Bulk Copy with Rename.

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
timhatz

Bulk Copy with Rename.

Post by timhatz »

I have a whole bunch of reports, with the extension .rpt in about 15 folders, so I wanted to COPY them into one folder for archival purposes...

So I ran a find files (include sub folder), with .rpt, and created my list, I then selected them, and told it to copy them into a destination folder. But because some of the reports had the same name, the copy 'warned' that I will need to overide or delete a report. I do not want to do that.

I would like to use the same patterns as the rename function, and say... On my new copy just append a sequential number to the copy. How do I do that?

I can't rename the reports first, because then my applications would fail, becuase they could not find the orignal reports anymore.

Thanks, Tim

admin
Site Admin

Re: Bulk Copy with Rename.

Post by admin »

Check the Help for "Rich Copy". It could be your friend...

timhatz

Post by timhatz »

Didn't even know that existed... It took me while to figure out I had to drag while holding down the right button...

Worked great!!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

timhatz wrote:Didn't even know that existed... It took me while to figure out I had to drag while holding down the right button...

Worked great!!
Yeah, it's a great feature that's in XY for almost 10 years now (added Feb 2000!), and probably only 5 people ever understood and used it. My fault?

timhatz

Post by timhatz »

I'm going to use the same function for all my digital camera pictures... I have a ton of folders, and a lot of my pictures are duplicates, that I have made before...

I plan on using this copy to move all my pictures into one folder, and then run a 'duplicate file tool' against it... delete all duplicates, and then have one folder with all my unique pictures all in one spot... I'll use the date suffix.

However, is it possible to use the 'patterns' in the copy as...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

timhatz wrote:However, is it possible to use the 'patterns' in the copy as...
For example?