cannot get preview video to work

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
damevenus

cannot get preview video to work

Post by damevenus »

can someone help me configure xyplorer so that i can preview videos from it? as it stands, the only videos that work are asf and wmv formats. the rest like my youtube flv and even my mp4 videos will not play. i use kmplayer to play all my videos as it saves me from having to download every decoder out there on my computer.

now i want to know if there is a way i can make kmplayer to be the default "preview player" in the xyplorer so that whenever i click on any of my flv and mp4 videos on the file lists, the preview will automatically select kmplayer as the system player to play the videos and not keep showing error message: "Cannot Decode".

thanks in advance.

zer0

Re: cannot get preview video to work

Post by zer0 »

damevenus wrote:can someone help me configure xyplorer so that i can preview videos from it? as it stands, the only videos that work are asf and wmv formats. the rest like my youtube flv and even my mp4 videos will not play. i use kmplayer to play all my videos as it saves me from having to download every decoder out there on my computer.
The help file states: What formats actually work is dependent on the configuration of your local system: the Windows version, the version of Media Player is installed, the version of Internet Explorer is installed. By a rule of thumb you can say: if WindowsMediaPlayer (sic) can play it, XYplorer can play it too.
damevenus wrote:now i want to know if there is a way i can make kmplayer to be the default "preview player" in the xyplorer so that whenever i click on any of my flv and mp4 videos on the file lists, the preview will automatically select kmplayer as the system player to play the videos and not keep showing error message: "Cannot Decode".
Currently, there is no way to select a particular player.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

damevenus wrote:can someone help me configure xyplorer so that i can preview videos from it?
Hi and welcome to the XY forums!

Zer0 is correct in his reply that users cannot set another player...however, I would also say that I have found by installing "ffdshow" from Free-Codecs helped me to get some previews to work that didn't otherwise.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

damevenus

Post by damevenus »

zer0 wrote:
damevenus wrote:now i want to know if there is a way i can make kmplayer to be the default "preview player" in the xyplorer so that whenever i click on any of my flv and mp4 videos on the file lists, the preview will automatically select kmplayer as the system player to play the videos and not keep showing error message: "Cannot Decode".
Currently, there is no way to select a particular player.
That is too bad and thanks for the reply. I hope in the future version, there is such an option in xyplorer because the WindowMediaPlayer is quite limited with what files can play. If not, well... when I double click my videos, my default player will play them anyway. I just hoped that I could at least run the flv as I had seen on your demo videos (somewhere before I decided to buy this software) that it can play youtubes videos. That was why I was wondering why mine did not work. Oh well...

damevenus

Post by damevenus »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
damevenus wrote:can someone help me configure xyplorer so that i can preview videos from it?
Hi and welcome to the XY forums!

Zer0 is correct in his reply that users cannot set another player...however, I would also say that I have found by installing "ffdshow" from Free-Codecs helped me to get some previews to work that didn't otherwise.
thanks for the warm welcome!!! :P

Thanks for the recommendation for ffdshow. I will definitely give it a try and let you know if works!

damevenus

Post by damevenus »

i know this is an old post. just want to give a follow up response as i did promise to let you know if ffdshow worked for me or not. actually ffdshow did not work for me either. turns out, there were 2 reasons why my media preview was not working:
1) standard wmplayer 11 don't seem to play flv, avi and mp4 videos at all
2) my laptop was missing some internal system files to recognize media encoding

after i restored my c drive to it's last image backup before i started cluttering my laptop with loads of junk softwares and then try xyplorer again, the preview thing finally is working for me including the image preview which was not before. however, mp4 and avi were selectively cast out. so what i did was install media player codec pack which supports almost any modern video and audio files out there. This codec pack is compatible with Microsoft Windows Media Player 11. hence, my xyplorer can preview my flv, avi, mp4, mkv, and many other video formats. this is so cool!!! :P :mrgreen:

i don't need to install another media player since xyplorer and wmplayer are just good enough. YEAH!!!

anyway, thanks j_c_hallgren and zer0 for your help. and if anyone out there is having problem with the preview not working with xyplorer, you can try installing a codec pack like what i did and save yourself from installing multiple decoders from all over the places. 8)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cool, many thanks for the feedback! :D

cadu

Post by cadu »

Just sharing information about how to preview MP4 and other formats like MKV, MTS, and MOV within XYplorer.
I just formatted my computer and performed a Windows 10 clean install.
Although I could see thumbnails for MP4, MKV, MTS, and MOV, these formats couldn't be previewed by XYplorer out of the box.
Further codecs needed to be installed, as already discussed in some threads in this forum.
There are many bloated codec packs, which generally include, among other stuff, the LAVFilters.
Actually, installing directly just the LAVFilters (default options) is enough to preview the mentioned video formats in XYplorer.
LAVFilters is a open-source project, available in Github: https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

@cadu: You seem to think that this info is important enough to add to every thread related to video previews.
I'm sorry but I disagree, if anyone has such problems and does a search of the forum, they should find it without the need for several duplicate posts.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, if it helps to reduce support work... I think 3 places is okay.

cadu

Post by cadu »

admin wrote: 05 Oct 2021 17:14 Well, if it helps to reduce support work...
That's the very intention I had.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

@Don: I wasn't aware that this solution was so high up on the list to fix preview issues, to me it was just "one" possible solution.
@cadu: I didn't mean to offend but as I read all the new posts on this forum, duplication seems unnecessary to me.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Installed those LAVFilters on my Win10. Works well. So, one support case less. ;)

damevenus

Post by damevenus »

cadu wrote: 05 Oct 2021 16:26 Just sharing information about how to preview MP4 and other formats like MKV, MTS, and MOV within XYplorer.
I just formatted my computer and performed a Windows 10 clean install.
Although I could see thumbnails for MP4, MKV, MTS, and MOV, these formats couldn't be previewed by XYplorer out of the box.
Further codecs needed to be installed, as already discussed in some threads in this forum.
There are many bloated codec packs, which generally include, among other stuff, the LAVFilters.
Actually, installing directly just the LAVFilters (default options) is enough to preview the mentioned video formats in XYplorer.
LAVFilters is a open-source project, available in Github: https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases
Hi Cadu,
Thank you for sharing. I was the original person who posted the inquiry and never expect after all so many years, someone would continue to respond. I have not visited this forum since so I would not know that you had posted elsewhere about LavFilters. So thanks for specifically posting it on this post. :appl:

I recently had to do a clean install of Win7 ultimate and I ran into the same problem. I've forgotten how I solved the issue until I read your post. I installed LAVfilters and notice this codec is insufficient. Some of my mp4 files will play while others will stutter when playing on the preview setting. So I would say LAVFilters codec is limited. It definitely does not play wma and wmv. I doubt it would play flv files too.

Anyway, I dug into my storage and found how I previously fixed the Xyplorer preview video issues. I just installed Windows Media Codec Pack v4.0.2. This is probably outdated but I have no problem with previewing any videos including avi. If you install this, I don't think LAVFilters would be needed. :naughty: Hope this helps anyone else out there.