How to fix column size?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
pvsurfer

How to fix column size?

Post by pvsurfer »

Hi all,

I'm a new xyplorer user (and forum member), and although I did search for an answer I can't find out how to fix the size of each column.

Coming from xplorer2, I am running xyplorer with dual horizontal panes (for now) and whenever I re-launch the program the columns in one or both of my panes have shrunk back to their original size! :veryconfused:

How do I instruct xyplorer to save my column-size settings?

pv

highend

Re: How to fix column size?

Post by highend »

What happens when you change one column width, open the menu and select "File - Settings - Save All Settings", quit and restart XYplorer?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

Tools > Customize List > Autosize columns, may be set?

pvsurfer

Post by pvsurfer »

highend wrote:What happens when you change one column width, open the menu and select "File - Settings - Save All Settings", quit and restart XYplorer?
Doing that does not save my settings! :roll:

pvsurfer

Post by pvsurfer »

nas8e9 wrote:Tools > Customize List > Autosize columns, may be set?
Nope (it's not checked). :eh:

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

pvsurfer wrote:
highend wrote:What happens when you change one column width, open the menu and select "File - Settings - Save All Settings", quit and restart XYplorer?
Do you have Configuration > Advanced > Miscellaneous > Remember list settings per tab, enabled and applied to at least Column layout?

highend

Post by highend »

Doing that does not save my settings!
Activate the left pane.
Menu - Tabsets - Go to Tabset Folder.
Enter the "t" folder that should be visible.
Open the pane.ini file with your favorite editor.
Close XYplorer!
Now change the line beginning with "Columns=" in the [ListBrowse] section.
E.g.:
Columns=Name.175,Ext.32,etc. and modify the first number after Name. +100 for example.
It should look like this afterwards:
Columns=Name.275,Ext.32,etc.
Save the file.

Start XYplorer.
Does the column size differ now?

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

*Can* you save?

I.e. problems with authorization, e.g. xydata not allowed to write?
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

highend

Post by highend »

xydata not allowed to write?
It sounds like a permission problem. Let's see if he is able to change the width through modifying the appropriate .ini file manually.

pvsurfer

Post by pvsurfer »

nas8e9 wrote:
pvsurfer wrote:
Do you have Configuration > Advanced > Miscellaneous > Remember list settings per tab, enabled and applied to at least Column layout?
Yes.

pvsurfer

Post by pvsurfer »

Hey guys, it now occurs to me that I did not describe my issue completely. Here is my issue...

As stated, I am using dual horizontal panes (upper and lower). When I open a folder in each of those panes and set the columns to my desired widths, xy remembers the settings. But then when I open another folder in either pane xy does not remember the column-widths that I set for the previous folder that was open in that pane (and for which I set my desired column-widths).

Surely I don't have to set my desired column-widths for every folder in my system! I should be able to set my desired column-widths one time and have those settings applied to every folder I choose to open in the respecive pane - right?

Sorry for not initially describing my issue as completely as I should have. Hopefully I have now...

pv

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

pvsurfer wrote:Surely I don't have to set my desired column-widths for every folder in my system! I should be able to set my desired column-widths one time and have those settings applied to every folder I choose to open in the respecive pane - right?
Thank you for the additional info. You're right: XYplorer keeps the same list settings from folder to folder within the same tab. The one exception I'm aware of, is if you've enabled Folder View Settings and in particular, if you've set a default FVS?

pvsurfer

Post by pvsurfer »

nas8e9 wrote:
pvsurfer wrote:...enabled Folder View Settings and in particular, if you've set a default FVS?
'Enable FVS' is checked and I clicked on 'Define folder view as default' - but no cigar. :(

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

pvsurfer wrote:
nas8e9 wrote:
pvsurfer wrote:...enabled Folder View Settings and in particular, if you've set a default FVS?
'Enable FVS' is checked and I clicked on 'Define folder view as default' - but no cigar. :(
Sorry for the confusion: I meant that having enabled FVS previously, would explain your problem. As for FVS being a solution, I'm not sure: you do seem to have a situation you shouldn't have and having a default FVS is very much like the situation you described and didn't want.

pvsurfer

Post by pvsurfer »

nas8e9 wrote:
pvsurfer wrote:
nas8e9 wrote:
Sorry for the confusion: I meant that having enabled FVS previously, would explain your problem. As for FVS being a solution, I'm not sure: you do seem to have a situation you shouldn't have and having a default FVS is very much like the situation you described and didn't want.
I appreciate your attempt to assist me with this dilemma - at this point I'm totally bewildered (and frustrated)! :(