Mouse-hover to select, Single-click to activate?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
jonono

Mouse-hover to select, Single-click to activate?

Post by jonono »

Hi, i really want to like this file mgr,
but the 1st thing i look to do is see any file/folder selected by mouse hover,
and only 1 click to activate it - not 2 clikcs! - hurts my wrists after little while, too excessive movements.

please help me how to do this, as i searched all through the help + the forums,
not finding any reference? why? this is a most basic 1st kindergarden step for me .....

i got the understanding about the settings for full row select vs. partial -

i am coming from using Quizo plugin for Windows Explorer, & xplorer2 for the dual pane functionality,
but heard many good things about XY so hope to find it suit my styles, thanks you !

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: Mouse-hover to select, Single-click to activate?

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Hi and welcome to the XY forums!

I did some searching on the forums myself to see what I could find and unfortunately, the results weren't too encouraging... :(
Here's what I found: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 05&p=34988

Don's answer there was last July and I don't see any updates...maybe he can provide a reason why this isn't possible?
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Hello from me as well!

While Explorer supports single-click, I have a feeling that this functionality may come with "Custom Event Actions".
This feature is on the roadmap (http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=830) and was voted for quite favourably here: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4382 So fingers crossed! :D

Regards.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jonono wrote:and only 1 click to activate it - not 2 clikcs! - hurts my wrists after little while, too excessive movements.
I know what you mean. Why not program the mouse wheel button to be a dbl-click?! It saved my wrist long ago and still does all day long.

jonono

Post by jonono »

yay! thanks for the immediate & friendly responces - now THAT's encouraging :D

so here's my setup - Explorer.exe = 46 MB Private Bytes as per ProcessExplorer

* Quizo Tab & Address Bars,

* XFilesDialog buttons across top of Title Bar (2.2 MB per ProcessExplorer)

* TitleBarClock Pro sized to fit into the title bar (1.2 MB per ProcessExplorer)

* Mmm+ as a context menu manager (1.6 MB per ProcessExplorer)

* TeraCopy as a copy manager

* AutoHotKey - I've got all hotkeys, etc crammed into only 2 scripts that each only take 2 MB RAM

* StrokeIt (1.1 MB per ProcessExplorer)

* VistaSwitcher as an Alt-Tab replacement (2+ MB per ProcessExplorer)

I tried to duplicate alot of these functionalities with PowerPro,
but haven't been able to consistently figure out that scripting program! :evil:
Why not program the mouse wheel button to be a dbl-click?!

yes, but still need the functionality to Hover-Select !

AHK already programs the middle mouse button to 1-click close programs on the TaskBar,
1-click close programs in Quizo tabs & launch new folder tab when clicked on folder in folder tree,
launches new tabs when clicked on hyperlinked URLs in any browser window (IE/FF/Opera/Chrome),
closes tabs when clicked on tabs in any browser window.

I have StrokeIt extensively scripted, with bindings to AHK - just a little flick to make XYplorer change from 1 - 2 panes,
as well as the reverse stroke to change from horizontal to vertical.

I just like to be able to hover-select a file/folder, flick the mouse that's scripted to press F2 (Rename) then it auto-inserts a new file/folder name from the clipboard.

Also as shown above, to hover-select a file/folder to copy/move with TeraCopy.

But the promise of XYplorer is the portability, the miniTree,
and bunches of other stuff that i'm gonna have fun discovering now this week!

Thnks to everyone concerned with making this such a productive and functional application,
and for the (in)valuable time you give to help us out in these forums.

**** edited photo to 1024x768 as per j_c_hallgren's feedback - thx! :D ****
Last edited by jonono on 18 Jan 2010 15:55, edited 2 times in total.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

jonono wrote:yay! thanks for the immediate & friendly responces - now THAT's encouraging :D

Thnks to everyone concerned with making this such a productive and functional application,
and for the (in)valuable time you give to help us out in these forums.
Fast responses are what we pride ourselves on here! If you go for more than a few hours without any feedback, it's quite unusual...sometimes answers come in just minutes so check in often, ok? Appreciate the thanks, as some new users here don't seem to understand the effort req'd.

We may not always have the desired answer but we do try...and in the future, if you'd be kind enough to downsize any embedded screenshots to fit on 1024x768, it would be helpful for us on older hardware to view more easily.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

jonono

Post by jonono »

and in the future, if you'd be kind enough to downsize any embedded screenshots to fit on 1024x768, it would be helpful for us on older hardware to view more easily.
thx for the feedbacks - i annoyed myself with that!
so I quick edited & uploaded a new one

will be vigilant in the future .........

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:Why not program the mouse wheel button to be a dbl-click?! It saved my wrist long ago and still does all day long.
Since clicking is mouse wheel's secondary ability after scrolling, so it requires an exertion of a lot more effort to click and has smaller surface area than a mouse button. Explorer allows for 1-click open event and combining it with FVS would produce a mighty effect, especially in application repositories (where there are a lot of EXE files) ;)
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

JustinF

Post by JustinF »

This same request was requested WAAAAAAYYYYY back in 2005, when XYplorer was called TrackerV3! Ahhhh, the memories. Anyway, I still think hover-to-select single-click-to-launch is a superior way to work in a file manager for many people, so I guess I'm casting a vote (if it matters) for this feature.

For me, I don't get why there's single-click to launch in some places and double-click to launch in others. Buttons, menu items, hyperlinks, toolbars, etc. are all single click. Then you have icons on the desktop and files in file managers that are double-click. Why the disparity? Doesn't make sense. Ever watched someone new(ish) to computers launch applications? I can't tell you how many times my father starts up multiple web browsers from his Quick Launch Bar because he double-clicks it.....because he's trained to double-click icons on the desktop. Yeah, most of us are used to it...trained. But it is not intuitive. So anyway..... :lol:

Edit:
Oh, and my middle button's clicker is all but broke, so no middle-click=double-click for me!
Justin
Windows 7 Professional

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

JustinF wrote:For me, I don't get why there's single-click to launch in some places and double-click to launch in others. Buttons, menu items, hyperlinks, toolbars, etc. are all single click. Then you have icons on the desktop and files in file managers that are double-click. Why the disparity? Doesn't make sense. Ever watched someone new(ish) to computers launch applications? I can't tell you how many times my father starts up multiple web browsers from his Quick Launch Bar because he double-clicks it.....because he's trained to double-click icons on the desktop. Yeah, most of us are used to it...trained. But it is not intuitive. So anyway..... :lol:
The main (huge) difference : you never want to just select a button, for another action (later on). Most of the times when I click on an item in XY, I want to select it, nothing more. And I can't begin to tell you how annoyed I would get if every time I move my mouse it would change my current selection out of thin air! Such a behavior is something I've never understood (for me), and I've never confused one-click action on "non-selective" objects (menus, buttons, etc) vs items of a list, as seen in a file manager.
Also why single-click on Tree changes location, but it takes a dbl-click on List. All makes sense to me. Can you imagine the confusion : one-click to launch/open, but Ctrl(/Shift)+Click to select. Or do we loose those features? Ctrl+Hover? Yeah, whatever it is, I don't care, it's not for me.
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

JustinF

Post by JustinF »

jacky wrote:Also why single-click on Tree changes location, but it takes a dbl-click on List. All makes sense to me. Can you imagine the confusion : one-click to launch/open, but Ctrl(/Shift)+Click to select. Or do we loose those features? Ctrl+Hover? Yeah, whatever it is, I don't care, it's not for me.
Ahhhh, but see, for those of us that want that behavior there is no confusion! Less clicks everywhere. Different strokes for different folks. And, no, you don't lose the Ctrl(/Shift)+Click to select functionality.

You almost sound like you think you'd be forced to use the suggested mechanism! I don't think the suggestion was to replace the current way, but to provide another option...one that comes with Windows Explorer. You wouldn't be forced to use it. :? Anyway, Don doesn't like it, so I doubt you'll have to worry about seeing an additional optional setting in the configuration window.
Justin
Windows 7 Professional

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

JustinF wrote:
jacky wrote:Also why single-click on Tree changes location, but it takes a dbl-click on List. All makes sense to me. Can you imagine the confusion : one-click to launch/open, but Ctrl(/Shift)+Click to select. Or do we loose those features? Ctrl+Hover? Yeah, whatever it is, I don't care, it's not for me.
Ahhhh, but see, for those of us that want that behavior there is no confusion! Less clicks everywhere. Different strokes for different folks. And, no, you don't lose the Ctrl(/Shift)+Click to select functionality.

You almost sound like you think you'd be forced to use the suggested mechanism! I don't think the suggestion was to replace the current way, but to provide another option...one that comes with Windows Explorer. You wouldn't be forced to use it. :? Anyway, Don doesn't like it, so I doubt you'll have to worry about seeing an additional optional setting in the configuration window.
It has always been my strategy that even the optional things should not appear like total madness to me. jacky, you can relax.

jonono

Post by jonono »

thx to all for responding !

@zer0 - "and combining it with FVS" - what is FVS, please?

& for me, JustinF has summed it up once again :
Anyway, I still think hover-to-select single-click-to-launch is a superior way to work in a file manager for many people
and
Ahhhh, but see, for those of us that want that behavior there is no confusion! Less clicks everywhere. Different strokes for different folks.

and most importantly - it's all about Options & Choice, not the "1-Way/My-Way" syndrome :
I don't think the suggestion was to replace the current way, but to provide another option...one that comes with Windows Explorer. You wouldn't be forced to use it.

With deep Respect for the creation of this wonderful soft,
and I know that the long-timers here have all heard it before, & many times ......

everyone has their "non-negotiables" ...... logical or not ..... this be mine

:wink:

zer0

Post by zer0 »

jonono wrote:@zer0 - "and combining it with FVS" - what is FVS, please?
FVS - Folder View Settings. More info: http://www.xyplorer.com/tour/index.php?page=fvs and http://88.191.26.34/XYwiki/index.php/Fo ... w_Settings Also, it may be beneficial, in the long term, to familiarise yourself with acronyms, here's a good list: http://88.191.26.34/XYwiki/index.php/Glossary
Windows 7/10