Any fixes for these annoyances

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
yogi

Any fixes for these annoyances

Post by yogi »

I have my window in List view. If I highlight a file in the 2nd column it will automatically scroll it to the first column. This is extremely annoying and I can't find any option to disable this.

I was surprised to see there is no default feature to save a group of tabs. I know you can save one set of tabs to the Catalog but that's not enough and it's tedious to open it that way and it doesn't preserve the order of the tabs they were in. I need more than one group. This is a dealbreaker for me.

Are you only allowed to have one toolbar on the window? That seems pretty limited. Why can't you add as many as you want? You can't even add a lot of toolbar buttons to the toolbar because they won't fit on the window. The least you could have done is made it wrap to the next row. Also the large toolbar buttons are a little too big and the small icons are way too small IMO.

I would like a delete button that deletes the file without sending it to the recycle bin but still gives you a confirmation prompt. The nuke button seems like an accident waiting to happen.

I've been using xplorer2 and was looking around for something better. I was hoping xyplorer would be. It does quite a few things better but these annoyances ruin it for me.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: Any fixes for these annoyances

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Hi and welcome to the XY forums!
yogi wrote:I have my window in List view. If I highlight a file in the 2nd column it will automatically scroll it to the first column. This is extremely annoying and I can't find any option to disable this.
I normally use Details view but went into List view and was unable to get this to occur (if I understood what you meant)...the only time any scrolling occurred was when I selected a file in a column that was not fully visible and it then moved it into full view...and that does seem to differ from how WE handles that.

Maybe that is something that needs a look at, Don, as to why?
I was surprised to see there is no default feature to save a group of tabs. I know you can save one set of tabs to the Catalog but that's not enough and it's tedious to open it that way and it doesn't preserve the order of the tabs they were in. I need more than one group. This is a dealbreaker for me.
The default way is via Catalog and the "Insert as new category>Tabs" which allows you to save any number of sets of tabs...yes, the category default name is Tabs but that can be changed via Properties...

The tabs are stored in the same order they were in and when you do "Open Folders in Tabs", they are done in same seq...there have been some scripts here to make this process a bit easier.
Are you only allowed to have one toolbar on the window? That seems pretty limited. Why can't you add as many as you want? You can't even add a lot of toolbar buttons to the toolbar because they won't fit on the window. The least you could have done is made it wrap to the next row. Also the large toolbar buttons are a little too big and the small icons are way too small IMO.
Yes, XY is presently limited to one toolbar...it's never really been an issue and has some GUI design implications if there were more...about wrapping, that has been discussed here recently http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4704 and icon sizing has also been the topic of some recent posts.
I would like a delete button that deletes the file without sending it to the recycle bin but still gives you a confirmation prompt. The nuke button seems like an accident waiting to happen.
You can use the Shift key with the Del to get that (presuming you've set the confirm opt in Config)...or you can create a custom TB buttom with that command ID (#170)

To help you out, here's a sample of what can be created for a CTB:
SS - 02-19-10 @ 01-36-51001.jpg
SS - 02-19-10 @ 01-36-51001.jpg (18.84 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
And since the script is multi-line, here's what it might look like:
SS - 02-19-10 @ 01-41-55001.jpg
SS - 02-19-10 @ 01-41-55001.jpg (6.48 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
This gives the two methods of deleting on one TB icon with the ability to select your choice on left-click.
I've been using xplorer2 and was looking around for something better. I was hoping xyplorer would be. It does quite a few things better but these annoyances ruin it for me.
Well, before you give up on XY, please get a bit more familiar with what can be done via some alternate methods from x2 and just because XY may not do it now, it may well do so in future...and having more users here who provide input helps drive the product development.

I'm sure that x2 doesn't have anywhere near the speed of implementing user requests that XY does...not saying things always get done when you want but I've had minor items added within a few days and that is very unusual with other products
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

yogi wrote:I have my window in List view. If I highlight a file in the 2nd column it will automatically scroll it to the first column. This is extremely annoying and I can't find any option to disable this.

I agree about the Nuke button and the List scroll. Will change this.

Toolbar wrap is planned.

About the tab groups: Do you expect just to save a couple of locations and open them in tabs, or do you want all the tab properties (Locked, Home...) and even List properties (Sort order, etc,) stored and restored? Tip: the latter is rather unlikely to happen. :wink:

pjdevries

Post by pjdevries »

I second the tab group request. Working with XYplorer intensively on a day to day basis, I really mis it. The catalog definitly is not a workable substitute. As for the question which properties to (re)store: as many as possible, because it will only make XYplorer more versatile and usable.
Pieter-Jan de Vries
Obix automatisering
(Windows 7 64x, Linux)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

pjdevries wrote:I second the tab group request. Working with XYplorer intensively on a day to day basis, I really mis it. The catalog definitly is not a workable substitute. As for the question which properties to (re)store: as many as possible, because it will only make XYplorer more versatile and usable.
So how would a tab group be referred to in the GUI. Where to store, where to restore?

zer0

Post by zer0 »

yogi wrote:Also the large toolbar buttons are a little too big and the small icons are way too small IMO.
May I ask what criteria you're using to judge whether a button is too big/small? Would you say that it is a question of a screen's resolution? It is more scalable, thus plays a bigger role in how buttons are shown.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

pjdevries

Post by pjdevries »

admin wrote:So how would a tab group be referred to in the GUI. Where to store, where to restore?
I guess in a way similar to the Catalog. In fact you might just use the catalog for that purpose. It already enables you to open all items of a category in multiple tabs. The one level structure is considered a feature, according to the XYlporer help. But by allowing multiple levels and adding persistence of various tab and list properties, the Catalog would become even more powerful.
Pieter-Jan de Vries
Obix automatisering
(Windows 7 64x, Linux)

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Suggestion on tab groups:

1) have a single button/function to save pane 1, pane 2 or both; step 2, give that group a name.
2) have a TAB GROUPS entry on "Favorites".
3) Mouse hovering a group could pop-up an info tip all/3 first "D:\Program\...\test\" entries saying which folders are contained in a group. Oh. We can't have info tips for other even more useful stuff. Forget it.

As for what can be saved: it should be VERY USEFUL if we could be allowed to save according to what's being used as a pattern on the active pane/tab - it seems flexible enough and easy to implement ("monitor settings of current tab/copy settings to all the other tabs being saved"). This can provide a solution for a small inconvenience, as a side effect: having opened several tabs, each with its own settings, I now want to set them all based on a single one's settings.
Yogi:
I have my window in List view. If I highlight a file in the 2nd column it will automatically scroll it to the first column. This is extremely annoying and I can't find any option to disable this.
It sounds familiar as the Sticky Selection bug (bug? Perhaps. Annoyance? TOTALLY!!! Renders a potentially useful tool to nearly dangerous stuff to me) previously discussed here.

Anyway, I completely second Hallgren's words: over time XYplorer gains so much power on so many sides that deferring in favor of other tool just because of small annoyances seems to be counterproductive. A clear example was the recent addition of a "search tags" button/function - one could write a script and at maximum post it online and have it visible to just a few. That alone would be great, but now all of us are allowed to out-of-box have the same experience.

-suggestion: can the "click to set/unset a tag" feature be a toggle function, Don? I saw accidents happening when using that and a "read-only mode" will certainly prevent losing several important tags, such as negotiation statuses for business users and currently setting tags to files that doesn't fit the criteria for that (because of tags' columns position, near to "name").
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SkyFrontier wrote:Suggestion on tab groups:

1) have a single button/function to save pane 1, pane 2 or both; step 2, give that group a name.
2) have a TAB GROUPS entry on "Favorites".
3) Mouse hovering a group could pop-up an info tip all/3 first "D:\Program\...\test\" entries saying which folders are contained in a group. Oh. We can't have info tips for other even more useful stuff. Forget it.

-suggestion: can the "click to set/unset a tag" feature be a toggle function, Don? I saw accidents happening when using that and a "read-only mode" will certainly prevent losing several important tags, such as negotiation statuses for business users and currently setting tags to files that doesn't fit the criteria for that (because of tags' columns position, near to "name").
1) This is not easy. Currently I have no capacities for it.

2) set/unset a tag. You are talking about a kind of Undo in case of accidental clicking? Or you simply want to turn off the tagging-by-clicking: you can do that in config / tags...

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:
SkyFrontier wrote:Suggestion on tab groups:

1) This is not easy. Currently I have no capacities for it.
This should be possible using scripting, maybe even 2 panes in a sequence. Using <curpath> and #1018, one can whip up a script to cycle through tabs, saving their locations and then one can make a script to restore that group. Not easy, like Don said, but doable.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Don:
2) set/unset a tag. You are talking about a kind of Undo in case of accidental clicking? Or you simply want to turn off the tagging-by-clicking: you can do that in config / tags...
It wasn't there when I worked intensively with that function, may have been added when I went off for a few months. Have to keep an eye on *everything*, as it seems... Sorry for that, but thanks!
zer0:
This should be possible using scripting, maybe even 2 panes in a sequence. Using <curpath> and #1018, one can whip up a script to cycle through tabs, saving their locations and then one can make a script to restore that group. Not easy, like Don said, but doable.
...so do you suggest I propose a formal asking thread for that, or leave it open in here, as I see that as a frequent request over here? I'd vote for a "script request"...
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

zer0

Post by zer0 »

SkyFrontier wrote:
zer0:
...so do you suggest I propose a formal asking thread for that, or leave it open in here, as I see that as a frequent request over here? I'd vote for a "script request"...
That's entirely your call. Though, since Don said that currently he has no capacity to do this, you may want to go down the script route for the time being.
Windows 7/10

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
Maybe that is something that needs a look at, Don, as to why?
And now in v8.80.314, we have this chg:

Code: Select all

* List: In "List" view clicking an item in a cropped column does not scroll that column into view anymore.
yogi: So you see how promptly some requests get implemented here? I doubt that x2 would have done this type of chg as quickly.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Reve_Etrange

Post by Reve_Etrange »

admin wrote:
pjdevries wrote:I second the tab group request. Working with XYplorer intensively on a day to day basis, I really mis it. The catalog definitly is not a workable substitute. As for the question which properties to (re)store: as many as possible, because it will only make XYplorer more versatile and usable.
So how would a tab group be referred to in the GUI. Where to store, where to restore?
Wherever you want -- Catalog, Favorites, new top-level menu... :wink:

yogi

Post by yogi »

Sorry I didn't respond to the other responses earlier. I forgot about this post.
The default way is via Catalog and the "Insert as new category>Tabs" which allows you to save any number of sets of tabs...yes, the category default name is Tabs but that can be changed via Properties...

The tabs are stored in the same order they were in and when you do "Open Folders in Tabs", they are done in same seq...there have been some scripts here to make this process a bit easier.
Restoring tabs through the Catalog window is not very convenient. It should be right on the toolbar. There is also some bug with the order sequencing when restoring tabs. If you have a tab open and focused that is also in your saved group of tabs, that tab gets moved all the way to the left when the tab group is loaded. For example, if you have one tab opened and focused, say to C:\, and you also have a C:\ tab in your tab group, and that saved C:\ tab was not originally all the way to the left side, it will now be on the left side. I hope that makes sense.

You can use the Shift key with the Del to get that (presuming you've set the confirm opt in Config)

One of the reasons to have buttons is so you don't have to use the keyboard. Otherwise you could say the same thing about the Nuke button. Why have one? Just use Shift and Del and turn off confirmation.
...or you can create a custom TB buttom with that command ID (#170)
Maybe that's fine for the experienced power user but most people aren't going to know what commands or scripts to type in.

This is why allowing only one toolbar is a serious limitation. You should be able to create as many toolbars as you wish and place them whereever you want. You should be able to save the tab groups right to the toolbar and then go into the toolbar customization window and order them however you like. This is how it's done in xplorer2:
1.jpg
1.jpg (64.99 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (26.52 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (44.44 KiB) Viewed 3144 times

Something like this shouldn't be that difficult I imagine. If you have the capacity to create all these other great features of xyplorer I'm sure you can do this.