"Select Items" Suggestions.

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
SkyFrontier

"Select Items" Suggestions.

Post by SkyFrontier »

v9.40.0108 - 2010-09-01 20:24
+ Menu Edit | Select: Added command "Select Items..." by which you
can select items by a list of item names (one per line).
I *always* need such stuff and was doing similar job with File Selector.
-is it possible for the function to ignore extensions?
-is it possible for the function to ignore prefixes?
-could it incorporate File Selector function of reading UNC/URL/local paths too?
-...perhaps partial matches?

Such things could be of great help when sorting stuff out within a folder full of downloaded/locally created .zip files with their corresponding folders created out of .zip base names.
-thanks much, Don! LOVED it, despite the limitations!

---HINT:
To circumvent current limitation, I've:
-copied target file names to clipboard.
-launched "Batch New Items" and set .zip as extensions (context menu > rename special > set extension...)
-used new "Select Items..." function.
-manually selected the lasting prefixed items scattered all around... :|
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

admin
Site Admin

Re: "Select Items" Suggestions.

Post by admin »

SkyFrontier wrote:
v9.40.0108 - 2010-09-01 20:24
+ Menu Edit | Select: Added command "Select Items..." by which you
can select items by a list of item names (one per line).
I *always* need such stuff and was doing similar job with File Selector.
-is it possible for the function to ignore extensions?
-is it possible for the function to ignore prefixes?
-could it incorporate File Selector function of reading UNC/URL/local paths too?
-...perhaps partial matches?

Such things could be of great help when sorting stuff out within a folder full of downloaded/locally created .zip files with their corresponding folders created out of .zip base names.
-thanks much, Don! LOVED it, despite the limitations!

---HINT:
To circumvent current limitation, I've:
-copied target file names to clipboard.
-launched "Batch New Items" and set .zip as extensions (context menu > rename special > set extension...)
-used new "Select Items..." function.
-manually selected the lasting prefixed items scattered all around... :|
Not totally sure what you mean. Can you give an example of an item name list you would like to be able to use?

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

"Select Items" could be able to interpret/select several "source names" like this:

http://www.sofontes.com.br/files/A/Arial%20Unicode%20MS.zip
http://www.sofontes.com.br/files/A/Arial Unicode MS.zip
c:\files\A\Arial Unicode MS.zip
c:\files\A\Arial Unicode MS.rar
file:///c:/files/A/ArialUnicodeMS.zip
_ArialUnicodeMS.zip
_ArialUnicodeMS-01.zip
_Arial Unicode MS.zip
Partial matches optionally - "Arial" and/or "Unicode" (.ini tweak?). Similar to what CTRL+M already does (too much to include?)?
Arial Unicode MS (no extension - XY could ask to select files only - so this "Arial Unicode MS" will be selected among FILES; folders only - "Arial Unicode MS" can also be a folder, so this time it'll be selected; both - in case, "Arial Unicode MS" and "Arial Unicode MS.zip" will both be selected; or variations as "ArialUnicodeMS", too - optionally? Would be good...).

Maybe I'm dreaming, but a rename-preview box could pop and ask how to deal with those files right after selecting then, getting then ready for a next step (renamed and ready to move/copy/whatever). Something like another "Select Items (Rename)...".
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SkyFrontier wrote:"Select Items" could be able to interpret/select several "source names" like this:

http://www.sofontes.com.br/files/A/Aria ... e%20MS.zip
http://www.sofontes.com.br/files/A/Arial Unicode MS.zip
c:\files\A\Arial Unicode MS.zip
c:\files\A\Arial Unicode MS.rar
file:///c:/files/A/ArialUnicodeMS.zip
_ArialUnicodeMS.zip
_ArialUnicodeMS-01.zip
_Arial Unicode MS.zip
Partial matches optionally - "Arial" and/or "Unicode" (.ini tweak?). Similar to what CTRL+M already does (too much to include?)?
Arial Unicode MS (no extension - XY could ask to select files only - so this "Arial Unicode MS" will be selected among FILES; folders only - "Arial Unicode MS" can also be a folder, so this time it'll be selected; both - in case, "Arial Unicode MS" and "Arial Unicode MS.zip" will both be selected; or variations as "ArialUnicodeMS", too - optionally? Would be good...).

Maybe I'm dreaming, but a rename-preview box could pop and ask how to deal with those files right after selecting then, getting then ready for a next step (renamed and ready to move/copy/whatever). Something like another "Select Items (Rename)...".
OK, I will allow paths and then ignore them. Partial matches...hmmm... rather not for now.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Admin:
OK, I will allow paths and then ignore them. Partial matches...hmmm... rather not for now.
-Great!
-...and what about CTRL+M being able to distinguish among file, folder or both? That would help a LOT, so!
-forgot to enter network path as example, in the list above (despite mentioned in the OP). Sorry.
Here it goes:

\\192.168.0.2\Fonts\Arial Unicode MS.zip

Thank you!

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

As suggested, URL decoder could be active in such function (http://www.sofontes.com.br/files/A/Arial%20Unicode%20MS.zip).
-UTF-8 decoder, too!

http://www.pseudo.com/sample/FUNDAÇÃO.txt
(don't know if this is a good idea... "Select Items" should not "translate" FUNDAÇÃO as FUNDAÇÃO, but in presence of such distortion, be able to get one or the other in the file list as some applications do translate FUNDAÇÃO > FUNDAÇÃO, some do the opposite FUNDAÇÃO > FUNDAÇÃO; same for URL decoder. The idea should be when reading UTF-8/URL, be able to look after *both* as they are in fact quite the same thing, encoded or decoded)
Partial matches...hmmm... rather not for now.
-ignore extensions, at least? (BUT distinguishing among file/folder/both?)

:!: - if not, I could try to write a little script hiding files OR folders THEN selecting only among remaining stuff (can't say for sure if this impacts in final result, ie the "select items..." selecting only among files or folders because it's currently "blind" according to which filter is applied at this given moment.

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 22 Jan 2016 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SkyFrontier wrote:-...and what about CTRL+M being able to distinguish among file, folder or both? That would help a LOT, so!
Done. 8)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SkyFrontier wrote:As suggested, URL decoder could be active in such function (http://www.sofontes.com.br/files/A/Aria ... e%20MS.zip).
-UTF-8 decoder, too!

http://www.pseudo.com/sample/FUNDAÇÃO.txt
(don't know if this is a good idea... "Select Items" should not "translate" FUNDAÇÃO as FUNDAÇÃO, but in presence of such distortion, be able to get one or the other in the file list as some applications do translate FUNDAÇÃO > FUNDAÇÃO, some do the opposite FUNDAÇÃO > FUNDAÇÃO; same for URL decoder. The idea should be when reading UTF-8/URL, be able to look after *both* as they are in fact quite the same thing, encoded or decoded).
I already added URL decoding for URLs, but not UTF encoding (I never run into this in real life). And matching "both" might not be intended by the user in every case...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

grindax wrote:I think this new feature is great and will be very useful in a number of scenarios. However, I also think it would be even better if it ignored extensions. Then it could be used whenever selecting similar sets of files, such as after conversions from one filetype to another have taken place, e.g. like when re-ripping audio CDs to AAC and you want to get rid of the corresponding MP3s, or when you've converted a set of files from one video format to another.

I think using this feature together with "File -> To Clipboard -> Item Base(s)" will have many more use case scenarios compared to using it with full filenames.
I see, but I would prefer to make this optional by prefixing a certain special sequence (as the top line) to tell it to ignore extensions. Is that good, and if yes, any ideas?

grindax

Post by grindax »

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

grindax wrote:
admin wrote:I see, but I would prefer to make this optional by prefixing a certain special sequence (as the top line) to tell it to ignore extensions. Is that good, and if yes, any ideas?
Perhaps even a checkbox in the actual dialog itself?
Maybe. Let's wait a bit and see what other ideas come up.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

:!: WILDCARDS!

*Arial Unicode MS.zip
*Arial Unicode MS.%
Arial Unicode MS.% - not the same effect as above!
-being % any number of letters, as there are some unusual extensions as .torrent.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Wilcards also make Select Items more consistent to what current Selection Filter does...
R$ 0,02.

grindax

Post by grindax »