Preview .MKV video files?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
ghost zero

Preview .MKV video files?

Post by ghost zero »

Is it possible to preview .MKV video files?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Preview .MKV video files?

Post by admin »

Add them to previewed formats and try it. Depends on your system...

ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

works for me, thanks!

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

unoentremil wrote:Doesn't work for me. I just see raw file data. No preview or media file info (bitrate, size, etc).

I mainly work with MKV files so adding support for this format would be much appreciated. Any workaround installing a driver or something?

Best,
Diego
Hi,
Does the MKV file outside XYplorer? Like in Windows media player?
If the answer is no then you might need an appropriate codec to get it to work inside XY.
For some of us codec packs such as K-Lite codec pack is the easiest solution.
Read this before you decide to use it:
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive ... ay_mkv.cfm

Marco

Post by Marco »

LAV Filters are awesome too.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

Post by 40k »

serendipity wrote:
unoentremil wrote:Doesn't work for me. I just see raw file data. No preview or media file info (bitrate, size, etc).

I mainly work with MKV files so adding support for this format would be much appreciated. Any workaround installing a driver or something?

Best,
Diego
Hi,
If the answer is no then you might need an appropriate codec to get it to work inside XY.
There is no MKV codec. MKV files are containers for video, audio, meta, subtitles, etc...
You could have a file called "Big Bang Theory s01e01.mkv" that with ES video in h264 and audio in aac.
I develop scripts that integrate media functionality into Xyplorer.
Hash - Twitch.tv in VLC (NEW 2.0!) - FFmpeg GUI - Youtube downloading
XYplorer for Linux! Tutorial

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

40k wrote: There is no MKV codec. MKV files are containers for video, audio, meta, subtitles, etc...
You could have a file called "Big Bang Theory s01e01.mkv" that with ES video in h264 and audio in aac.
OK, but the point I was trying to make is that using codec packs most of the well known formats can be previewed without hassle. In my case I can preview .mkv files fine here with Klite codec pack (which apparently must include those containers).
The general rule for audio or video preview in XY is if Windows Media player can play it then it's very likely that XY will play it too.

roxyplo

Post by roxyplo »

serendipity wrote:

Best,
Diego
Hi,
@serendipity - a million thanks...to think that all these years I lived without mkv preview !! hooyah ! But why the 'read this before' ? thought it was some kinda dire warning against using k-lite