Tab groups

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Reve_Etrange

Tab groups

Post by Reve_Etrange »

The way I use XY, I generally have 25+ tabs open, but actually there are associated with only four or five tasks that I perform on a regular basis ie. browsing music, managing downloads, editing the code of my websites etc. Thus, several tabs are used together when I do something, and they could be grouped together, with some visual clue (color) and/or within some kind of container, like a "tab of tabs". Does it make sense? is it doable?

It could also be nice to save/bookmark a group of tabs, so that you can close it and re-open all the tabs of the group with a single click.

zer0

Re: Tab groups

Post by zer0 »

This is possible if you don't mind doing a bit of manual jiggery-pokery in making it work. Here's a script:

Code: Select all

#353; 
  goto "ENTER YOUR TAB LOCATION HERE";
  #340;
  goto "ENTER YOUR TAB LOCATION HERE";
So the principle is simple. It closes all your current tabs but one and then opens a new set as per your defined locations. Alternatively, you could fire up several instances of XYplorer using different INIs in switches and each instance would its own set of tabs.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Catalog allows you to save all current tabs in a category, and later restore them. So you can switch the whole set. But not really different independent groups of tabs.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Admin said:
The Catalog allows you to save all current tabs in a category, and later restore them. So you can switch the whole set.
What?
HOW??? :D
(the easy steps, please! It answers another question I've posted somewhere on another person's thread regarding Save Workflow - answer led to use /ini parameters vs shortcuts, which I will study later on...)
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

SkyFrontier wrote:
Admin said:
The Catalog allows you to save all current tabs in a category, and later restore them. So you can switch the whole set.
What?
HOW??? :D
(the easy steps, please! It answers another question I've posted somewhere on another person's thread regarding Save Workflow - answer led to use /ini parameters vs shortcuts, which I will study later on...)
Tabs-to-Catalog:
Right-click on catalog> Insert as New category here>Tabs

Catalog-to-Tabs
Right-click on the category you created and "Open folders in tabs"

Reve_Etrange

Post by Reve_Etrange »

What about implementing the tab groups feature (as described) sometime?

It could be done by adding an entry "Add tab to group on the left" to the right-click menu of the tabs, which would either create a group of tabs with the current one and the one on its left, or add the current tab to the existing group on its left. Tab groups could be marked with a color (tabs of the same group would be colored). Then, you could save a tab groups in the Catalog or anywhere else, and restore it without replacing the other open tabs.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

I can only create one single set as TABs. Submenus containing sets of tabs would be great.
It seems that zer0's code will handle it better, now I'm learning how to use CTB (Custom Toolbar Button).
That default button should be customizable, also - or changed to something else less... errr... "disgusting". =)
Different .INIs/shortcuts are now deprecated. =))
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

Reve_Etrange

Post by Reve_Etrange »

Reve_Etrange wrote:What about implementing the tab groups feature (as described) sometime?

It could be done by adding an entry "Add tab to group on the left" to the right-click menu of the tabs, which would either create a group of tabs with the current one and the one on its left, or add the current tab to the existing group on its left. Tab groups could be marked with a color (tabs of the same group would be colored). Then, you could save a tab groups in the Catalog or anywhere else, and restore it without replacing the other open tabs.
+1, that's a great idea, mate!

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Reve_Etrange wrote:+1, that's a great idea, mate!
You're quoting and approving your own idea? :? :wink:
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

Reve_Etrange

Post by Reve_Etrange »

Yeah, that's pathetic -- these guys quote themselves and ignore OP, how classy.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Reve_Etrange wrote:Yeah, that's pathetic -- these guys quote themselves and ignore OP, how classy.
I was wondering about that self-quoted "approval" myself... :lol:

Had it been something along the lines of an added thought or correction, then self-quote can make sense but in this case, it really was a bit odd as if you didn't "+1" the idea, the thread wouldn't have existed. :wink:
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

Maybe I am missing something, but is this wish very different from the one created? 4 years back?
Just to add my vote, i would like the "Tab groups" feature too, although the catalog trick to open several folders is a decent workaround.

Reve_Etrange

Post by Reve_Etrange »

Reve_Etrange wrote:Yeah, that's pathetic -- these guys quote themselves and ignore OP, how classy.
Don't worry, I don't mind.
I'm OP, and I approve tab groups. Let's make the dream of our 2006 forefathers come true!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Reve_Etrange wrote:
Don't worry, I don't mind.
I'm OP, and I approve tab groups. Let's make the dream of our 2006 forefathers come true!
Today I got an idea how to go about these tabgroups. Now I just need the time... :)

Reve_Etrange

Post by Reve_Etrange »

God bless you!