching sites as you type each letter...and yes, that ability would make XY even tha much better...but...what about the overhead to do so? As it might mean repeated scanning of drives...Given that files may be added/removed/renamed by other appl while XY is running, how might that affect that possible faeture...just wondering...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

David.P

Post by David.P »

In D*pus, the "FAYT filter box" only affects the currently displayed file list.

Thus, it is not neccessary to re-scan the files all the time, as the current file list probably is in memory anyway.

David.P