Flat View must not be called "Flat View"

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Gandolf

Re: Flat View must not be called "Flat View"

Post by Gandolf »

jjk wrote:Why not Branch view ?
Branch view is used by TC.

Also, DOpus did not invent the view, although they may have been the first to use the name. It existed in XTreeGold in 1991 (and possibly before, I have the XTreeGold manual for version 2.5 from the days when you received printed documentation). It was called simply "Branch" (and still is in ZTree).

Trasd

Post by Trasd »

TheQwerty wrote:Remove Flat from the name entirely... :wink:
Full List of All Things View
LMAO - I love it...

"Raze View" was all I could come up with (added to my original post) - told you I was bad at names, but if I think of more, I will add them here instead of cluttering up this topic.

Surely this group of people will come up with something clever!

EDITED (my list)
A whole category of views called "XYplorer XYtreme Views," i.e.:
  • XYtreme Folders View (this would be - for now - equivalent to "Flat View")
    • Marco's XYtreme Holo View
  • XYtreme Find View (the new feature you just added that shows only the folders that contain the files matching the search criteria)
  • XYtreme MiniTree View (for whatever you want)
etc., I think you get the idea.

I'm not saying precede everything with XYtreme everywhere, just mostly on the WEB Site and definitely not in the documentation, except maybe as a heading.
Last edited by Trasd on 25 Nov 2011 17:15, edited 5 times in total.
Trasd

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." A.C.C.

"I'll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." J. M.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Trasd wrote:... I would really suggest you not use the term "flat" anywhere in the new name.
Why not? I did not understand your point.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:
Branch view is used by TC.

Also, DOpus did not invent the view, although they may have been the first to use the name. It existed in XTreeGold in 1991 (and possibly before, I have the XTreeGold manual for version 2.5 from the days when you received printed documentation). It was called simply "Branch" (and still is in ZTree).
DOpus themselves claim to have copied the feature from TNT File Manager (I found that in a thread in x2 forums). :)

XY (then TrackerV3) had the feature (under a different name) already in 2000, so clearly earlier than DO anyway:

Code: Select all

v3.02.0117 - 2000-03-23 14:26
    + Added 'Find on browse' option (located on the Name & Location tab).
      If checked, file find with the current parameters automatically starts when
      you select a folder or drive in TreeView.
      This option can for example be used to invoke a 'See all files' mode when all
      find filters are disabled, ie you'll get a list of all files below the current
      folder including subfolders.
      Or you can do selective browsing, for example if you're only interested in
      icon files, set the name filter to '*.ico' and all you gonna see is icons.

eil

Post by eil »

both Flattened View and Flat List are good, so it's for you to decide, Don.
though DO are pathetic claiming something about 2 words :evil:
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I still like "Flattened View" the best. It can be abbreviated to "Flat. View" (not trademarked) if space is a problem.

Trasd

Post by Trasd »

admin wrote:
Trasd wrote:... I would really suggest you not use the term "flat" anywhere in the new name.
Two reasons Don:
  • First, to make the term distinctly your own (or XYplorer's own). Naming it with "Flat" in the name, to me, suggest your are trying to emulate the feature, like the name. I know this is not true, but it makes me think of Walmart generic brands that say "Compare to the active ingredients of brand [name] XXX...." Also, so that in the future, people wouldn't refer to the feature as "Flat View" in articles and such, but "Raze View" or whatever you name it. I realize this is wishful thinking, but what if you add something new to this feature in the future and you want to make it distinctive - you would have to rename it again. Make it belong to XYplorer, not generic. In marketing, impression is everything.
  • Second, like nas8e9 suggested, it will avoid all possible future legal issues.
I know everyone is going to argue with this point of view, but I usually call it as I see it.
Trasd

"I'll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." J. M.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Trasd wrote:I know everyone is going to argue with this point of view, but I usually call it as I see it.
Nope..not everyone...I fully agree! Pretty sure that Don could do as suggested by using "Compare to Flat View (TM) in DO" in description, esp if XY's has features that make it unique as we know it will.
admin wrote:
The word "flat" is already present in user code (/:flat). This cannot be withdrawn. That's why "flat" must be part of the term.
Couldn't that switch value be handled internally and converted to whatever term is used? Given how new the feature is, I don't think it's that prevalent.

Heck, I'd even put a comment on site when you change it to whatever that it was caused by a 'cease and desist' by DO just to give a lil dig to them.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Marco

Post by Marco »

Holo™ View
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

tiago

Post by tiago »

Marco wrote:Holo™ View
Cool.
Guys, don't forget that when one registers a product or whatever it is registering also its similarities... If DO is caring about the term, it should be left for good. :roll:

Flat. View for Flattened View abbr.: LOL
Power-hungry user!!!

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

I like "Flat list" the best.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

Collapsed view?

Or just keep it "Flat", like other views List, Details etc. One cannot TM flat i suppose. or?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm currently waiting for a reply from DO to this question: Why is FreeCommander allowed to use "Flat View" and I'm not? No further action is needed until I get this reply.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Trasd wrote:
admin wrote:
Two reasons Don:
  • First, to make the term distinctly your own (or XYplorer's own). Naming it with "Flat" in the name, to me, suggest your are trying to emulate the feature, like the name. I know this is not true, but it makes me think of Walmart generic brands that say "Compare to the active ingredients of brand [name] XXX...." Also, so that in the future, people wouldn't refer to the feature as "Flat View" in articles and such, but "Raze View" or whatever you name it. I realize this is wishful thinking, but what if you add something new to this feature in the future and you want to make it distinctive - you would have to rename it again. Make it belong to XYplorer, not generic. In marketing, impression is everything.
  • Second, like nas8e9 suggested, it will avoid all possible future legal issues.
I know everyone is going to argue with this point of view, but I usually call it as I see it.
I agree that, in marketing, impression is everything, but in this case I would find it ridiculuous to sell a feature that's commonly known as "flat view" under a different name. That's almost cheating. It is a flat view, and when I'm not allowed to use that term I will take the nearest allowed term ("flattened view"). After all, almost every file manager has this feature, so it's not such an impressive thing as to make a big noise about it.

Trasd

Post by Trasd »

admin wrote:I agree that, in marketing, impression is everything, but in this case I would find it ridiculuous to sell a feature that's commonly known as "flat view" under a different name. That's almost cheating. It is a flat view, and when I'm not allowed to use that term I will take the nearest allowed term ("flattened view"). After all, almost every file manager has this feature, so it's not such an impressive thing as to make a big noise about it.
I understand and was pretty sure you would assume this position, but it's your decision in the end, and just in case you hadn't thought of it, you now have this option. It was just a suggestion, after all, and I don't blame you for wanting to trade on a term EVERYONE else uses.
Trasd