^ Full Row Select (Flat View & Search)

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Zardoz2293

^ Full Row Select (Flat View & Search)

Post by Zardoz2293 »

I have "Full Row Select" (FRS) enabled, love it. However, I'm confused as to why the (column) Path in the List View (LV) isn't considered part of the FRS in the Flat View (FV) or Search results. I didn't find any references in the help or on the forum (could have missed it). What is the logic for this change in the LV paradigm when it's still a row? Is there some toggle I'm missing that would allow a true FRS in all LV cases? Thanks.
Last edited by Zardoz2293 on 03 Feb 2012 09:42, edited 2 times in total.
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720

admin
Site Admin

Re: Full Row Select (Flat View & Search)

Post by admin »

It's made so that every column left of the Name column is excluded from Full Row Select. This is to enable you to use the lasso even on Full Row Select.

That said, I personally don't care about Full Row Select, and I would not mind changing this. However, I have no idea what the average "Full Row Selector" expects... help me.

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

admin wrote:It's made so that every column left of the Name column is excluded from Full Row Select. This is to enable you to use the lasso even on Full Row Select.
Yes, very cleaver way of addressing the inherent lasso-full-row-select conundrum.
admin wrote:That said, I personally don't care about Full Row Select, and I would not mind changing this. However, I have no idea what the average "Full Row Selector" expects... help me.
One of several reasons why I love XY is the Full Row Sellect (FRS) capability. The definitive selection of a row of data by selecting anywhere (whitespace) in the row is highly desirable. I have accepted and realize the lasso ability is typically lost from having the capability of FRS. I've found I can FRS with keyboard combinations and mouse selection highly complex data sets quicker and more accurate than combo-lasso selection.

I find the left of name column to have a significant negative impact on the FRS as the area to too large; good for lasso but not FRS. I have found the "Show Line Numbers" (SLN) to be a large enough area to provide for a lasso, if needed. However, I acknowledge, there may be other FRS users who might need a larger width than SLN currently provides. Perhaps a configuration capability to provide SLN width setting? OR An FSB setting for a 'lasso bar' in which the SLN would be 'overlayed' when active, and if the SLN isn't active the numbers wouldn't appear, just whitespace, this 'lasso bar' would help in all List Views (LV) beyond the 'Search results' and 'Flat View'. Furthermore, it makes for a completely consistent end-user experience across the LVs, FRS or not FRS. Perhaps the 'Lasso Bar' isn't even associated with the FRS as it might be helpful to some who would want or desire a consistent location for using the lasso. Just some thoughts...
Attachments
Current / Existing Show Line Numbers.
Current / Existing Show Line Numbers.
SLN (Current).png (8.55 KiB) Viewed 3228 times
Lasso Bar Only, no Show Line Numbers
Lasso Bar Only, no Show Line Numbers
Lasso Bar Only.png (8.4 KiB) Viewed 3228 times
"Show Line Number" active inside of Lasso Bar
"Show Line Number" active inside of Lasso Bar
SLN (with Lasso Bar).png (8.45 KiB) Viewed 3228 times
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

I am not a Full Row Select user, but you can set Line number width from:
View | Tab | Columns | Set Line Number Column Width.

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

serendipity wrote:I am not a Full Row Select user, but you can set Line number width from:
Sweet! Thanks! Makes me wonder what magic I'll learn in the coming months with XY and Company.

So effectively just the possibility of removing the 'left of name' zone in the 'Search results' and 'Flat View' modes. What are the thoughts? :?: :arrow: :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Zardoz2293 wrote:
serendipity wrote:I am not a Full Row Select user, but you can set Line number width from:
Sweet! Thanks! Makes me wonder what magic I'll learn in the coming months with XY and Company.

So effectively just the possibility of removing the 'left of name' zone in the 'Search results' and 'Flat View' modes. What are the thoughts? :?: :arrow: :)
I think you are right. FRS users are insane anyway IMO :wink: so I will give them the full load of they want.

Lasso Bar is a nice idea but I'm content with the Line Numbers column.

Marco

Post by Marco »

admin wrote:
Zardoz2293 wrote:

I think you are right. FRS users are insane anyway IMO :wink: so I will give them the full load of they want.

But now you've killed the ability to label-tag-comment from within the list with FRS enabled...
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

admin wrote:Lasso Bar is a nice idea but I'm content with the Line Numbers column.
Wasn't aware of the "Line Number" column having the ability to be sized, nice. Frankly, It was difficult to find where I enabled the Line Numbering as I kept looking in the Configuration.

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

Marco wrote:
admin wrote:I think you are right. FRS users are insane anyway IMO :wink: so I will give them the full load of they want.

But now you've killed the ability to label-tag-comment from within the list with FRS enabled...
I see what you are talking about, but why exactly is this a problem in your workflow once you have selected the item(s) (or otherwise)? You can see the color tags before selection. One would assume once selection has been made an action is going to be carried out immediately on the selected rows. Obviously, I don't see your concern. Please educate me. Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Marco wrote:But now you've killed the ability to label-tag-comment from within the list with FRS enabled...
Damn. I did not think of this. What now? FRS should be forbidden. It's only good for trouble.

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

admin wrote:
Marco wrote:But now you've killed the ability to label-tag-comment from within the list with FRS enabled...
Damn. I did not think of this. What now? FRS should be forbidden. It's only good for trouble.
Honestly, I don't know what the limitation imposed would be.(My request for info from "Marco" below.) If it is the whole "tag" thing, then perhaps the "Column: Tag" could be the only one not included in the FRS when the 'Tag' column is placed on the extreme left?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Zardoz2293 wrote:
admin wrote:
Honestly, I don't know what the limitation imposed would be.(My request for info from "Marco" below.) If it is the whole "tag" thing, then perhaps the "Column: Tag" could be the only one not included in the FRS when the 'Tag' column is placed on the extreme left?
Too complex. I have read what zer0 linked to some days ago and one thing stuck: make the hard decisions. So, if you want FRS you get it. That's my hard decision.

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

admin wrote:
Zardoz2293 wrote:
admin wrote:
That's my hard decision.
I'm still confused. If your "hard decision" for FRS is across the entire row regardless of the List View, Great :mrgreen: . I'm just making an inquiry as to what "Marco" was referencing with the "tags" as I don't see concern, but I'm a newbie and perhaps I'm missing something... I was under the impression the current FRS model was too complex and hence why I made my original post regarding Flat/Search. I'm working with you, I may be green with envy but please don't knockout those pearly whites.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Zardoz2293 wrote:
admin wrote:
Zardoz2293 wrote:
admin wrote:
That's my hard decision.
I'm still confused. If your "hard decision" for FRS is across the entire row regardless of the List View, Great :mrgreen: . I'm just making an inquiry as to what "Marco" was referencing with the "tags" as I don't see concern, but I'm a newbie and perhaps I'm missing something... I was under the impression the current FRS model was too complex and hence why I made my original post regarding Flat/Search. I'm working with you, I may be green with envy but please don't knockout those pearly whites.
Sorry about being confusing. I wanted to say: It stays as it is now (current beta). FRS is FRS, no more exceptions for certain columns.

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

admin wrote:Sorry about being confusing. I wanted to say: It stays as it is now (current beta). FRS is FRS, no more exceptions for certain columns.
Current Beta is Beautiful. Thanks.