64bit version?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
mikes16
Posts: 54
Joined: 02 Mar 2007 16:18

Re: 64bit version?

Post by mikes16 » 24 Mar 2012 10:23

There is a file manager from a company in Australia that has been 64-bit for some time.

Provides all of the XYPlorer functions that "I" require - I am sure there are plenty of scripting things other user's of XYplorer require that are not in the Australian software I am using.

I have no choice - my company only provides 64-bit Windows 7. Besides XYPlorer - I don't feel like I left the 32-bit world behind at all - every single piece of software I use works fine - with the exception of XYPlorer.

I understand your challenges - you chose a platform that only supports 32-bit - so YOU left the 64-bit world (or refused to enter it).

You have a nice product, but until "the compiler writers" bring your language of choice into the 64-bit world I have no use for it.

Best of luck - still watching these forums "hoping" ...

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 49444
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: 64bit version?

Post by admin » 24 Mar 2012 10:38

mikes16 wrote:...every single piece of software I use works fine - with the exception of XYPlorer.
What is it that does not work? Is it really so important that you prefer to miss out what XY has to offer?

You don't have to reply. It's more of a rhetorical question. I'm almost fascinated by the apparent fact that many users get so deeply impressed by any feature that does not work or exist (compared to rivaling products) that they overlook any amount of features that do exist. Looks like the highway to unhappiness because every product will miss something that another product has. Please (I'm talking now to the universal user): Focus on what is, not on what's not.

Peace :ugeek:
FAQ | XY News RSS | XY Twitter | Stay home! 🎸 Or wear a mask! 😷

rhoelzl
Posts: 172
Joined: 28 Dec 2009 11:20

Re: 64bit version?

Post by rhoelzl » 28 Mar 2012 15:33

Since PCs nowadays come with more than 4 GB of RAM there is pretty much no alternative to 64bit Windows. I have 4 GB and was so annoyed by 64 bit Windows, that I tried 32 bit instead, but even then I don't get my full RAM. My next PC is probably going to have 8 GB...

For many applications you can just install BOTH the 32 bit and 64 bit version (like in the case of 7-zip) in order to get the context menu everywhere. That is what I do.

But that does not always work. E.g., WinCDEmu does not allow that because it is so "close to the system" that you simply cannot install the 32 bit version in 64 bit Windows.

@Donald: Is there really any hope for a 64 bit VB6 compiler? I don't understand why anyone would even want to produce this? Maybe I am missing something?

sclg
Posts: 26
Joined: 23 Sep 2009 15:47
Location: UK

Re: 64bit version?

Post by sclg » 28 Mar 2012 15:53

admin wrote:Focus on what is, not on what's not.
Absolutely right.

The world is moving to 64 bit. So what? I'm perfectly happy with the 99.9% of XYplorer that works perfectly under W7 64 bit. If there is something in that 0.1% you can't live without then you need another product!

I'm sure a 64 bit version will arrive in the end. (If we wait long enough, 32 bit apps won't work any more like 16 bit ones now!!)

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 49444
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: 64bit version?

Post by admin » 28 Mar 2012 19:03

rhoelzl wrote:@Donald: Is there really any hope for a 64 bit VB6 compiler? I don't understand why anyone would even want to produce this?
To get rich. Visual Basic is the most successful programming language ever and the demand to continue this history is huge.
FAQ | XY News RSS | XY Twitter | Stay home! 🎸 Or wear a mask! 😷

sclg
Posts: 26
Joined: 23 Sep 2009 15:47
Location: UK

Re: 64bit version?

Post by sclg » 28 Mar 2012 19:47

admin wrote:Visual Basic is the most successful programming language ever ...
Might have been once (MS ended support in 2008) but long overtaken by a host of others - see http://langpop.com/

I'll repeat that I'm perfectly happy with XYPlorer as it is - but from what I read, the chances of a VB 64 bit compiler are pretty close to zero.

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 49444
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: 64bit version?

Post by admin » 28 Mar 2012 20:19

sclg wrote:
admin wrote:Visual Basic is the most successful programming language ever ...
Might have been once (MS ended support in 2008) but long overtaken by a host of others - see http://langpop.com/

I'll repeat that I'm perfectly happy with XYPlorer as it is - but from what I read, the chances of a VB 64 bit compiler are pretty close to zero.
Software lives longer than the support of the IDE makers. The point is that now more VB apps exist and are used in companies (notorious late adopters) than apps made in any other language. I cannot prove it but I also don't think it's possible to prove the opposite. There are no stats about this.

Anyway, I agree that I find it strange that the compiler is not yet available. I know of a German group that are working on one for more than 2 years now, but apparently rather as a side project.

Well, even if it never comes out, it's not a big problem. That context menu thing can be solved easily by a little helper app as is already shown by TC. The only problem is that people will start to think bad of 32-bit apps. But many people also think bad of VB apps. The success of XY has proved them wrong. :P
FAQ | XY News RSS | XY Twitter | Stay home! 🎸 Or wear a mask! 😷

PeterH
Posts: 2592
Joined: 21 Nov 2005 20:39
Location: Germany

Re: 64bit version?

Post by PeterH » 28 Mar 2012 22:56

admin wrote:Well, even if it never comes out, it's not a big problem. That context menu thing can be solved easily by a little helper app as is already shown by TC. The only problem is that people will start to think bad of 32-bit apps. But many people also think bad of VB apps. The success of XY has proved them wrong. :P
Maybe people think bad about 32bit applications. OK.
But they talk bad about 32bit applications, when they have problems with 32bit context-menu, as there is no helper app. And if they have problems with access of some system libraries...

So if you would solve these problems, people would talk much less about 32 bit. They just would have no reason...
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

eil
Posts: 1094
Joined: 13 Jan 2011 19:44

Re: 64bit version?

Post by eil » 28 Mar 2012 23:12

well, there enough people thinking and saying Win Vista/7/8 getting only worse(including me :roll: ), but it doesn't stop other bunch of people to use these.

Borut
Posts: 1390
Joined: 19 Oct 2010 19:29

Re: 64bit version?

Post by Borut » 28 Mar 2012 23:23

admin wrote:The point is that now more VB apps exist and are used in companies (notorious late adopters) than apps made in any other language. I cannot prove it but I also don't think it's possible to prove the opposite. There are no stats about this.
[...]
But many people also think bad of VB apps. The success of XY has proved them wrong. :P
Could say the same for Delphi/Pascal and some propriety software in use in industry all over the world.

"The stuff in the hand of a wizard may be more than a prop for age." By J.R.Tolkien in The Lord of the Rings. Book II - The Two Towers.
Win 7 Pro 64bit

Steel
Posts: 56
Joined: 30 Dec 2011 15:37

Re: 64bit version?

Post by Steel » 29 Mar 2012 14:41

admin wrote:
mikes16 wrote:...every single piece of software I use works fine - with the exception of XYPlorer.
What is it that does not work? Is it really so important that you prefer to miss out what XY has to offer?

You don't have to reply. It's more of a rhetorical question. I'm almost fascinated by the apparent fact that many users get so deeply impressed by any feature that does not work or exist (compared to rivaling products) that they overlook any amount of features that do exist. Looks like the highway to unhappiness because every product will miss something that another product has. Please (I'm talking now to the universal user): Focus on what is, not on what's not.

Peace :ugeek:
I am one of the "stupid" users who get their PC with a 64 OS because it was a special offer and that is all I could afford: my blame apparently.
I am also not that experienced so I am aware I use a small fraction of what XY can do but I learn what I need as I go along but I wouldn't mind doing everything in XY so I anxiously await the x64 version too.

About the things that do not work for me is the Antivirus context menu entries which is quite annoying (is there a shortcut\script to open the XY location I am in in Windows Explorer please?) and the"missing recycle bin" (the system cannot find the path specified).

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 49444
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: 64bit version?

Post by admin » 29 Mar 2012 14:47

Steel wrote:... the"missing recycle bin" (the system cannot find the path specified).
:shock: Missing recycle bin? How does this look? You have a screenshot?
FAQ | XY News RSS | XY Twitter | Stay home! 🎸 Or wear a mask! 😷

highend
Posts: 9260
Joined: 06 Feb 2011 00:33

Re: 64bit version?

Post by highend » 29 Mar 2012 14:47

(is there a shortcut\script to open the XY location I am in in Windows Explorer please?)

Code: Select all

	$path = tab("get", "path");
	open """%windir%\explorer.exe"" ""$path""";
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or paypal_donate (at) stdmail (dot) de

eil
Posts: 1094
Joined: 13 Jan 2011 19:44

Re: 64bit version?

Post by eil » 29 Mar 2012 15:05

Steel wrote:and the"missing recycle bin" (the system cannot find the path specified).
system or XY? i once had a situation where XY didn't show Recycle Bin -it was due to me renaming it "strangly" :)

Steel
Posts: 56
Joined: 30 Dec 2011 15:37

Re: 64bit version?

Post by Steel » 29 Mar 2012 15:08

highend wrote:
(is there a shortcut\script to open the XY location I am in in Windows Explorer please?)

Code: Select all

	$path = tab("get", "path");
	open """%windir%\explorer.exe"" ""$path""";
Wow it works but mostly I was able to make it work: many thanks Highend!

Post Reply