Help to deal with document files strange behavior...

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
cadu

Help to deal with document files strange behavior...

Post by cadu »

Hi,

I am new user of XYplorer (XY). Although a newbie, I am considering this tool very impressive and handy!!!

Anyway, when handling document files some issues have appeared. I would appreciate any help to solve them:

1. Although it is mentioned in XYplorer feature that there are thumbnails for non-picture, I couldn't see the thumbnails to Word and Excel files (just to PDF and PowerPoint). Is there any configuration to be made?

2. When I click on Excel and PowerPoint files, a pop-up window is opened asking to open or save the file or cancel it (to all other files including PDF and Word the behavior is normal = just select file). Is there any way of disable it? I would like just to select the file, nothing more...

3. Excel and PowerPoint files can't be preview (just Word and PowerPoint). But it seems to be a XY feature. Is there any configuration to be made?

Thanks in advance,
Cadu

admin
Site Admin

Re: Help to deal with document files strange behavior...

Post by admin »

cadu

Post by cadu »

The XYplorer FAQ send to:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3 ... &x=13&y=12

In this Microsoft Support is recommended to run a Fix tool. I tried it but the Fix tool couldn't provide solution=> "The Microsoft Fix it does not apply to your operating system or application version".

The issue is that the thread above is about 2007. After that I found this other thread which is directed to Office 2010:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982995

So I suggest this latter tread be added to the XYplorer FAQ as well, saying to the user see what is the office version in use. And an explanation would bring clearer: After have installed the Fix Tool select the file through XYplorer interface. When asking about open, save or cancel, it is just uncheck the box "always ask..." and then click on open. After that any other file will be open directly through XYplorer preview.

HELP=> Although XYplorer is able to preview Office files now, it still not showing the thumbnails to .XLS and .DOC files. I can visualize thumbnails just to .PDF and .PPT. Do you suggest any further operation/configuration?

Thanks!
Cadu

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

cadu wrote:The XYplorer FAQ send to:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3 ... &x=13&y=12

In this Microsoft Support is recommended to run a Fix tool. I tried it but the Fix tool couldn't provide solution=> "The Microsoft Fix it does not apply to your operating system or application version".

The issue is that the thread above is about 2007. After that I found this other thread which is directed to Office 2010:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982995

So I suggest this latter tread be added to the XYplorer FAQ as well, saying to the user see what is the office version in use. And an explanation would bring clearer: After have installed the Fix Tool select the file through XYplorer interface. When asking about open, save or cancel, it is just uncheck the box "always ask..." and then click on open. After that any other file will be open directly through XYplorer preview.

HELP=> Although XYplorer is able to preview Office files now, it still not showing the thumbnails to .XLS and .DOC files. I can visualize thumbnails just to .PDF and .PPT. Do you suggest any further operation/configuration?

Thanks!
Cadu
Thanks for the heads up!

Conc. thumbnails: On my system also Explorer does not show DOC thumbs. But I know that it works for other users. I hope any of them chimes in...

Thondar

Post by Thondar »

I have run this fix and I still can not view excel files. I get the metadata screen only. This is very frustrating and the main reason I no longer use this tool

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Thondar wrote:I have run this fix and I still can not view excel files. I get the metadata screen only. This is very frustrating and the main reason I no longer use this tool
This has been your 2nd post on the forum so I assume you've tried very hard to solve that nagging problem yourself, without any question asked here and then just dumped it!?!?
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

gks

Post by gks »

Although so many persons have talked about the problem ->
"trying to preview excel file and PPts" opens a new window asking "open, save or close".

There is also the solution provided in the FAQs on XYplorer website (the fixes are for office 2007 and 2010 and not for 2013).
There are also some steps to-be-manually performed for Windows 7 users, but using that and the advice provided by others on my "Windows 7 64-bit with MS OFFICE 2013", only does ONE thing,

It opens that excel file and the ppt AGAIN in MS OFFICE 2013's excel and power point applications respectively, just-without showing the "open, save or close" dialogue box.

But i'm still not able to preview the excel and ppt files in the XYplorer's "preview" tab in "info" panel.

Please provide some guidelines for it

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

gks wrote:But i'm still not able to preview the excel and ppt files in the XYplorer's "preview" tab in "info" panel.
Same here with Win 8.1 x64, Office 2013. :(

Cheers,
Filehero

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's on my list.