Need help troubleshooting network slowness

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
JustinF

Need help troubleshooting network slowness

Post by JustinF »

I've been a long time XYplorer user. Unfortunately I'm having network slowness issues. They started cropping up several months ago, but I never took the time to stop and troubleshoot it. I'm putting this in the quesions & answers forum because I know Don has written some speedy network code, so it's probably a configuration issue on my side.

I have a network share mapped as a drive. When I browse the various directories the list in XY populates very fast. The problem I'm having is that when I click on large files (~100MB) XY is unresponsive for 10+ seconds. Here are my network related configuration settings:
  • Auto-Refresh
    • Auto-Refresh: Checked
      • In network locations as well: UNchecked
  • Icons
    • Use generic icons for super-fast browsing: Checked
      • But only in network locations: UNchecked
    • Show icon overlays: UNchecked
    • Show embedded icons on Properties tab: UNchecked
  • Miscellaneous
    • Assume that servers are available: UNchecked
Anyone have any ideas what else I can do to eliminate the long wait when I click on large files?
Justin
Windows 7 Professional

admin
Site Admin

Re: Need help troubleshooting network slowness

Post by admin »

click on large files??? A single click does not do much... :?

Try to turn off File Info Tips...

JustinF

Post by JustinF »

admin wrote:click on large files??? A single click does not do much... :?

Try to turn off File Info Tips...
Show file info tips was checked...but In networked locations as well was not. I turned off file info tips anyway but that made no difference.

Interesting, the file's extension seems to matter. If the extension is .exe or .dll there is significant lag between when I click on the file and when it actually gets selected and XY is responsive. Even on the same file, giving it an extension other than .exe or .dll yields a nice responsive experience.
Justin
Windows 7 Professional

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 23 Jan 2016 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

JustinF

Post by JustinF »

grindax wrote:
JustinF wrote:If the extension is .exe or .dll there is significant lag between when I click on the file and when it actually gets selected and XY is responsive.
Have you got XYplorer.exe and XYcopy.exe in your exclusions list for your anti-virus?
That seemed to have been the key! I'm using Microsoft's Security Essentials....added exceptions to the two exes you mentioned and it's now speedy again. Many thanks!
Justin
Windows 7 Professional

unrealreality

Post by unrealreality »

Sorry, I know this thread is really old, but I've been experiencing this laggy EXE issue on my Synology network for a while. Finally got fed up and decided to search. Adding xy to the exceptions list in Windows 8 defender fixed this. Finally no more lag. Thank you!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for info!