Edit boxes et al

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
JohnM

Edit boxes et al

Post by JohnM »

I'm not sure if this is by design or not, however, the Visual Filter edit box (and probably other edit boxes as well) loses its cursor postion if you switch out of XY and then back again half way through typing something. That is, when you switch back the entire text field is selected which can cause you to lose what you were doing if you are not careful and continue typing.

Is there is a setting to turn this off?

Also, pressing f2 to rename a file does not select the filename's extension. Is it possible to have this bahaviour configurable?

Cheers
JohnM

admin
Site Admin

Re: Edit boxes et al

Post by admin »

JohnM wrote:...Is there is a setting to turn this off?
No, this is a bullshit "feature" of the Edit Control I'm using here. Sooner or later I'll write my own (as I already did with most controls you see in XY).
JohnM wrote:Also, pressing f2 to rename a file does not select the filename's extension. Is it possible to have this bahaviour configurable?
Yes, I'll add that (it's on my todo list anyway).

admin
Site Admin

Re: Edit boxes et al

Post by admin »

admin wrote:
JohnM wrote:Also, pressing f2 to rename a file does not select the filename's extension. Is it possible to have this bahaviour configurable?
Yes, I'll add that (it's on my todo list anyway).
I did it. I'm still a bit unhappy with the caption of the option. Maybe an English speaker can help me here: "Exclude extension from rename pre-selection"... is that okay/clear enough??

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Haven't had a chance to think about it that much...but maybe another way would be "Select entire filename on rename"? (or "full" instead of "entire")
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Haven't had a chance to think about it that much...but maybe another way would be "Select entire filename on rename"? (or "full" instead of "entire")
I rather would talk about the wonderful not-selecting-of-the-extension instead of what everybody else does too.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Ok...but given that the default would be to not select the extension, and the option switch be OFF....I was trying to make a option caption that was easily understandable which often means as few words as possible...and thus found your suggested caption a bit convoluted (sorry!)...but IF you go that way, I'd suggest "Exclude extension on rename" with a full description in the Help section instead...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:I'd suggest "Exclude extension on rename" with a full description in the Help section instead...
Yeah, not bad!