floating preview doesnt show PDF here

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
serendipity

Re: floating preview doesnt show PDF here

Post by serendipity »

Anybody managed to do this on win7/32bit?

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Thanks ale, I made the registry change you suggested (Windows 7 x64 Home Premium) and I'm now able to view thumbnails for PDFs in XYplorer. I had to install PDF-XchangeViewer though. I was using Foxit's PDF viewer and I would still prefer to use it. I wish I could manage a similar reg edit modification to enable thumbnails using Foxit. Any ideas? Anyone conquer that one yet?

By the way, Don or anyone, I assume the intent of the Floating or Full Screen (for PDFs) is to simply view the front or first page and nothing else, is that correct? One needs to go to the normal built-in viewer or open the pdf in Foxit, PDF Xchnage Viewer or whatever to actually peruse though the document (i.e., paging or arrow keys in those views simply moves onto the next document).
Thanks Ken
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

klownboy wrote:By the way, Don or anyone, I assume the intent of the Floating or Full Screen (for PDFs) is to simply view the front or first page and nothing else, is that correct? One needs to go to the normal built-in viewer or open the pdf in Foxit, PDF Xchnage Viewer or whatever to actually peruse though the document (i.e., paging or arrow keys in those views simply moves onto the next document).
This is planned for Floating or Full Screen (for PDFs) 2.0.

ale

Post by ale »

I tried Foxit Reader on Windows 7 64 bit and I couldn't get thumbnails working even for Explorer. A quick look at their forum says thumbnail generation on 64 bit systems is not fully working at the moment.

I tried Adobe Reader 10.1.3 on Windows 7 32 bit and thumbnails works for Explorer and XYplorer out of the box without any special settings.

Edit: I now also tested Foxit Reader on Windows 7 32 bit, Explorer shows thumbnails, XYplorer doesn't. I don't know at this time if a kind of tweak is possible to bring thumbnails to XYplorer in this scenario.
Last edited by ale on 27 May 2012 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

I tried Foxit Reader on Windows 7 64 bit and I couldn't get thumbnails working even for Explorer. A quick look at their forum says thumbnail generation on 64 bit systems is not fully working at the moment.
Thanks ale, I'll have to keep tabs on the Foxit site and forum to see if they implement thumbnail generation on x64 systems.
This is planned for Floating or Full Screen (for PDFs) 2.0.
Thanks Don for the update. It is nice getting the thumbnails for PDFs now.

aurumdigitus

Post by aurumdigitus »

Being "registry-phobic" swallowed hard and implemented ale's patch to get pdf-XChange viewer working in XY. Now have good pdf's in Thumbnails and IP (for which I am grateful) but Full Screen and Floating Preview still yield a "no preview available".

Anything else to try to get those working? :D and simultaneously :veryconfused:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmm. Some tweak maybe? Can you test it with a fresh install?

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Hey aurumdigitus,
I had Foxit previously installed and I too installed PDF-XChange viewer and then made ale's registry change suggestion. However, I have both the Full screen and Floating Preview showing the PDF file cover or first page). It is quite nice. We may have to compare the applicable settings under Tools/Configuration/Preview, Previewed Formats and Thumbnails to see what the problem may be.

I have one issue though, someone may be able to help. With the above configuration (i.e., using PDF-XChange viewer on Windows 7 x64 and the registry tweak), for the folder one level up from the jpg pictures or PDF files, I have the (first) jpg file in the folder showing as the folder thumbnail which is great and the purpose of the setting "Show folder thumbnails" in the Configuration under Thumbnails. However, that particular function doesn't seem to work with most of the PDF folders. In one case, I have about 20 subfolders all containing various PDF manuals, but when viewing the main folder which shows the 20 subfolders only one has a PDF file thumbnail, the rest are the plain old vanila folders. Any thoughts?

Don, I believe you said you did the same ale registry tweak, do you see PDF thumbnails for all your folders?

Edit: Sorry, I was wrong above in saying only one PDF file shows up as a folder thumbnail. As it turns out, the one folder thumbnail showing up properly was a jpg file in amongst the PDF files in that folder. So, no PDF files show as folder thumbnails only JPGs. :( ??? Icons show as folder thumbnail also, but only single size icons not multi size.
Thanks,
Ken

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Try this tweak:
FolderThumbsShell=1

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BTW, has anybody used the "Microsoft Camera Codec Pack" (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=26829) successfully for RAW images in XYplorer? I cannot get it to work (Win7/64), neither for previews nor for metadata. :?

(Whereas FastPictureViewer Codec Pack works like a charme.)

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Hi Don,
Try this tweak:
FolderThumbsShell=1
Thanks. Using the tweak you suggested above does work, but instead of a thumbnail of the first PDF file in the folder instead the result is a thumbnail of a folder with the PDF inside it which is better, but I like the way the folders containing JPG pictures are shown with just a thumbnail of the first JPG. I've noticed that there is a yellowish background around the thumbnails for the folders containing JPGs (which is much more obvious for portrait JPGs) is there anyway to make that transparent?

I looked at the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack web site, but I haven't installed it. I noticed a link a the bottom of the page to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=32 to the Windows Imaging Component. According to the site, "The Windows Imaging Component (WIC) provides WIC-enabled applications to display and edit any image format for which a WIC-compliant CODEC is installed, and also to read and write metadata in image files". Could that possibly help?
Thanks,
Ken

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

klownboy wrote:Hi Don,
Try this tweak:
FolderThumbsShell=1
Thanks. Using the tweak you suggested above does work, but instead of a thumbnail of the first PDF file in the folder instead the result is a thumbnail of a folder with the PDF inside it which is better, but I like the way the folders containing JPG pictures are shown with just a thumbnail of the first JPG. I've noticed that there is a yellowish background around the thumbnails for the folders containing JPGs (which is much more obvious for portrait JPGs) is there anyway to make that transparent?

I looked at the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack web site, but I haven't installed it. I noticed a link a the bottom of the page to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=32 to the Windows Imaging Component. According to the site, "The Windows Imaging Component (WIC) provides WIC-enabled applications to display and edit any image format for which a WIC-compliant CODEC is installed, and also to read and write metadata in image files". Could that possibly help?
Thanks,
Ken
Thanks for the hint. I tried it (both 32 and 64 bit versions) but the setup failed with an error ("Could not find update.inf").

calude

Post by calude »

just to document my success to regain complete pdf preview in XYplorer with the new PDF-XChange Editor 5.5 from tracker software.
Win7 64 pro sp1
a small mod from a post in this same thread from Ale :appl:

in regedit add this

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.pdf\shellex\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{B2F55D43-C7A4-4B7C-90D7-7A860DFA9F2A}"
reboot and voila :lol:

Calude

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the info!