OT: Migrating from XP to Win7

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Linkaday
Location: Hamburg, Germany - Win 10 Home v22H2 x64 1920x1080 (100%)

Re: OT: Migrating from XP to Win7

Post by Linkaday »

O&O offers a Migration Suite (and if my memory serves me well - Paragon too) that claims to workaround the limitations of WET and migrate applications as well.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

Linkaday wrote:O&O offers a Migration Suite (and if my memory serves me well - Paragon too) that claims to workaround the limitations of WET and migrate applications as well.
Paragon System Upgrade Utilities 2010 and also Laplink PCmover. I have no experience with either.

mwb1100

Post by mwb1100 »

FWIW (very little, I imagine), when I'm upgrading an OS I generally avoid using an upgrade install or other automatic migration of applications. I usually take it as an opportunity to just restart fresh and reinstall my applications as I need them. I figure (rightly or wrongly) that this will get rid of most of the cruft in the registry and file system that has likely accumulated over the years (more accurately: avoid pulling that cruft over to the new OS installation).

But there's no question, it's more work and time.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the migration software tips and general tips!!
mwb1100 wrote:FWIW (very little, I imagine), when I'm upgrading an OS I generally avoid using an upgrade install or other automatic migration of applications. I usually take it as an opportunity to just restart fresh and reinstall my applications as I need them. I figure (rightly or wrongly) that this will get rid of most of the cruft in the registry and file system that has likely accumulated over the years (more accurately: avoid pulling that cruft over to the new OS installation).

Same here, but in my case it's a LOT more work and time. I would go for a migration software if I knew it's good. But I don't see any with a good enough reputation to actually trust it so far as to allow to play with the bowels of my next OS...

Thank god there are at least some good portable applications on my system... :wink:

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Confirmed: it is possible to save a WET file onto another internal HDD so it should be piece of cake, except for the apps ;)
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:Confirmed: it is possible to save a WET file onto another internal HDD so it should be piece of cake, except for the apps ;)
Cool, thanks for checking!

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

admin wrote:Thanks for the migration software tips and general tips!!
mwb1100 wrote:FWIW (very little, I imagine), when I'm upgrading an OS I generally avoid using an upgrade install or other automatic migration of applications. I usually take it as an opportunity to just restart fresh and reinstall my applications as I need them. I figure (rightly or wrongly) that this will get rid of most of the cruft in the registry and file system that has likely accumulated over the years (more accurately: avoid pulling that cruft over to the new OS installation).

Same here, but in my case it's a LOT more work and time. I would go for a migration software if I knew it's good. But I don't see any with a good enough reputation to actually trust it so far as to allow to play with the bowels of my next OS...

Thank god there are at least some good portable applications on my system... :wink:
It's exactly as mwb1100 said...

...and as you keep you XP running: are you in a hurry to prepare 7 for all these old functions? If not: in your place I would prefer the clean install.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Update of my state of mind:

I will get myself a completely new computer with Win7 Prof 64, plus a bag of drugs to get through installing and configuring about 200 softwares. :mrgreen:

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote:Update of my state of mind:

I will get myself a completely new computer with Win7 Prof 64, plus a bag of drugs to get through installing and configuring about 200 softwares. :mrgreen:
I'm not equipped to give pharmaceutical advice, but as far as processors are concerned it might be useful to get one with Intel's or AMD's hardware virtualization feature. Microsoft's Windows Virtual PC requires it and it enables (when run on Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate) running Windows XP Mode, a free and fully licensed copy of Windows XP that's ready to run (no Windows XP setup required).

As far as I know, Intel's Core 2 Duo 8xxx and Quad 9xxx as well as the Core i5 and i7 models support Intel Virtualization Technology; I *think* all of AMD's models support it. My personal preference would be an Intel Core i5 750 or even better, an Intel Core i7 860; unfortunately, processor "fan boys" can make for awkward threads (no pun intended) so I'll leave it at that. :wink:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nas8e9 wrote:
admin wrote:Update of my state of mind:

I'm not equipped to give pharmaceutical advice, but as far as processors are concerned it might be useful to get one with Intel's or AMD's hardware virtualization feature. Microsoft's Windows Virtual PC requires it and it enables (when run on Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate) running Windows XP Mode, a free and fully licensed copy of Windows XP that's ready to run (no Windows XP setup required).

As far as I know, Intel's Core 2 Duo 8xxx and Quad 9xxx as well as the Core i5 and i7 models support Intel Virtualization Technology; I *think* all of AMD's models support it. My personal preference would be an Intel Core i5 750 or even better, an Intel Core i7 860; unfortunately, processor "fan boys" can make for awkward threads (no pun intended) so I'll leave it at that. :wink:
My current plan is AMD Athlon64 X2 215 AM3. You probably can make it through the German bits: http://www3.atelco.de/articledetail.jsp ... 8&agid=610

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote:My current plan is AMD Athlon64 X2 215 AM3. You probably can make it through the German bits: http://www3.atelco.de/articledetail.jsp ... 8&agid=610
Assuming it's this one, it does support virtualization.

What would bother me, is the limit of 4 GB; that's pretty much the minimum to use a 64-bit OS. With virtualization added, things can get a bit tight. A motherboard that supports at least 8 GB would allow more headroom. Come to think of it, 6 or 8 GB right now would seem safer and more comfortable to me.

The same applies to the number of internal HD's supported: 2 IDE- (not really the way to connect HD's these days) and 0 SATA-connectors (1 HD and 1 DVD) spare and without specifying how many free internal 3,5" bays, again this would seem limiting to me. It is probably a micro ATX-case.

Just my $ 0,02, mind... :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nas8e9 wrote:
admin wrote:My current plan is AMD Athlon64 X2 215 AM3. You probably can make it through the German bits: http://www3.atelco.de/articledetail.jsp ... 8&agid=610
Assuming it's this one, it does support virtualization.

What would bother me, is the limit of 4 GB; that's pretty much the minimum to use a 64-bit OS. With virtualization added, things can get a bit tight. A motherboard that supports at least 8 GB would allow more headroom. Come to think of it, 6 or 8 GB right now would seem safer and more comfortable to me.

The same applies to the number of internal HD's supported: 2 IDE- (not really the way to connect HD's these days) and 0 SATA-connectors (1 HD and 1 DVD) spare and without specifying how many free internal 3,5" bays, again this would seem limiting to me. It is probably a micro ATX-case.

Just my $ 0,02, mind... :D
:) Just keep talking, what you think of this one:
http://www2.atelco.de/articledetail.jsp ... 0&agid=608

BTW, your say " 0 SATA-connectors " but you mean "2"? I don't know much about history, uh hardware, but this is buffling...

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote: :) Just keep talking, what you think of this one:

BTW, your say " 0 SATA-connectors " but you mean "2"? I don't know much about history, uh hardware, but this is buffling...
Sorry, I meant 0 SATA-connectors *spare*: both the single HD as well as the DVD-drive use a SATA-connector.

The processor of this configuration sadly doesn't support hardware virtualization. This configuration from the same site does have a processor with hardware virtualization as well as having room to expand both RAM as well as the number of HD's.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nas8e9 wrote:
admin wrote: :) Just keep talking, what you think of this one:

Sorry, I meant 0 SATA-connectors *spare*: both the single HD as well as the DVD-drive use a SATA-connector.

The processor of this configuration sadly doesn't support hardware virtualization. This configuration from the same site does have a processor with hardware virtualization as well as having room to expand both RAM as well as the number of HD's.
So we are going from 319,00 € to 599,00 €, almost double price for possible extra 4GB RAM and some spare SATA... hmmm, thanks anyway!

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote:So we are going from 319,00 € to 599,00 €, almost double price for possible extra 4GB RAM and some spare SATA... hmmm, thanks anyway!
I knew there was a problem with trying to spend other people's money... :D

Seriously, I don't know your budget or how long you expect to keep this computer running. I tend to buy every 3-5 years and so I do try to keep an eye on the ability to upgrade the machine. This thread started with your desire to not have to do a reinstall of all your applications; based on that, I'm guessing you'd rather not buy a new machine that often. From the configurations on that site, this was the cheapest while having a processor with hardware virtualization as well as good expandibility.

But yes, almost doubling your budget seems a bit... ambitious. Sorry. :mrgreen: