Thumbnails, Previews, and Icons

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
janetb

Thumbnails, Previews, and Icons

Post by janetb »

I just installed XYplorer, and have some functions I'm used to which I cannot reproduce.....I have been using Windows Explorer on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

1) In XYExplorer, ICONS for ALL image files (including psd) are a page of white paper with a turned-down, upper-right corner. In Windows Explorer, each format has its own icon. Any way to get the traditional icons to show?

2) In XYExplorer, PDF thumbnails appear as the pdf icon rather than the image of the first page of the pdf. In Windows Explorer, PDF thumbnails give the image of the first page. Can this be done in XYplorer?

3) In Windows Explorer, the PREVIEW pane for PDF files gives thumbnails of all the pages, size adjustable by dragging the pane. In XYExplorer, the Preview pane/tab opens my default pdf viewer (PDF-XChange Viewer) inside the preview pane (!), showing the file full size pdf file (you have to scroll a lot to see it all). Any way to get adjustable size thumbnails in the Preview pane instead of the entire pdf-viewer app?

4) In Windows Explorer, I get first-page image thumbnails AND all-pages-adustable-size-thumbnails previews for CorelDraw files (.cdr) . In XYExplorer, I'm getting just the Corel icon instead of an image thumbnail and a "Cannot decode" message in the preview pane.

I have added .pdf and .cdr to the list of Previewed Formats under Image Files. No help.

5) Have totally lost Lockhunter ("What is locking this file/folder?") in r-click context menu for all files and folders.

These functions are pretty important to me. Thanks for any help!

Janet

nas8e9

Re: Thumbnails, Previews, and Icons

Post by nas8e9 »

Hi and welcome,
janetb wrote:I just installed XYplorer, and have some functions I'm used to which I cannot reproduce.....I have been using Windows Explorer on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

1) In XYExplorer, ICONS for ALL image files (including psd) are a page of white paper with a turned-down, upper-right corner. In Windows Explorer, each format has its own icon. Any way to get the traditional icons to show?
I can't explain that. On my computer (Windows 7 x64 SP1, XYplorer 10.80.0108, ACDSee Photo Manager 12) I see distinct icons for different extensions.
janetb wrote:2) In XYExplorer, PDF thumbnails appear as the pdf icon rather than the image of the first page of the pdf. In Windows Explorer, PDF thumbnails give the image of the first page. Can this be done in XYplorer?

3) In Windows Explorer, the PREVIEW pane for PDF files gives thumbnails of all the pages, size adjustable by dragging the pane. In XYExplorer, the Preview pane/tab opens my default pdf viewer (PDF-XChange Viewer) inside the preview pane (!), showing the file full size pdf file (you have to scroll a lot to see it all). Any way to get adjustable size thumbnails in the Preview pane instead of the entire pdf-viewer app?
I'd try the following:
1. install the latest beta from here, as there was a recent fix for preview problems;
2. make sure your PDF-XChange Viewer-install includes the Shell Extensions.
janetb wrote:4) In Windows Explorer, I get first-page image thumbnails AND all-pages-adustable-size-thumbnails previews for CorelDraw files (.cdr) . In XYExplorer, I'm getting just the Corel icon instead of an image thumbnail and a "Cannot decode" message in the preview pane.

I have added .pdf and .cdr to the list of Previewed Formats under Image Files. No help.
This may be explained (I can't test this as I don't have those programmes installed) by Corel only installing 64-bit extensions/viewers, whereas XYplorer (as a 32-bit app) requires 32-bit extensions/viewers. Like your next problem, such problems should go away when a 64-bit version of XYplorer becomes available. This is currently foreseen for late this year.
janetb wrote:5) Have totally lost Lockhunter ("What is locking this file/folder?") in r-click context menu for all files and folders.
This is probably explained by this FAQ.

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

Hi, janetb

Icons
Tools > Configuration > Advanced > Icons
uncheck "Use generic icons for super-fast browsing"

Lockhunter
There are various workarounds for the 64-bit problem but they're a bit involved.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

FeatureCreep wrote:Hi, janetb

Icons
Of course! Thank you.

Muroph

Post by Muroph »

janetb wrote:5) Have totally lost Lockhunter ("What is locking this file/folder?") in r-click context menu for all files and folders.
try adding lockhunter to the "send to" list.

go to "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo" and create a shortcut for lockhunter there.
My shared scripts:
TeraCopy Integration, Tag Manager, Comments Menu, Text Replacer, Image and Media Tools, Checksum Calculator, Video Calculator
only 5 URLs are allowed on the sig...

janetb

Post by janetb »

FeatureCreep wrote:Hi, janetb

Icons

Lockhunter
There are various workarounds for the 64-bit problem but they're a bit involved.
Icons: That box already was NOT checked...:-)...

64-bit problems: Is there a way to install ONLY the shell extensions from the 32bit versions of these programs (as opposed to installing the entire 32bit program)?

janetb

Post by janetb »

Muroph wrote:
try adding lockhunter to the "send to" list.

go to "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo" and create a shortcut for lockhunter there.
I removed Send To from my context menu--along with everything else I do not use. LockHunter is Smart--it appears in relevant context menus only and directly supplies the answer. If I just wanted a shortcut to the program, there are plenty of ways to do that..:-)....

janetb

Post by janetb »

nas8e9 wrote:I can't explain that. On my computer (Windows 7 x64 SP1, XYplorer 10.80.0108, ACDSee Photo Manager 12) I see distinct icons for different extensions.
I see different icons for different extensions on ALL viewers for ALL files EXCEPT for image files (tif, jpeg, tga, psd, png, etc, etc.....) on XYplorer.
nas8e9 wrote:I'd try the following:
1. install the latest beta from here, as there was a recent fix for preview problems;
I don't know if I can do this, as my download was from Giveawayoftheday (Pro version for free). I don't think upgrades are allowed, and I don't want to lose my present license, as I won't be able to reinstall. Also, not keen on having two versions. Not keen on beta versions.
nas8e9 wrote: 2. make sure your PDF-XChange Viewer-install includes the Shell Extensions..
Don't know how to do this, but as I say, my ONLY problem is with XYplorer. I have image icons and preview fpr pdf's in all my (many) viewers.....
nas8e9 wrote: This may be explained (I can't test this as I don't have those programmes installed) by Corel only installing 64-bit extensions/viewers, whereas XYplorer (as a 32-bit app) requires 32-bit extensions/viewers. Like your next problem, such problems should go away when a 64-bit version of XYplorer becomes available. This is currently foreseen for late this year.
Is there a way to install 32bit shell extensions without installing the whole 32bit program?

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

janetb wrote:
nas8e9 wrote:I can't explain that. On my computer (Windows 7 x64 SP1, XYplorer 10.80.0108, ACDSee Photo Manager 12) I see distinct icons for different extensions.
I see different icons for different extensions on ALL viewers for ALL files EXCEPT for image files (tif, jpeg, tga, psd, png, etc, etc.....) on XYplorer.
Out of ideas for now, I'm afraid.
janetb wrote:
nas8e9 wrote:I'd try the following:
I don't know if I can do this, as my download was from Giveawayoftheday (Pro version for free). I don't think upgrades are allowed, and I don't want to lose my present license, as I won't be able to reinstall. Also, not keen on having two versions. Not keen on beta versions.
I should have asked which version; yours already contains the relevant fix.
janetb wrote:
nas8e9 wrote:2. make sure your PDF-XChange Viewer-install includes the Shell Extensions..
Don't know how to do this, but as I say, my ONLY problem is with XYplorer. I have image icons and preview fpr pdf's in all my (many) viewers.....
In Programs and Features. the PDF X-Change-item will likely have a modify button shown in the toolbar.
janetb wrote:
nas8e9 wrote:This may be explained (I can't test this as I don't have those programmes installed) by Corel only installing 64-bit extensions/viewers, whereas XYplorer (as a 32-bit app) requires 32-bit extensions/viewers. Like your next problem, such problems should go away when a 64-bit version of XYplorer becomes available. This is currently foreseen for late this year.
Is there a way to install 32bit shell extensions without installing the whole 32bit program?
The unhelpful answer is: it depends. Do you miss anything besides Corel and LockHunter and could you list the exact version and bitness of both as well?
Last edited by nas8e9 on 06 Feb 2012 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

janetb wrote:I see different icons for different extensions on ALL viewers for ALL files EXCEPT for image files (tif, jpeg, tga, psd, png, etc, etc.....) on XYplorer.
Did you try closing XYplorer and restarting? Sometimes this fixes it.

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

Icons
------
There is a feature to...
View > Caches > Refresh List Icons
...which is sometimes useful when trying to fix icon glitches, but it doesn't sound like a refresh will be enough.

It is intriguing that it is only the icons of image files that are affected. Can you see the correct icons in Windows Explorer (just being thorough)? Are they all associated with the same app -CorelDraw or something?

I can only suggested that those formats are associated in some non-standard way in the registry. You can have your own set of Portable File Associations in XYplorer but they do not affect the icons displayed in the list for each file type. What icons you see in Windows Explorer should be what you get in XY. :?

PDF Thumbnails
--------------
Sorry don't use them, so can't advise.

Lockhunter
----------
If I just wanted a shortcut to the program [Lockhunter], there are plenty of ways to do that.
Yes that was what I meant by "involved" (didn't know if you were a power user).
Lock hunter has lots of command line options
http://lockhunter.com/manual.htm#commandLine

Maybe reinstalling Lockhunter might do it as they're documentation says...
Full Explorer context menu integration
Now 64 bit installer integrates the item of the Explorer's shell menu into both 32 bit and 64 bit applications.
http://lockhunter.com/version-2-0-beta1.htm
Persevere with XY, it will be worth the effort, I promise. :)