"Select Items" Suggestions.

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Re: "Select Items" Suggestions.

Post by admin »

abc550 wrote:Sorry for my stupidity, but I can't understand, how this feature should work. As there is no any detailed instructions in the documentation, I suppose it must be obvious for everyone. But not for me :oops:

Say, I use some search pattern to find some files, eg those with the word "presentation" in the name. Well, XY finds, say, 10 files, one of them has the exact name "presentation16.doc". Now I copy this filename to clipboard, than I press Alt -> E -> E -> E in order to call Select Items dialog box, than paste the name from the clipboard and press [OK]. But nothing happens, 0 files are selected, as it has been before.
Should I do something else after it to enable this pattern in Select Items? I've tried may different approaches, but this new feature does not wish to work for me :twisted:
Select Items does not work with patterns, only with literal specific unique names (damn, what's the opposite of a pattern?).

To select by pattern use Selection Filter. :)

PS: I think the documentation is okay. Are you using the current help file? (came with v9.50.0100)

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

@abc550:
My usage implies I'm working constantly with lists referring files and their source location (online/offline) and download managers, sometimes. Also, it's usual to me having tens/hundreds of files - so I just need to grab a set of files out of such list/d-load manager like

Code: Select all

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/E/20E90413-712F-438C-988E-FDAA79A8AC3D/dotnetfx35.exe
http://www.fineprint.com/release/fp585.exe
use "Select Items", do a CTRL+SHIFT+X (Move [from] Here to New Subfolder), enter a folder name and voilà, all easily sorted - no hassle on scrolling after individual files among hundreds of files/folders.

Another subtle but powerful additions on accomplishing such tasks are:

v9.40.0109 - 2010-09-02 15:33
    + Menu Edit | Select | Selection Filter...: Now you can restrict the 
      selections to files or folders. This is achieved by attaching one 
      of the following prefixes to the pattern:
        *:  => select files only
        \:  => select folders only
and

v9.50.0006 - 2010-09-14 20:30
    * Menu Edit | Select | Selection Filter...:
      - Swapped the functionality of Ctrl+OK and Shift+OK:
        Ctrl+OK:  Add matches to the current selections
        Shift+OK: Remove matches from the current selections
-total control over file management! :wink:
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

abc550

Post by abc550 »

admin wrote:Select Items does not work with patterns, only with literal specific unique names (damn, what's the opposite of a pattern?).
Surely. As you can see from my example, "presentation16.doc" is just unique file name of the specific file. When I enter it into the Select Items dialog box (option "Ignore extensions" is disabled), I suppose, that this file will be selected. But it does not. Or do I miss anything in your explanation?
I think the documentation is okay. Are you using the current help file? (came with v9.50.0100)
Yes, this current Help document, which is called by pressing F1.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

abc550 wrote:
admin wrote:Select Items does not work with patterns, only with literal specific unique names (damn, what's the opposite of a pattern?).
Surely. As you can see from my example, "presentation16.doc" is just unique file name of the specific file. When I enter it into the Select Items dialog box (option "Ignore extensions" is disabled), I suppose, that this file will be selected. But it does not. Or do I miss anything in your explanation?
I think the documentation is okay. Are you using the current help file? (came with v9.50.0100)
Yes, this current Help document, which is called by pressing F1.
OK, if presentation16.doc is listed in the current active list, it should indeed be selected. Are you sure it is not?

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Admin:
OK, if presentation16.doc is listed in the current active list, it should indeed be selected. Are you sure it is not?
All (selection filter/select items) works here even with a dummy "presentation16.doc" file, extension ignored or not. Just in case.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

But NOT in the Search Results tab, which might be where abc550 is trying to select the files.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:But NOT in the Search Results tab, which might be where abc550 is trying to select the files.
Good point, that's a bug.

abc550

Post by abc550 »

admin wrote:
Gandolf wrote:But NOT in the Search Results tab, which might be where abc550 is trying to select the files.
Yes, I tried to work with search result (that's why I'd described my previous steps when searched by the pattern "presentation".
This time I'm very, very happy to here about a bug in the soft, because I'd thought, that there a bug should be rather in my brains :lol:
Hope, you'll remove this bug till version 9.60 release.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

abc550 wrote:
admin wrote:
Yes, I tried to work with search result (that's why I'd described my previous steps when searched by the pattern "presentation".
This time I'm very, very happy to here about a bug in the soft, because I'd thought, that there a bug should be rather in my brains :lol:
Hope, you'll remove this bug till version 9.60 release.
Oh yes, I'll remove it today. It's a pleasure.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Can "Select Items" jump to the first match on list after selecting (something like Spot does)? This would make the task a bit more pleasant to deal with within a huge list...
Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SkyFrontier wrote:Can "Select Items" jump to the first match on list after selecting (something like Spot does)? This would make the task a bit more pleasant to deal with within a huge list...
Thanks!
Sounds good to me. Any objections anybody?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:
SkyFrontier wrote:Can "Select Items" jump to the first match on list after selecting (something like Spot does)? This would make the task a bit more pleasant to deal with within a huge list...
Thanks!
OTOH, Selection Filter does not do it... hmmm...

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

admin wrote:
admin wrote:
Thanks!
OTOH, Selection Filter does not do it... hmmm...
It could. It is a natural step, I think, and very useful to me (environment: hundreds of files to sort stuff out, reason why I proposed the Selection Filter/Select Items adjustments which now make my day far better productive - having to scroll down and look after the first entry, sometimes only one, is a very difficult task sometimes).
Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I had another (or additional) idea: Next version has a command "Focus First Selected Item" (#1048) under Miscellaneous: "In the List, move the focus to the first selected item from top, and move it into view if necessary."

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Thought about it a bit.
I really see that Select Items/Selection Filter auto-focusing the first selected item on view port will help me much, Don.
-But additionally having a key to jump to any selected item on List will be great! (I was reluctant due to having another great feature to assign a CKS to, but the gain will be invaluable, in fact.)
So... thanks!