Installation

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
altoclef

Installation

Post by altoclef »

I am installing XYplorer_11.70_Install.exe, using a Standard user account on Windows 7.

When I run the installation .exe I get the error message attached. I understand why this is - as a Standard user I do not have access to the installation folder shown.
XYPlorerInstallationError.png
XYPlorerInstallationError.png (23.22 KiB) Viewed 688 times
If instead I right click the .exe and select Run as administrator I don't get the error message; however, if I then select Install just for me the Start Menu entries are not put in my Standard user account but they appear instead in the Start Menu for the Admin user on my computer.

Therefore I have to select Install for anyone using this computer in order to get the entries in my Start Menu. This is obviously against the terms of my XYplorer licence, which is for a single user.

My conclusions - the installation package should
* when installing as a Standard user, give me a UAC prompt so that I can elevate my privileges
* when installing as administrator and Install just for me, install XYPlorer under the user account of the current logged in user, not under another admin account which is present on the computer
* not allow Install for anyone using this computer, since all licences are per user.

RalphM

Re: Installation

Post by RalphM »

A single user license of XY allows one physical user to use XY on as many computers and with whatever username he uses.
As long as you're the only user of that computer you can install it for all users on it.
Hope this helped somehow.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

nas8e9

Re: Installation

Post by nas8e9 »

altoclef wrote:* when installing as a Standard user, give me a UAC prompt so that I can elevate my privileges
Confirmed. It's odd as UAC should recognise from the "install"-part of the file name, that it requires elevation; also, I vaguely recall a forum discussion of manifest-files, which can specify this?
altoclef wrote:* when installing as administrator and Install just for me, install XYPlorer under the user account of the current logged in user, not under another admin account which is present on the computer
Can't confirm; when installing as administrator just for the current user, shortcuts are only created in C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs.
altoclef wrote:* not allow Install for anyone using this computer, since all licences are per user.
I can think of scenarios where sole users of a computer have more than one account; I therefore don't think that's a sensible limitation.