iPhone in XY

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Re: iPhone in XY

Post by admin »

40k wrote:You have to admit, "Native iPhone support" would look really great on that feature page of yours :D
Sure, it would certainly be nice to have. I would start to code it right away if the damn phone appeared.

ghostwalker

Post by ghostwalker »

admin wrote:Outside the VM I only have XP which does not support non-drives.
I'm using XP and my Samsung phone + iPad show up in Explorer without drive letter (drivers installed).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ghostwalker wrote:
I'm using XP and my Samsung phone + iPad show up in Explorer without drive letter (drivers installed).
Really! :shock: OK, I will check that later, sounds promising...

Post by 40k »

admin wrote:
ghostwalker wrote:
Really! :shock: OK, I will check that later, sounds promising...
I did some research and it appears that Windows XP does indeed support MTP. But the catch is you need to install some extra drivers.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download ... x?id=19153

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol
On Microsoft Windows, MTP is supported in Windows XP if Windows Media Player 10 or later versions are installed. Windows Vista and later have MTP support built in. For older versions of Windows, specifically, Windows 2000, Windows 98 and Windows Me, Microsoft has released the MTP Porting Kit.[11] which contains a MTP device driver.
Also, you're really stretching that XP service life if you ask me :D
I develop scripts that integrate media functionality into Xyplorer.
Hash - Twitch.tv in VLC (NEW 2.0!) - FFmpeg GUI - Youtube downloading
XYplorer for Linux! Tutorial

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I installed the MTP Porting Kit, rebooted, plugged my HTC smartphone into USB, and... nothing: it's not visible in Explorer.

Attached you see that my Device Manager at least sees an "Android Phone". But I have no idea which driver it needs. I googled, downloaded, tried, but I did not find the right thing.

Any ideas?
Attachments
AndroidPhone.png
AndroidPhone.png (49.54 KiB) Viewed 4966 times

Post by 40k »

admin wrote:OK, I installed the MTP Porting Kit, rebooted, plugged my HTC smartphone into USB, and... nothing: it's not visible in Explorer.

Attached you see that my Device Manager at least sees an "Android Phone". But I have no idea which driver it needs. I googled, downloaded, tried, but I did not find the right thing.

Any ideas?
We're getting closer.

I suggest you start by installing the HTC sync manager.
http://www.htc.com/www/software/htc-sync-manager/

That *should* install the required driver for your specific Desire device.

There's also this XDA forum post where a guy extracted the drivers directly from the sync manager executable.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2535581

But try the sync manager first and let us know what happens.

I have an old Nexus tablet lying around that is compatible with just about everything. If you can't get this to work with your phone I will gladly mail it to you as a loan for development.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I installed the HTC sync manager. Then I was forced to install WMP 11 (argh). Then after reboot the phone has disappeared from the device manager. No phone anywhere. I'm back to zero. Apart from that my system is now full of crap I don't need.

Post by 40k »

admin wrote:OK, I installed the HTC sync manager. Then I was forced to install WMP 11 (argh). Then after reboot the phone has disappeared from the device manager. No phone anywhere. I'm back to zero. Apart from that my system is now full of crap I don't need.
You may need to enable USB debugging on the HTC phones.

Go into your Developer Settings menu, should be in your general settings, and enable USB debugging.
If you do not have Developer Settings under your general settings you need to apply a small trick to active it.
http://www.androidcentral.com/how-enabl ... android-42

What it boils down to is you need to go into the "About" menu and tap the build number bar 7 times. Typical Google.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK: There is some progress! I managed to install the drivers, but still no phone in Explorer.

My phone offers 3 connection types (which one should I select to get the non-drive device in Explorer?):
1) HTC Sync: Works partly: "Android USB Devices"/"My HTC" is visible in device manager and looks alright. Only: the phone is not visible in Explorer. Do I have to run "HTC Sync" on the PC to make it appear??
2) Harddrive: This always worked (normal drive letter), but that's not wwhat we want now.
3) USB Connection: "Android USB Devices"/"My HTC" disappears from device manager, and no phone anywhere.

USB-Debugging in ON all the time.

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Wait. Don, you said you have the HTC Desire right? The one that came out in 2010? ICS did not come out during that time and it's only starting with Android Honeycomb (version 3.0) for tablets and finally ICS (version 4.0) did MTP is included by default on the system. Therefore you would not be able to see the phone as a device no matter what setting you have set.

The only way you could possibly get MTP for that particular rom is rooting it and using a custom rom. That's not a route that's easy. So... unless you get a device at least Honeycomb or above, you won't be able to play with MTP yet unfortunately.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sigh. The feature is justing popping down the todo list a couple of places... :|

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BTW, during the failed attempts to get my phone into the system I apparently some killed one of my USB ports. It's just dead now and does not react on any plugin anymore. Any idea what could have screwed it (and what could get it back from the dead)?

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Try going into Device Manager and looking for Universal Serial Bus Controllers and under that, USB Hubs. Make sure under "View", you're in "Devices by Type". Do any of them have any exclamation points? You should be able to right click on them and "disable" and "reinstall" drivers, etc. Many times with a USB hub you have to disable and enable to reestablish the HUB and get the flash drive or external drive to be recognized (i.e., not just enable, it has to be disabled first). It may need the USB drivers reloaded if something drastic happened, but they should be on your system and Windows should find them without you having to look. I'm surprised though, on a cold boot-up Windows should recognize that the USB Hub is not functioning and automatically reload the driver.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see no exclamation marks. Is it normal that "USB root hub" appears two times?
Attachments
USB.png
USB.png (2.45 KiB) Viewed 4859 times

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

I have 8 hubs on my desktop.
USB hubs.PNG
USB hubs.PNG (13.23 KiB) Viewed 4850 times
Have you tried shutting it down and then re-booting? When you right click on the HUB and look at properties, does Windows report that the HUB is working properly? From the right click menu you may want to try to disable then re-enable the hub. If that doesn't work, uninstall the driver and then re-install. If you uninstalled a driver, Windows should automatically re-install it on a cold boot-up.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440