List View: n item(s) is/are hidden.

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Zardoz2293

List View: n item(s) is/are hidden.

Post by Zardoz2293 »

Confused about how the "Find Files" works correctly. Specifically, Encountered in the view "n item(s) is/are hidden" yet the search criteria should be reporting and showing the 'hidden item(s).' If I use other tools the 'hidden item(s)" are displayed. Having the "Attributes" tab with:
  • all checked as 'not' or;
  • all checked w/o the 'not' or;
  • all unchecked or;
  • all checked
never reveals the elusive items. No other tabs are activated. Bug?
Attachments
List View: "n item(s) is/are hidden."
List View: "n item(s) is/are hidden."
elusive items.png (1.06 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
Last edited by Zardoz2293 on 11 Nov 2011 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720

zer0

Re: List View: n item(s) is/are hidden.

Post by zer0 »

What about "Items in Tree and List" settings in Configuration | General?
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

zer0 wrote:What about "Items in Tree and List" settings in Configuration | General?
Good call, however:

"Show system files and folders" was unchecked (now checked, highly undesirable). It is hard to imagine wanting to display all of the system objects in the tree/list just to be able to perform a 'find/search'. "Find Files" should search only based on the specific criteria of the metadata specified in the 'find' call.
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720

eil

Post by eil »

never through of it('cause always have all hidden/system visible), but now checked and have same opinion:
Zardoz2293 wrote:"Find Files" should search only based on the specific criteria of the metadata specified in the 'find' call.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

zer0

Post by zer0 »

I suspect that since a configuration setting is considered global, it cannot be superseded by a search setting. I don't have a dog in this fight, but I don't think you can have your cake and eat it.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

zer0 wrote:I suspect that since a configuration setting is considered global, it cannot be superseded by a search setting. I don't have a dog in this fight, but I don't think you can have your cake and eat it.
No dogs. No fight. I hold out my hand out in peace. Consider this: The global settings you apply to the find capability, and in this case set the attributes to those global settings as a default and when your reset the filter to defaults. However, you can uncheck or check the global settings to perform your find. I've done this in my own horizontal software over a decade ago and it was extremely successful and accepted with the end-users. The find capabilities in XY are very extensive and impressive. The UI in regards to the "Attributes" tab and the interaction with the global settings could use an enhancement to improve the functionality.

I've always been able to have my cake and eat it too in software development, that's why I love the craft of science and art.

If there was serious interested (Don), I'd take the time to post a concept solution for implementation.