^ Full Row Select (Flat View & Search)

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Marco

Re: Full Row Select (Flat View & Search)

Post by Marco »

Zardoz2293 wrote:[cut]I'm just making an inquiry as to what "Marco" was referencing with the "tags" as I don't see concern, but I'm a newbie and perhaps I'm missing something[cut]
My concern is that I'm used to select rows not just by filename, but sometimes by extension, date of creation/modification. With FRS is easy to select rows basing on values far from the filename on the screen, and the old way it used to work it permitted to have the tag and label column on the left of filename with their full functionality.
Now no more, that's it.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Marco wrote:
Zardoz2293 wrote:[cut]I'm just making an inquiry as to what "Marco" was referencing with the "tags" as I don't see concern, but I'm a newbie and perhaps I'm missing something[cut]
My concern is that I'm used to select rows not just by filename, but sometimes by extension, date of creation/modification. With FRS is easy to select rows basing on values far from the filename on the screen, and the old way it used to work it permitted to have the tag and label column on the left of filename with their full functionality.
Now no more, that's it.
I completely understand, but I have to make some hard decisions. The config gets too large and there are too many tweaks. Sorry, but I have to draw a line.

Marco

Post by Marco »

I do perfectly understand Don.
Is there any chance you can introduce a related functionality, as in Win7, where hovering a row highlights it?
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Marco wrote:I do perfectly understand Don.
Is there any chance you can introduce a related functionality, as in Win7, where hovering a row highlights it?
1. I just rethought this and found that these settings:
Configuration | Tags | Toggle Labels by Label column click
Configuration | Tags | Popup by tag columns right-click

should overwrite FRS in the affected columns. So in the next version you should be able to work as you are used to.

2. No, not really.

Marco

Post by Marco »

admin wrote:
Marco wrote:I do perfectly understand Don.
1. I just rethought this and found that these settings:

should overwrite FRS in the affected columns. So in the next version you should be able to work as you are used to.

2. No, not really.
Well, if point 1. becomes true you make my day :D

EDIT: thanks!!!

Muroph

Re: ^ Full Row Select (Flat View & Search)

Post by Muroph »

related bug:

with FRS enabled, the label column does not honor the setting
unless
is also enabled.
the tags and comment columns work as expected.

tested on a fresh install of xy v10.80.0302
My shared scripts:
TeraCopy Integration, Tag Manager, Comments Menu, Text Replacer, Image and Media Tools, Checksum Calculator, Video Calculator
only 5 URLs are allowed on the sig...

Marco

Post by Marco »

Muroph wrote:related bug:

with FRS enabled, the label column does not honor the setting
unless
is also enabled.
the tags and comment columns work as expected.

tested on a fresh install of xy v10.80.0302
I confirm.

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

I have been a hardcore FRS fan for decades. However, after using XY and messing with FRS and non-FRS, I have made some interesting observations where if some minor enhancements were made to non-FRS mode there would be no need for FRS.

If there is some serious interest I'll post my observations and argument to remove FRS. No need to shoot me, I've already done it.

What are your thoughts?
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720

Marco

Post by Marco »

I don't understand this pressure to remove FRS.
However I'm interested in reading your points.

An happy FRS user

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

Marco wrote:I don't understand this pressure to remove FRS.

An happy FRS user
Why have features and code that add to product maintenance which effectively don't add value. Depending on the feature(s) the code behind can be significant. Further, FRS doesn't sport all of the capability and neither does non-FRS. I'll make my points, not to be rude, but I have a complex question for you first: What exactly does FRS do for you, meaning, what specifically are the features gained that you utilize and enjoy and how is that not in non-FRS? In the end I'll give you an option that will make you happier, you just don't know it yet.
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

Zardoz2293 wrote:
Marco wrote:I don't understand this pressure to remove FRS.

An happy FRS user
Why have features and code that add to product maintenance which effectively don't add value. Depending on the feature(s) the code behind can be significant. Further, FRS doesn't sport all of the capability and neither does non-FRS. I'll make my points, not to be rude, but I have a complex question for you first: What exactly does FRS do for you, meaning, what specifically are the features gained that you utilize and enjoy and how is that not in non-FRS? In the end I'll give you an option that will make you happier, you just don't know it yet.
As a fellow FRS-fan, I like the ability to sort on date (to the right of the list) and then only having to move the mouse slightly below, instead of all the way to the left of the list. Not a big deal by itself, but several times a day it starts to add up.

Additionally, without FRS the click-able area of the Name column varies by the name's length, which when combined with having the Name column auto-sized to the largest name, makes for an inconsistent target area.

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

nas8e9 wrote:As a fellow FRS-fan, I like the ability to sort on date (to the right of the list) and then only having to move the mouse slightly below, instead of all the way to the left of the list. Not a big deal by itself, but several times a day it starts to add up.
I don't understand. Is that one or two features?
nas8e9 wrote:Additionally, without FRS the click-able area of the Name column varies by the name's length, which when combined with having the Name column auto-sized to the largest name, makes for an inconsistent target area.
Are you talking about the "selection" of an item for both? It's all about the selection isn't it.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

Zardoz2293 wrote:
nas8e9 wrote:As a fellow FRS-fan, I like the ability to sort on date (to the right of the list) and then only having to move the mouse slightly below, instead of all the way to the left of the list. Not a big deal by itself, but several times a day it starts to add up.
I don't understand. Is that one or two features?
Just one: when working away from the left-most Name column, you don't need to move all the way back to select the item.
Zardoz2293 wrote:
nas8e9 wrote:Additionally, without FRS the click-able area of the Name column varies by the name's length, which when combined with having the Name column auto-sized to the largest name, makes for an inconsistent target area.
Are you talking about the "selection" of an item for both? It's all about the selection isn't it.
The selection of an item, which to me is aided by each item/row having a consistent selection area, i.e. target to click in order to select. With a variable name length and the name column sized to accommodate the largest size automatically (Tools > Customize List > Autosize Columns), shorter file names present a potentially much smaller selection area than the longest.

eil

Post by eil »

i use detailed view only 1/3 of a time, but when i do FRS is real help. as it's already mentioned FRS is good for selecting anywhere on a row. +the selection of full row itself is a great visual help for me, as i don't use auto-size for columns = without FRS it's quite difficult to locate the data/sze/etc of even current file.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

nas8e9 wrote:...The selection of an item, which to me is aided by each item/row having a consistent selection area...
Yes, I agree and, my feelings exactly. Therefore, if that's all there is with the desire for FRS, then all you have to do is add object selection on left-click anywhere in the row for non-FRS. Right-click events are already being check, so adding left-click should be minimal implementation. Assuming there isn't something else in FRS, it, could be eliminated and result in having everyone get what they want. No trying to make features exist in both environments. Less maintenance and overhead equals more time for other goodies. I'm waiting to hear something else in FRS that is used beyond full row selection that isn't in non-FRS. Again, assuming that's all there is with the desire for FRS we need to get Don on board. :D