Delete button on toolbar

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
lem

Delete button on toolbar

Post by lem »

Is there by chance a way to have the delete button on the toolbar permanently delete files instead of sending them to the recycle bin? I realize shift clicking the button does this, but was hoping to have a way to do it with a single mouse click.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I won't presume to speak for Admin/DL, but I'd say that is standard functionality of Windows that a pgrm does not normally permanently delete files..I'd say it's the rare exception that one could do so...and typically more in a file utility than a explorer type utility..

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:I won't presume to speak for Admin/DL, but I'd say that is standard functionality of Windows that a pgrm does not normally permanently delete files..I'd say it's the rare exception that one could do so...and typically more in a file utility than a explorer type utility..
Yes. Forcing Shift for a permanent delete is Windows standard and a good practice, I think.

surrender

Post by surrender »

Lem!!

If you really dont mind risking the permanent file deletion then you can do it by right clicking on the recycle bin and then properties and checking the option 'Donot move files to the recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted'.

This ofcourse is at your own risk.

lem

thanks

Post by lem »

Thanks for the replies - guess everyone's just a little different. Even when you shift-delete you still get prompted and get a chance to cancel the delete... Personally I rarely use the Recycle Bin so I may just change the properties as suggested. Thanks again for the replies - love the program, just registered yesterday.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Having the Recycle Bin always seemed a bit redundant to me also...until I accidently deleted a file that I shouldn't have.. :cry: so now I use the shift-delete method for files like podcasts that were one-time only or prior releases of software, etc...and just empty the R-B at end of day...so I have 2nd chance to keep that file that got selected without me noticing it.. :roll:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Having the Recycle Bin always seemed a bit redundant to me also...until I accidently deleted a file that I shouldn't have.. :cry: so now I use the shift-delete method for files like podcasts that were one-time only or prior releases of software, etc...and just empty the R-B at end of day...so I have 2nd chance to keep that file that got selected without me noticing it.. :roll:
On the other hand, I like people that take risks without a back up or undo! I'll add the Nuke button! :twisted:

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

The only thing I'd ask is that an checkbox option in config to enable/disable the "Nuke" be available...as some other utilities have....since I'd not want to have that option easily happen simply by misplacing cursor and having a spurious dbl-click...using shift makes it non-accidental...

Update: While I was typing this, Don updated the Beta...I see it's a Toolbar item...which I presume can be made unavailable?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:The only thing I'd ask is that an checkbox option in config to enable/disable the "Nuke" be available...as some other utilities have....since I'd not want to have that option easily happen simply by misplacing cursor and having a spurious dbl-click...using shift makes it non-accidental...

Update: While I was typing this, Don updated the Beta...I see it's a Toolbar item...which I presume can be made unavailable?
Sure enough. If you fear the Nuke don't place it on your toolbar. :wink:

lem

wow!

Post by lem »

admin wrote:
j_c_hallgren wrote:Having the Recycle Bin always seemed a bit redundant to me also...until I accidently deleted a file that I shouldn't have.. :cry: so now I use the shift-delete method for files like podcasts that were one-time only or prior releases of software, etc...and just empty the R-B at end of day...so I have 2nd chance to keep that file that got selected without me noticing it.. :roll:
On the other hand, I like people that take risks without a back up or undo! I'll add the Nuke button! :twisted:
wow. just wow - thanks :D